Cost of Pads for Ceramics

Anything F-Type related......
V8FTW

Post by V8FTW »

the discs will last x4 pad changes ... so at least 100k miles

they are the daddy, but IMO not worth the cost of either the new option price, or the pad costs

if you can buy a used car with them on, and a recent pad change - well worth it, otherwise, the steels are just as good in the real world
F-TYPE R, Carbon Ceramics + Forged Wheels, ALL the Carbon Fibre - Mirrors, Side Power Vents, Bonnet Vents, Front Splitter & Interior Console

philmayfield

Post by philmayfield »

Just paint the callipers yellow.Emoticons
dezzy

Post by dezzy »

I don't want yellow calipers, or carbon ceramic brakes for that matter, but would like to change my standard silver calipers to black or red. Sorry for the thread hijack but has anyone had their calipers painted? Don't want it to look messy and amateur so just wondered if anyone has experience of doing that? Did you manage to retain the Jaguar logo?

Cheers
D
V6 coupe, Ultimate Black, 19" propellor wheels, suede cloth performance seats, interior black pack, suede cloth headlining, flat bottom steering wheel, heated seats, power tailgate
philmayfield

Post by philmayfield »

I repainted my 911 calipers some years ago and bought new transfers from eBay. I also did my Lotus Elise. You can buy special calliper paint but Hammerite is popular and makes a perfect job. You just have to be careful with the masking. There are companies who will do powder coating but the calipers have to be removed and the brakes bled. It certainly didn't look like an amateur job as I am a perfectionist!
PaulMc

Post by PaulMc »

I don't want yellow calipers, or carbon ceramic brakes for that matter, but would like to change my standard silver calipers to black or red. Sorry for the thread hijack but has anyone had their calipers painted? Don't want it to look messy and amateur so just wondered if anyone has experience of doing that? Did you manage to retain the Jaguar logo?

Cheers
D

Speak with http://pro-calipers.co.uk/ Only trust companies that will do a top job and look at replacing seals etc. Think it's about £360 + VAT for our calipers to be done when I enquired.
dezzy

Post by dezzy »

Thanks guys. I painted the calipers on my Lotus Exige years ago, and did an alright job. Despite being a perfectionist, it just didn't look as good as a powder coating.

Paul, thanks for the link - will check them out. That's a reasonable price IMO.

Cheers,
D
V6 coupe, Ultimate Black, 19" propellor wheels, suede cloth performance seats, interior black pack, suede cloth headlining, flat bottom steering wheel, heated seats, power tailgate
Rayw

Post by Rayw »

As part of my job I sell some of the raw materials used in brake manufacturing. Rest assured any one buying pads for carbon discs are being conned. The process and materials are essentially the same as any high performance pads for metal discs. The costs should only be marginally more than for standard road cars and certainly not £900 quoted earlier in this chain.
I doubt anyone would notice the difference on the road with ceramic brakes (unless they are completely crazy). Also, ceramic discs are more fragile than metal discs and much more likely to chip in every day road conditions............ yet another hefty bill to replace them.
Ammonite grey V6 Coupe. 19" Propellers, Pano roof, winter pack, parking pack, loud button
JLRules

Post by JLRules »

Firstly the cost of components does not always reflect the cost of the finished part. There is a complex assembly process which adds significant cost plus distribution and other overheads. If what you are quoting was true the cost of an i phone would be less than a £100 which it clearly is not.
The Jaguar ceramic pads and discs unlike other offerings are pre bedded in, they will work straight out of the box. This is achieved buy running them up on a jig to high speed and then apply brake force, this uses
up slave discs which adds cost. Other manufactures products, need, before they work at 100% to be stopped from high speed (only legal on a race track) to bed them in. Do you want high performance brakes that work from the start or a cheaper product that does not you pays your money and takes your choice.
Nick

Post by Nick »

Struth, just read this, ouch

£848 +Vat Front

£744 +Vat Rear

Quoted £3000 + Vat each disc :lol:
MY15 Coupe V8R Carbon Ceramic Brakes, 20" Anthracite Wheels Panoramic Roof, Meridian 770
Megatron

Post by Megatron »

NickB787 wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:51 am Struth, just read this, ouch

£848 +Vat Front

£744 +Vat Rear

Quoted £3000 + Vat each disc :lol:
And that's specifically why I didn't buy a car that was otherwise exactly what I wanted. Just too big a bill to stomach

Rhodium Silver V8R AWD

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post