Rear Tyre Choice

Anything F-Type related......
Chrissyg

Post by Chrissyg »

Hi all,

I know tyres have been done to death, but I'm just after a few thoughts on what to do in my current situation, with my V6S convertible.

Front tyres are near enough brand new P Zero's, rears are down to about 2.5mm (again, P Zero's), and I'm wondering what to replace the rears with.. I'd love to have the bank balance to support a full set of Michelins, but I'm not currently in that position as I'm moving house. Knowing that you "shouldn't" mix front and rear tyres, I suspect the suggestion will be just to buy some P Zero's and be done with it until the front and rears wear out and replace the set at a later date.

Anyone have any thoughts or been in a situation like this and done something different than the obvious buying P Zero's?

Thanks,

Chris
20MY D240 RR Velar - Firenze Red
200tdi Defender 90
Ex-MOD SWB Series III Land Rover

scharlton

Post by scharlton »

Hi,

Mine came with P Zero's up front and dunlops on the rear. Fine for 9 months of the year but the rears are comical/scary with any cold temperature and dampness on the road. As a fair weather motorcyclist I only rode in the dry and above 10 degrees C so the bike had little use in the winter months. I sold my motorbike and joined the F Type world expecting year round fun but have to say I apply the same rules to the car.
Trying to drop a mercedes saloon the other day had the back stepping out on roundabouts with almost no throttle input.
Anyway, most people have poor views on P Zero's but don't be tempted with Dunlops on the rear. I will be changing to Michelins at next tyre change.
2014 Coupe 5.0R RWD
White
Herts
Derivative

Post by Derivative »

Recently changed the worn rear P-Zeros with Michelin Pilot Sport 4. I wanted PS4S but there are none anywhere. Even Michelin haven't got any at the moment.
I wouldn't worry too much about different brands front/back but would always change as a pair on an axle. Don't forget, front and back are not going to wear at the same rate anyway (giving differences in handling).
MY2018 R-Dynamic 340 coupe
scm

Post by scm »

I agree with Derivative - put a matching pair on an axle, but don't worry about using different makes front and rear so long as they meet the required specs. Unless you drive to the limit any differences between front and rear shouldn't be a problem.

Regarding scharlton's comment about the rear being skittish, that's a feature of the RWD. I had similar experiences with my 2010 XKR and was amazed at how planted the AWD F-Type is in comparison.
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
Chrissyg

Post by Chrissyg »

Thanks all, completely agree to keep the same tyres across the axle, but will look and see what I can find in terms of slightly more suitable rears.

I'm completely happy with having a lively rear axle, as I didn't buy an F Type for a driving experience like I had with my old Z4 which was very german.. I've found once the P Zero's have warmed up a little the grip dramatically improves, but when cold is comical how little grip there is available.

Will keep an eye out for some Michelins soon! Appreciate the feedback.
20MY D240 RR Velar - Firenze Red
200tdi Defender 90
Ex-MOD SWB Series III Land Rover
Tel

Post by Tel »

P0's are absolutely horrible and greasy when they're hot though from my experience.

Mich PS4S are the way to go - Just look over on our sister forums in the US.

I love them so much so I have two sets stacked in my garage...they are fab.
Quiet, surefooted and just exceedingly good...Everything that the P0's aren't!
2016MY V8R IRR
ITG Maxogen Cold air intake kit
Billet OBD lock
Forged lightweight Blades
Full custom Xpel Ultimate PPF wrap
Piano Black badges
17mm MST Hubcentrics
Smarttop remote
Black exhaust tips
Porterfield RS-4 Carbon Kevlar pads
Mich PS4S's
+ more 💩
basher

Post by basher »

Tel wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 2:49 pm P0's are absolutely horrible and greasy when they're hot though from my experience.

Mich PS4S are the way to go - Just look over on our sister forums in the US.

I love them so much so I have two sets stacked in my garage...they are fab.
Quiet, surefooted and just exceedingly good...Everything that the P0's aren't!
So we all know where to go if we can't find any for sale through normal retail outlets! :lol:
Rhodium silver F-Type 400 Sport AWD coupe.

PB Brakes big brake kit: drilled & slotted rotors, big yellow calipers. 😁
XZ4

Post by XZ4 »

From all the positive comments about PS4s on here I think when my P Zeros need replaced I'll be switching
MY14 3.0S Convertible. Polaris White with black hood, Black pack, Design pack, 20" Cyclones, Red performance heated seats, heated flat bottom steering wheel, Meridian sound system, plus lots more

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post