Meridian 380W or 770W ???

Anything F-Type related......
shakin_lee

Post by shakin_lee »

Hi Basher
As you are massive music fan you will find either versions of the meridian audio a big let down. You might want to consider going to a reputable car audio outfit to have the system upgraded.
I had mine done and the sound quality is awesome and far better than the 380W Meridian that was installed by Jaguar.
There are 3 outfits in the south east that are familiar with the Ftype. You can find details in previous discussions on the forum.

basher

Post by basher »

Thanks shakin_lee

I'll check those out.

I'm coming to the conclusion that the 770W is not worth the extra, even though it's meant to provide all these extra features:
  • Audyssey MultEQ Audio Equalisation
  • 7.1 Surround Sound
  • Meridian Trifield Technology

I'll (probably) be buying a used F-Type BDE which comes with 380W as standard.
Rhodium silver F-Type 400 Sport AWD coupe.

PB Brakes big brake kit: drilled & slotted rotors, big yellow calipers. 😁
Senninha

Post by Senninha »

Mine came with the 770 ... when not listening to the exhaust I run it in standard stereo as it creates lots of boom and distortion that I believe are known issues I have yet to make time to have the dealer rectify. Pleased I didn't pay the upgrade price to have it ...
Storm Grey V6 coupe, fun, fast, popping and crackling with smiles all the way ... missed more than I expected!
1998 NSX 3.2 Targa manual
C43 AMG estate, lots of toys, like the F-Type but with 4 seats and far more stealthy but still with pops and crackles!
Arne

Post by Arne »

Mine came with the 770 as well, but I have no problems with mine. It sounds excelent - specially when set to DTS surround with balance in center, bass a few clicks down (from half), treble a few clicks up and the sub a few clicks up as well (a bit depending on the audio source).
I am very happy with the system, but I do know that many has had some different issues. Happy to say that I am not one of those Smile
F-type R Coupe IRR 2015 - rwd V8
Tel

Post by Tel »

The 770W system is fine - It's down to 'operator error' most of the time. Because the cabin (certainly on the vert) is small, you need to be a bit clever with the bass and sub controls.
Balance and fade need to be fine tuned as well.

I run mine like many on DTS mode with the sub just on, and it's pretty damn good, but it takes some setting up with CD's and high bit rate sampled MP3's.

We has the 300 W system in the S, and it was OK, but at the end of the day, I like the sound of the pipes over any kind of music!
2016MY V8R IRR
ITG Maxogen Cold air intake kit
Billet OBD lock
Forged lightweight Blades
Full custom Xpel Ultimate PPF wrap
Piano Black badges
17mm MST Hubcentrics
Smarttop remote
Black exhaust tips
Porterfield RS-4 Carbon Kevlar pads
Mich PS4S's
+ more πŸ’©
basher

Post by basher »

If I go for the 380W then I'm probably going to miss the front speakers that I have in my TTS, because door & rear speakers are not going to give me that immersive experience??

So much to think about.

Godammit, why do F-Types need to be so gorgeous!!

Confused

daytona650

Post by daytona650 »

I've got the 380 and don't really find it lacking. It does have speakers in the front on the dash from memory.

Most of the time it's off anyway as the car sounds too good - don't worry :)
2013 V6S Convertible - Salsa Red, Performance Seats, 20" Wheels, Climate Pack.
basher

Post by basher »

I've got the 380 and don't really find it lacking. It does have speakers in the front on the dash from memory.

Page from F-Type brochure - looks like 3 speakers in door:

Most of the time it's off anyway as the car sounds too good - don't worry :)

That's what I'm hoping for too.
No more iPod or Planet Rock.
Just fat exhaust note.

captainham

Post by captainham »

The 770W system is fine - It's down to 'operator error' most of the time.

I have to disagree with you there, Tel. Yours might be fine, many others are not, mine included. For the price it cost me, it's doubly shocking. Tweaking the settings merely pushes it from crappy to another type of crappy.

If I was speccing my car again to buy new, this is the number 1 change I'd make from last time as I'd leave this option well alone (and put the money towards an aftermarket install if I decided I wanted high quality sound at a later point).

captainham2017-01-20 14:44:37
F-Type V6S IRR Coupe MY2016 AT
shakin_lee

Post by shakin_lee »

Tel, I also have to disagree with you. Captainham is spot on.

I experimented with different genres of music (jazz, classical, pop etc.) as well as audio settings and the sound output was very poor. The speakers in the door and the rear are not Meridian but cheap paper speakers that even with a decent amp will not produce good quality music. Hence the numerous comments on this and the US forum on the poor quality audio.
I love my Ftype but based on what I paid for the car and the upgrade to the 380W system it is an outrage !!!. I had an XE as loaner while my car was being serviced and the base model hifi in it sounded miles better.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post