Main dealer Oil change

Anything F-Type related......
Timbo

Post by Timbo »

I used to tell them no test drives unless spoken to and explained and def no washing, used put notes all over the inside of the car
Firesand Coupe R
Vossen HF-3 Satin Bronze
SVR Rear Spoiler
H&R springs
Oem Project 7 grill
VAP tune, upper and lower pulleys,
200 cell cats, induction kit.
Supersprint cat back valved back box
Loud, very loud lol
650-660 bhp

stickshift steve

Post by stickshift steve »

I work as a truck technician at a main dealer. We always give a truck a road test after any fluids have been changed to make sure the oil and fuel filters do not leak .After 36 years in the job i have had several that have not sealed fully.
Chrissyg

Post by Chrissyg »

I’d be interested to hear if that’s every dealer.. I’ve always said to them I’ll do the test drive very locally, not them. They had an old f type of mine in for months with a corrosion issue, and it came back to me with 160 miles more on the clock! I couldn’t fathom why, given they’d been sorting rust in the boot. Made me very suspicious and lost trust in them.
So I test drive my cars, and on 30mph roads around the dealership, I think you’d be pretty safe and know pretty quickly if something was wrong. If dealer tech has been diligent, then it shouldn’t be necessary (especially after an oil change!!) much lower risk that way than a dealer tech taking it for a 7 or more mile jolly..
I guess The safety risk for me is reduced somewhat as I still work for JLR and have had some pretty advanced driver training due to driving a lot of prototypes in various conditions!
20MY D240 RR Velar - Firenze Red
200tdi Defender 90
Ex-MOD SWB Series III Land Rover
PhilB

Post by PhilB »

If the oil change was done with the engine cold then the oil level needs to be checked when the engine is up to working temperature then left for 10 minutes.
As per the manual.
Perhaps that's why a test drive was done ?
It's simple to check on the app afterwards in any case and see the average speed on that journey so you know if it was ragged.
mickjaguar

Post by mickjaguar »

Surprising given the incontrol journey history has been a standard feature since 2015.

I've only been aware of a couple of journeys. One to get an MOT once (surprised they weren't a test centre), but the car appeared to go straight there and back. The other was to have the sill realigned on delivery, where it went to a dealer group body shop 30 miles away,

A few miles after servicing is reasonable, particularly if there's been brake pads etc. It probably depends on location, as a 7 mile round trip here is about the same in minutes.
2019 SVR Coupe, Velocity Blue
Previous 2015 V6 340 Coupe IRR
scm

Post by scm »

stickshift steve wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 8:07 am I work as a truck technician at a main dealer. We always give a truck a road test after any fluids have been changed to make sure the oil and fuel filters do not leak .After 36 years in the job i have had several that have not sealed fully.
Ah, but no-one could accuse you of joyriding in a truck! :lol:
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
PhilB

Post by PhilB »

I've just merged the two topics.
Deleted User 1715

Post by Deleted User 1715 »

PhilB wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 8:58 am If the oil change was done with the engine cold then the oil level needs to be checked when the engine is up to working temperature then left for 10 minutes.
As per the manual.
Perhaps that's why a test drive was done ?
It's simple to check on the app afterwards in any case and see the average speed on that journey so you know if it was ragged.
I thought oil changes should always be done with a warm engine - is this no longer the case with new oils?

As for ‘test drives’ I once reviewed the dash cam footage after a dealer service (not jaguar) and the driver was speeding, using his mobile and then went to a supermarket to do some shopping before returning to the garage. Needless to say I had a long meeting with the manager afterwards. I’m sure the vast majority of dealer technicians do a professional job but the odd bad experience leads to distrust of the whole industry.
PhilB

Post by PhilB »

GusA wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 11:01 am I thought oil changes should always be done with a warm engine - is this no longer the case with new oils?

As for ‘test drives’ I once reviewed the dash cam footage after a dealer service (not jaguar) and the driver was speeding, using his mobile and then went to a supermarket to do some shopping before returning to the garage. Needless to say I had a long meeting with the manager afterwards. I’m sure the vast majority of dealer technicians do a professional job but the odd bad experience leads to distrust of the whole industry.
I wouldn't pour cold oil into a warm engine and the modern oils are normally 0W so pretty fluid at normal temps.
I had a similar thing with a previous XE.
Looked on the app and it had obviously been driven from the dealership to a posh house about a mile away and returned.
Not keen on mine being used as a taxi.
I spoke to the service manager.
I pointed out they can drive my car for the purpose of testing it or ensuring any repairs are ok.
They did not have my permission to use it to run errands or to drop customers home.
I then pointed out that if they used it outside of my permission then I would class it as an unauthorised taking of a motor vehicle and report it to the police as such and have someone nicked.
I think that got his attention.
They sometimes do take the p**s so it's good to remind them they probably aren't insured under their insuramce as well.
Deleted User 1715

Post by Deleted User 1715 »

PhilB wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 12:32 pm
GusA wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 11:01 am I thought oil changes should always be done with a warm engine - is this no longer the case with new oils?

I wouldn't pour cold oil into a warm engine and the modern oils are normally 0W so pretty fluid at normal temps.
I had a similar thing with a previous XE.
Looked on the app and it had obviously been driven from the dealership to a posh house about a mile away and returned.
Not keen on mine being used as a taxi.
I spoke to the service manager.
I pointed out they can drive my car for the purpose of testing it or ensuring any repairs are ok.
They did not have my permission to use it to run errands or to drop customers home.
I then pointed out that if they used it outside of my permission then I would class it as an unauthorised taking of a motor vehicle and report it to the police as such and have someone nicked.
I think that got his attention.
They sometimes do take the p**s so it's good to remind them they probably aren't insured under their insuramce as well.
That makes sense about the oil thanks.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post