Options and re sale value

Anything F-Type related......
dezzy

Post by dezzy »

We've had the F-type almost one year now and have no intention of selling it. However, after the recent shot we had in a 400 Sport I thought it would be interesting to see how the numbers work out to move to one. Just out of curiosity.

I was absolutely shocked to be quoted a "clean" trade in of £37,800. The car was £63k new less than a year ago. I totally get that you take a big hit with depreciation in the first year but I really can't believe it has lost £25k, nearly half its value, in one year!

Without options, the car would have been about £53k so I assume these guides base their prices on the base spec.

Which brings me to my question... Do you guys think options have no impact at all on the re sale value of our cars? I didn't spec the options for that reason. We got them because we wanted them. But you'd think they'd have some impact on the value of the car.

Definitely won't be changing anytime soon based on that, and it was just out of curiosity with no real intention to change, but I just can't believe that. Never seen a hit like that in one year on any car I've owned. I thought our F-types would hold their value quite well, being such special cars.
V6 coupe, Ultimate Black, 19" propellor wheels, suede cloth performance seats, interior black pack, suede cloth headlining, flat bottom steering wheel, heated seats, power tailgate

mbes2

Post by mbes2 »

We had the same issue with BMW Mini Clubman Mk3, we paid new 24k a year ago, they valued it at 12k with under 4000 miles on the clock..

As you say, could understand 30% loss of a new car but thats same again 50% in the 1st year, we sold the mini and went to VW for our little run around car.
v6s 380 Salsa Red Convertible, Performance seats , black leather re stitching, 20" Cyclone Gloss Black running 305/30, Meridian 380w, Black bonnet/side vents/mirrors & windscreen surround. Just all round sexy looking :D
Lucky 7

Post by Lucky 7 »

Bear in mind that's a trader though. So he needs to factor in sprucing it up if needed (tyres, pads, scratches removed etc). Then provide a warranty when selling it.. and if he returns £43k for it, that's not even 15% margin.
It's an horrendous pill to swallow for you after just 1 year, but the depreciation curve will be nowhere near as steep a few years down the line
MarcFTR

Post by MarcFTR »

I have found over the last few years of changing cars quite regularly, it pays to shop around on a trade in.

I managed a 7k difference on my R8 that I just traded against the F-type. Even though as stated above everyone has to make their money and put warranties on cars and cover any prep costs, some are just taking the piss.
F-Type R Coupe AWD 2015
dezzy

Post by dezzy »

Yeah, I think with a bit of further conversation the price could be different. There's almost no prep required to the car. Tyres/pads/etc all absolutely fine and the paintwork is perfect.

If I was actually going ahead with it, I'd definitely shop around. Just found it quite a shock. I expect to keep the F-Type at least another year or two, so thank goodness for the depreciation curve slowing down a bit in future years!
V6 coupe, Ultimate Black, 19" propellor wheels, suede cloth performance seats, interior black pack, suede cloth headlining, flat bottom steering wheel, heated seats, power tailgate
Boostfan

Post by Boostfan »

This is why I have just bought a 9 month old V6S, its lost over 20K from its new price. Someone else specced it to the hilt & I have been the beneficiary. Plus I won't suffer as much with the road tax. Pick it up on Friday.

If I knew how to post pictures on here I will?
White MK3 Focus RS.
dezzy

Post by dezzy »

I totally get that but I'm a sucker for new stuff. Just don't like using anything that's belonged to someone else, especially a car, as I know they won't have taken as good care of it as I will (paintwork mainly). So I do just have to accept the hit financially if I want to buy new cars. Good thing I'm planning to keep it a while yet!

I've always broken even or had equity in every new car I've owned on PCP, when trading in at 2 years or more. Even managed to trade in after a year once and break even.
wanner69

Post by wanner69 »

I've had my v6s now for 10 months now. Bought it from Rybrook Huddersfield last year. It was a 12 week old demo with 107 miles on the clock. I had a print out of the cars specification and all the extras, price was £76,000, i also confirmed the price on the car configurator. I paid £58,000 and drove it away. Like many I have bought new and lost £££££ in depreciation but at least this time the dealer has taken a hit
V6S convertible, Glacier white, Black pack, 20" Tornado's, parking pack, Performance heated seats,
Chrispduck

Post by Chrispduck »

We are about to do deal on a V6S AWD Coupe - well specced 2016 car 1100 miles for £55k. We think its not a bad price - but how far could we push on price.

Looking around some dealers are asking ridiculous prices for cars, when compared against the discounts that can be found on CarWow
daytona650

Post by daytona650 »

I did same as wanner and bought a demo v6s cabriolet. 1200 miles - £18k off list and that was 9 months after the F-Type launched just as the Coupe's came out (early 2014).

I've 'lost' 20k over 3 and a half years. But i don't intend selling for many years - no point. I drove the 400 earlier this year and yes it's slightly better perhaps but not £30k better!

Cars depreciate so much now due to PCP as everyone gets a new one on finance sadly. Lowers demand.
2013 V6S Convertible - Salsa Red, Performance Seats, 20" Wheels, Climate Pack.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post