£26000 budget for new car.

For Sale & Wanted Forum
nurgle

Post by nurgle »

Will the seller (I assume private) agree to have the car inspected? I’ve got a 2013 v6s with almost the same spec now at 70k. Issues arose from about 40k in.

By indie check I don’t mean the 160 odd point thing Jag would do I mean an independent who could give it a proper mechanical once over.

Noting it’s not an S, so no Limited slip diff. These seem to break regularly (I’ve had 2x). Even so the diff would be an area to get thoroughly checked.

Wheel bearings should be checked. I’ve had 2x replaced.

Squeaking/ seized active exhaust valves. Function easily checked by an indie.

Make sure you play some if your favourite music, your go to tracks so to speak. You may find significant vibration from the door speakers at ‘normal’ volume.

Sat nav needs updating if not done. Mines woefully out of date.

2 year Jaguar approved used warranty was vital for me to buy my car (and also used the mot cover - leaking steering boot)

Regards,

Rob

Mattk

Post by Mattk »

Hi Rob it is private and to be honest I don’t have the time to arrange an independent inspection so unfortunately I will have to take the risk. According to the advent the car is the S model but I will check that now and look out for the things you have mentioned. Thanks.
scm

Post by scm »

Mattk wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 5:10 am I have found one bang on budget but maybe high on the miles at 50,000 and 2013. Is 50,000 miles to high to buy for one of these.
I wouldn't be put off by 50,000 miles. But buy it based on condition - has it been well looked after? You can probably tell at first glance! A well maintained higher mileage car is probably a better bet than a garage queen that's only been driven out to be washed and waxed ... they are made to be driven! And the car has only averaged 7,000 miles a year ....
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
Hammers

Post by Hammers »

My XE had 100000kms on the clock and I bet it was better looked after and ran better than many with 20k. Had the Jaguar service guys even tell me that the regular driving seemed to have less issues than the ones they had that did a few k a year. Wouldn’t be put off but I would want to see the service history and check the usual suspect issues. Don’t ever rush and think you don’t have time, a bad buy can be a disaster.
Current: Fuji White MY19.5 P300 R-Dynamic F-Type Convertible 20" Black wheels, Exterior Black Pack, Windsor Leather performance Seats etc.
Previous: Italian Racing Red MY17 Jaguar XE 25t R-Sport, Black Pack, 19" black venom wheels, sunroof etc.