Problem with F Type Door

Anything F-Type related......
Backofthenet

Post by Backofthenet »

Car went too bodyshop Monday 11th September and still no call from dealership......now 15th September.... sounds ominous or its just sat in the corner waiting for somebody to do something!

philmayfield

Post by philmayfield »

I was first told that they could do mine in their own workshop in an hour. I told them I didn't believe it. Subsequently they said they wanted it at their approved body shop for a week. It was with them for two days and they said they couldn't fix it - but in fact when I got it back it was considerably improved. After sending photos and measurements to Jaguar (all of this work done by me) they organised it to be brought in on 23rd. Sept, a Saturday, where two Jag techs would be on hand to fix it in a morning. I await the results with interest. All this has been going on since I first reported it on 19th. June. When I was in business I wouldn't have dared to piss customers around like this. I don't blame the dealership - they have been in the hands of Jaguar.
Backofthenet

Post by Backofthenet »

OK

so have car back - not sure what HA Fox did but the miss-alignment has improved - now down from 7mm gap between door/sill to just slightly over 3 mm - and not for the full length of door - photo attached

my view is they just adjusted the striker plate and not anything done to sill - not sure what to do now and am awaiting call from jaguar CRC

IMG_0948.JPG

Deleted User 1088

Post by Deleted User 1088 »

Hello

As said before I double checked my car the other day and all is ok

a long shot I know .. but I wonder if the door is the issue not the car ? perhaps a slight manufacturing defect in the door .. just a guess on my part ?

regards
wanner69

Post by wanner69 »

Mine was exactly the same aroind 7mm and now just like yours, still a lip
V6S convertible, Glacier white, Black pack, 20" Tornado's, parking pack, Performance heated seats,
Arne

Post by Arne »

I have read that the "overlap" is partly intentional to prevent stonechips on the edge under/behind the door. From an engineer point of view, that makes sense, as it is an area that is very exposed from stones/grits thrown up by the front wheels.
F-type R Coupe IRR 2015 - rwd V8
philmayfield

Post by philmayfield »

If that’s the case, why does the fit of my o/s door, which is almost perfect, differ from my n/s door which is less than perfect? I think indifferent assembly work and poor quality control is at the root of the problem.
Arne

Post by Arne »

I can't answere that. Mine have a minor gap (equal on both sides) that is not noticeable unless you are aware of it. But I am 100% convinced that it will prevent stonechips in that area.

I also read (in the same facebook thread) that one that had gotten it "fixed", experienced several stonechips on the edge behind the door soon after the fix.

Personally I am very happy to leave mine exactly the way it is.
F-type R Coupe IRR 2015 - rwd V8
philmayfield

Post by philmayfield »

I’m sure you’re right about the minor gap on perfectly adjusted doors. My previous 911 was like that on both sides. Even my less than perfect Elise 111S was symmetrical. My Jaguar rear hatch and bonnet fit perfectly but the n/s door does not. They need to sort their quality control on the F Type line. I think it’s just shoddy workmanship.
wanner69

Post by wanner69 »

philmayfield wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2017 4:41 pm I’m sure you’re right about the minor gap on perfectly adjusted doors. My previous 911 was like that on both sides. Even my less than perfect Elise 111S was symmetrical. My Jaguar rear hatch and bonnet fit perfectly but the n/s door does not. They need to sort their quality control on the F Type line. I think it’s just shoddy workmanship.
I agree Phil, its just poor workmanship, end of
V6S convertible, Glacier white, Black pack, 20" Tornado's, parking pack, Performance heated seats,

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post