F-Type V6 new or F-Type V6 S used

Anything F-Type related......
mufasa

Post by mufasa »

Hi everyone !
I'm from Romania and decided to buy the gorgeous F-Type. Here is very rare (actually I've seen only in the Jag showroom, none on streets), so not to many feedback to gather, just from the net, but now I need more specific info before take the topic decision.
My budget is max. 65K Eur which means :
1. A new 2018 (probably February production) V6 with only few extra options (at least is good enough equipped as standard).
2. An used 2016/25K km V6 S better equipped (from an western country Jag representative).
Both automatic gear, RWD and the car will be my DD just from April to October. No track purpose !
Three years warranty and brand new car vs. just 1 year left warranty, 40 HP more and rich in extra options.
The main concerns for my decision are :
- obvious the 40 HP, are so noticeable ?
- the limited slip differential on V6 S is so important ? The are also some other differences between them ?
- the car reliability. How often could appear problems to this model ? Worth to pay attention to 3 years warranty, or not ?
The extra options is not really important.
You guys, having experience already with this car, can you please give me a feedback about this ? Or in other words, what would you do in my situation ?
Thanks a lot for your comments !

Lunar

Post by Lunar »

Hi Mufasa,

Buying new you get to choose colour and options, which I chose to do for my XE.

But I was lucky enough to find an F-Type convertible used with the spec I wanted. Big benefits being that someone else has had the hit with the not inconsiderable depreciation and also, when buying from a Jag dealer used approved scheme I got their 2 year extended warranty, which is definitely something to consider.

Hope to see photos of your car once you’ve decided :)
MY14 "S" badged V6 Convertible in Lunar Grey metallic
Performance seats, Meridian, heated flat bottom wheel with aluminium paddles, heated front screen, cruise, dual zone climate, switchable active exhaust
Senninha

Post by Senninha »

Hi Mufasa,

As you will DD from April to October, you have time to wait for a great example to arrive over the winter months and grab a well specced F-type.

If you choose to look at used, don't ignore the non-S models ... The extra HP only comes into play at the top of the Rev range. I waited a few months but was ready when a great car became available ... 340 Coupe with lots of factory options including special colour and I'm very pleased.

My other comments would be to prepare a short must have list, I.e. Coupe or convertible, leather etc. Then know the colours you DONT want as it makes a used car search much easier. For example, I wanted a dark coupe wit roof and sports seats and max 19" alloys ... Anything else was either a bonus or something I could live without so didn't impact my search.

Hope this helps, have a great winter and look forward to your new DD for April ...

Regards, Paul
Storm Grey V6 coupe, fun, fast, popping and crackling with smiles all the way ... missed more than I expected!
1998 NSX 3.2 Targa manual
C43 AMG estate, lots of toys, like the F-Type but with 4 seats and far more stealthy but still with pops and crackles!
cj10jeeper

Post by cj10jeeper »

I would always buy the used S over new ‘base’, with the age difference you have. As others said let someone else take the initial depreciation. The S will always sell better and hold more value in the future. Dont underestimate the 40hp as it makes a big difference and there are lots of extra bits on an S and typically more extras added by buyer when new.
Take your time and chose a well equipped S
Good luck searching
2014 MY 3.0 V6S Roadster
Subtle enhancements to create the car I wanted from SVR nose cone, 400 series side skirts & customised 'design' rear bumper, to heated SVR steering wheel and more
dezzy

Post by dezzy »

I didn't notice the extra 60hp with the 400 Sport nevermind the extra 40hp between 340 and 380. When buying new I personally don't think the 380 is worth the extra money and instead I chose to spend the difference on options that I actually wanted.

A LSD is good but, like the extra hp, I'm not sure you need it on the road.

So, as you're comparing new 340 to used 380, for me it just comes down to the spec, colour, and that good old depreciation debate. As much as I hate seeing the depreciation hit, I'd rather take the hit to get a new car. I just don't like used things as i will never really know if a previous owner has taken as good care of it as I would. That's just my personal opinion though.

