isnt a noisy exhaust .....

Anything F-Type related......
howard

Post by howard »

designed as it is for no other reason than making noises, just a bit chavvy? Like a 6 inch dia exhaust on a Clio?

I can understand exhausts with valves that alter the resonant length and in doing so generate more power at a certain rev range. Or even just to make sure that the car meets the EU regs at the required rev ranges and maximised power afterwards. My 430 did just that and altered the input manifold lengths too. But it seems to me that the F type exhaust is simply designed to make pops and bangs in a "look at me arent I special" sort of way, and nothing to do with performance.

Is that right?

Arne

Post by Arne »

I think you are right, at least when it comes to the pops and crackles. However that has most to do with the engine software management.

The valves opens at aprox 4.000 rpm (if they are not allready opened in Dynamic mode or opened by the "exhaust button") , no matter what mode you are in. That I think has a bit to do with optimising performance.

But Jaguar have put a lot of development into creating a distinct sound, and that has to do with presenting a package that sounds as good as it looks.

The "pops and crackles" are just for show though, and personally I love it. Makes me smile and laugh everytime 😄
F-type R Coupe IRR 2015 - rwd V8
SammyV6S

Post by SammyV6S »

@Howard, You're right - it doesn't add anything to the performance, but it adds an element that is arguably more important. An emotive one.

Is it more important how fast you go, or how you feel when you drive the thing?
I would argue the latter. Which is exactly why they pour effort into their engine/exhaust sounds.

"Aren't I special" is exactly how the F Type is designed to make you feel and I don't think Jag has ever tried to hide that :)
MY2016 Coupe V6S in Italian Racing Red + Black pack, Black 20" Cyclones, black badges all round. VelocityAP valved Exhaust, black tips. Pano Roof, Sports seats, Cold Climate & Parking packs. InControl nav, Blackvue front + Rear dashcams.
ajbh

Post by ajbh »

*waves to the troll* ;) of course it is, its not exactly intended to be a subtle car - thats why i like it :D
Timbo

Post by Timbo »

So you joined in 2015 when i presume you either bought or were thinking of buying a ftype and.....now your complaining anout the noise lol
You do know it was designed to sound like it does dont you, if not buy a mini. IIII
Firesand Coupe R
Vossen HF-3 Satin Bronze
SVR Rear Spoiler
H&R springs
Oem Project 7 grill
VAP tune, upper and lower pulleys,
200 cell cats, induction kit.
Supersprint cat back valved back box
Loud, very loud lol
650-660 bhp
dezzy

Post by dezzy »

We appear to have two trolls on the go at the moment... Don't feed them folks!
V6 coupe, Ultimate Black, 19" propellor wheels, suede cloth performance seats, interior black pack, suede cloth headlining, flat bottom steering wheel, heated seats, power tailgate
Arne

Post by Arne »

dezzy wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2017 6:39 am We appear to have two trolls on the go at the moment... Don't feed them folks!
*Thumbs up* ;)
F-type R Coupe IRR 2015 - rwd V8
The Jagster

Post by The Jagster »

Oh Howard.....For goodness sake. Just buy one and stop trying to resolve and justify every last detail. :roll:

You know you want one really. No one worth knowing will make judgemental comments about your choice of car. ;)

In fact the good thing about the F-Type is that you won't be able to hear anyone anyway with the bloomin' great din coming from the exhaust pipes.

It's the last hurrah before everyone is forced to go electric.......So....Just have some petrolicious fun while it lasts. ;)
2014 V6s convertible Rhodium Silver with Propeller alloys & black interior.
howard

Post by howard »

Hi Jagster :D No I am not sure that I want one really. Having sold the Ferrari, which might well have been a mistake, I dont know what I do want as a replace.
Its down to one of four - an Evora, a Porker, the F type or another Ferrari. I like the F type. Its a good looking car and its British which matters to me. But it doesnt seem like a sports car in the sense that the Lotus and Ferrari were, something that even my non petrolhead wife volunteered. It shasnt got that go cart feel through the bends. And the sort of chat we get on this forum rather backs that up with lots of comment about things like exhaust noise, but nothing much about hillclimbing or even tracking the cars.

What I liked about my Lotus was that it had almost nothing on it that wasnt performance related. OK I would now like something a little less hardcore but I dont need or want things like electric door handles or fascia vents or driving modes. Or electric soft tops - whats wrong with the MX5 sort of soft top mechanism? What I would like Jaguar to make would be a more basic less glitzy F type with 200kg of lard removed. Their equivalent of the Spyder Porker or the Fezza Scuderia. The project 7 doesnt fit that bill.

Meantime, the exhaust pops and bangs are for me a big minus point. But then Porkers are so common and plain, the Evora hasnt got a soft top, and another Ferrari - well that brings big bills.

Anybody got a Micra for sale? :lol:
dezzy

Post by dezzy »

Sounds like you should go for an Evora. Bye bye! We'll miss you!
V6 coupe, Ultimate Black, 19" propellor wheels, suede cloth performance seats, interior black pack, suede cloth headlining, flat bottom steering wheel, heated seats, power tailgate

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post