Cayman v F type and poor Jaguar sales

Anything F-Type related......
scm

Post by scm »

I found the 4-pot felt quite light when I had one as a loaner. It was the same colour as my V8 coupe and nobody noticed it was different. And it was a convertible! :D
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!

simpleR

Post by simpleR »

Drive a P300 and a Cayman and report back and let us know.

Seems you like BMW and Porchse from your username tag online so I can predict your answer as a lot of your comments are about residues (all second cars are holding good at the mo).
400 Sport AWD - MY18 - Black, pano roof and thats about it 8-)
BruceTheQuail

Post by BruceTheQuail »

Covid has made used car prices unusually high which is temporary, but in the usual course with Jags I would expect to lose (if being traded in) at least 30% in year one and 40% over the first two years and 50% over the first 3, i.e. a 3 year old car will be worth about a half of its new car driveaway price, if you are trading it in. It then seems to level out a bit.

I think that is pretty typical of luxury cars which the Jags are. But as long as you buy them for a decent price (as it seems you are), you are paying less at the outset so the overall cost of ownership is pretty good.

I'd probably also mention that the F Type is a car that might change your two year keeper rule. I generally only kept my cars for 2 years tops, I've had my F Type now for 5 years and I'm not losing the love.
2016.5 V6s in IRR with lotsa wrap
VAP Quad exhaust, pulley and tune, 21 inch Vorsteiners
2019 Mustang V8 manual in subtle orange with tasteful stripes
Deleted User 1715

Post by Deleted User 1715 »

It’s a personal choice, drive them both and make your own decision. Most on this forum prefer the FType, obviously! I would imagine most on the Porsche Cayman forum prefer them.

If you’re seriously worried about depreciation/residuals then just buy an older car and keep it.
scm

Post by scm »

The trouble with trading in an F-Type after 2 years is what on earth do you replace it with? Only another F-Type will do! :lol:
I can understand trading in an ordinary car quickly since you're likely to get bored with it - I've had my F-Type for 3 years now, and it still feels like I've only just bought it.
Hammers

Post by Hammers »

Poor performance P300? Wow odd comment. Yes it isn’t a V8 so will never have the straight line speed and the push you back in the seat performance, but the balance is better, the handling is great, it is what it attempts to be a 4 cylinder lighter version car which packs a punch. I think the person saying they but and sell cars and don’t buy a 4 cylinder has very little data to go on at this stage but is just giving their own emotive opinion.
Current: Fuji White MY19.5 P300 R-Dynamic F-Type Convertible 20" Black wheels, Exterior Black Pack, Windsor Leather performance Seats etc.
Previous: Italian Racing Red MY17 Jaguar XE 25t R-Sport, Black Pack, 19" black venom wheels, sunroof etc.
santoshlv426

Post by santoshlv426 »

I've received many compliments on my FT. Doubt you'll get that driving a Porsche as it is after all - yawn - a Porsche. The Jaguar is by far the prettier car.
F Type 5.0L V8 RWD 2016
Rhodium Silver

scm

Post by scm »

And in a Jag people will let you out into traffic. ;)
Pacemaker1000

Post by Pacemaker1000 »

Lol good comments, to answer a few.
Would love to test drive both cars but dealer not playing ball and next nearest only has V8 demos.
Performance gets bad rap down to weight and 0-60 times. Of all coupes and hot hatches with 2.0t 300ish bhp it’s the slowest.
Yeh, people don’t like letting Porsches out at junctions and always have a Saxo boy racer up your arse.
When you say lose 50% are you talking retail or discounted price! There’s 8k off at moment bringing base car to 47k. If half retail then half that would be 27.5k in four years so only 5k a year off reduced price which is pretty good tbh.
Currently three year old 2.0 going way more than that.

On an upside my Porsche being traded to WBAC, as soon as V5 comes back, has gone up 1.1k overnight making it just under a 5k gain in two years 🤪

Edit. On pcp deals Jag undercuts cayman by 4k over four years on a hand back basis despite being 5k more
Deleted User 2987

Post by Deleted User 2987 »

I tried a Cayman, Z4, Supra and Alpine A110, then ended up with a P300.
The Jag is definitely not the fastest either in a straight line or around corners, however, it's in a league of it's own with regards to the way it looks.
The Cayman was the best drivers car if you want to go for a quick blast around twisty country roads, the Supra and Z4 felt quickest in a straight line, and the Alpine was a surpising disappointment (all the reviews made me think it'd be amazing, it just didn't do much for me and the luggage space is a joke, even compared to the F-Type convertible).
The P300 isn't a slow car at all, despite what some V6 and V8 owners say, who probably haven't driven one. It doesn't sound bad, just doesn't have the amazing soundtrack of the V6 or V8.
You really need to test drive these cars for yourself to make your mind up, go with what makes you feel the best and suits what you are going to use it for, plus works for you cost wise. Thanks to Covid I managed to get test drives on my own, without a salesperson sat next to me, that really helped me decide for myself.
I wanted a car that I could use everyday, felt special to drive, looks great, but didn't cost me the earth. The Jag was definitely the best option for me. It was down to either the Cayman or Jag in the end, and thanks to the fact the I could get a much better deal on the Jag, that's what I went for. Money no object, and for daily use, it would be a Cayman 4.0 manual, but at the end of the day, I'm happy with what I have, and with the money I've saved between the two.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post