You'll get a variety of opinions on here and they are all valid based on our own experiences and preferences, but just because one of us says you should do something doesn't make it right.

So I think it comes down to the spec of the car. If you can find a used 380 (or 340 for that matter) with a great spec and you're happy it has been well looked after then maybe used is the best choice. But if you really want the car to your own exact spec then new will be best.

I disagree that an S will "always" sell better in the future and would be wary of advice like that without any data or facts to back it up. You could actually argue that a well spec'd 340 will sell better on the used market as it will be cheaper and therefore more affordable for someone looking for their first F-type. If I was looking at the used market I'd definitely take a high spec 340 over a standard spec 380. But that's just my preference.
V6 coupe, Ultimate Black, 19" propellor wheels, suede cloth performance seats, interior black pack, suede cloth headlining, flat bottom steering wheel, heated seats, power tailgate
mufasa

Post by mufasa »

Thanks for answers !

Yes the depreciation as new is very tough, but I don't consider this, because being in a country where dealers don't sell this model too much, plus the low season now (not too many people looks for summer cars now and the dealers need to make fulfill the figures for 2017), I manage to take the new one with 11K discount ! So, this is the first hit depreciation which is taken by dealer. Considering this, I figure out the depreciation for both models and if I'm going to keep around 4 years, the selling price will be rather the same, around 40K, which means 5-6K/year, an acceptable loss for such a car. That's why I don't pay too much attention to this issue, but to the car itself.

Concerning the color, in preference order, should be red (with black extras), black or silver/grey, nothing else, but this means at the end 70% from F-Types, so I can easily find an used one. A Coupe as I said before.
The main issue is those 40 Hp and probably you know how is with this when you like these toys : as many as better, but sometimes this could be just just subjective without reflect so much in practice. And in this situation there are 12K difference as new for a bloody 40 Hp + LSD. Do I really worth to sacrifice the benefits of a new car for this ?
Decisions, decisions ...
mufasa

Post by mufasa »

Regarding the extras, I would say there are 3 categories : must have (for me), not must have but nice to have and useless for me but good for reselling (even if I noticed that the extras options are hit during the time ... 100%).
I choose as must have : IRR color, panoramic roof (makes the car special), black exterior package (no cost), red brakes on 19" (unfortunately I have to take the wheels silver and repaint black for 500 Eur instead to pay more than 2000 Eur as extras), sport steering wheel, red safety belts, sport pedals, front parking sensors and sport exhaust (worth it or the sound is enough without ?). The interior color all black, leather + alcantara sports seats, or leather performance seats with red seams.
There are also nice extras I would like to have, but the budget ...
I don't need heated seats (summer car), LED lights (not too much night drive), and so on.
Brava

Post by Brava »

Hey Mufasa, I am from Bucharest and my car is a V6 S awd, black with black package, red calipers on 20 wheels, with another set of winters on 19 inches, panoramic sunroof, sport seats with extended leather, full options, production may 2015, mileagr 29,000 km, warranty until May 2018, ordered from new at Tiriac Auto

Trying to switch to an F Type R.

8072807E-B189-460A-815D-3CC504D3B2CD.jpeg

2127D92A-F35B-4523-995D-BE402D5B482A.jpeg

2D59A20E-3558-40D2-9816-B96C6E3AF7C8.jpeg

C4C35DC1-1CC5-46FB-8969-37482177C99B.jpeg

Boostfan

Post by Boostfan »

Red with Black extras is the way to go, for me it had to be nearly new V6S with lots of extras :D

IMG_2122.PNG

White MK3 Focus RS.
mufasa

Post by mufasa »

Finally, after 2-3 months of EU market research, and some negotiations, the bird is in the nest :D !
V6 S, 04/2017 (facelift), 9915 km, bought from Germany.

0.jpg

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

13.jpg

14.jpg

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies