side vent removal

Anything F-Type related......
M30LEV

Post by M30LEV »

After reading removal of side vents in thread My 340 storm coupe I am also looking at changing chrome to black or carbon if price is right. I am a bit nervous in removing the bolts that hold on the front wing as they are painted and don't want to damage the paint. I have had a closer look and although might be a bigger job but safer has anyone considered removing or creating a gap behind wheel arch liner as I think there is a void behind and allows access to back of vent and clips. Any thoughts from other members would be appreciated.  
Mark.

mbes2

Post by mbes2 »

Hi Mark,

When I first looked at doing this change I had the same thoughts as you about the paint. In the end I found I had no other option, I removed the top bolts, the ones in the door jam and this allowed easy access to the back of the side vents, which popped out undamaged and fitted the new ones.

I bought a paint touch up kit and everything looks as new again.

Good luck
v6s 380 Salsa Red Convertible, Performance seats , black leather re stitching, 20" Cyclone Gloss Black running 305/30, Meridian 380w, Black bonnet/side vents/mirrors & windscreen surround. Just all round sexy looking :D
M30LEV

Post by M30LEV »

Thanks for the reply looks like the only real option for safe removal.
Senninha

Post by Senninha »

Hi, do remember to take time to mask up the rear edge of the wing panel and the leading edge of the door so that when you are using the spanner through the gap you minimise any chance of paint damage.

Then take your time and joy the new look ...
Last edited by Senninha on Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Storm Grey V6 coupe, fun, fast, popping and crackling with smiles all the way ... missed more than I expected!
1998 NSX 3.2 Targa manual
C43 AMG estate, lots of toys, like the F-Type but with 4 seats and far more stealthy but still with pops and crackles!
cj10jeeper

Post by cj10jeeper »

M30LEV wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:22 pm Thanks for the reply looks like the only real option for safe removal.
I just prised and wriggled with care and force and mine came off. Seems a bit brutal but vent was scrap anyway
Hate moving panels and marking bolts..
2014 MY 3.0 V6S Roadster
Subtle enhancements to create the car I wanted from SVR nose cone, 400 series side skirts & customised 'design' rear bumper, to heated SVR steering wheel and more
PhilB

Post by PhilB »

cj10jeeper wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2017 7:14 am I just prised and wriggled with care and force and mine came off. Seems a bit brutal but vent was scrap anyway
Hate moving panels and marking bolts..
The fitting instructions on Topix for the carbon fibre "fender louvres" seem pretty severe and involve drilling holes so the originals get trashed.
It is marked as "draft" but still on there.

https://topix.jaguar.jlrext.com/topix/c ... oupId=1669
M30LEV

Post by M30LEV »

Thanks all, carbon vents on the way will let you all know how I get on fitting them.
M30LEV

Post by M30LEV »

Hi vents now fitted and must admit the carbon fibre against silver does look good. After reading a number of threads I ended up removing the 3 bolts from the top of the wing 2 visible and one under the black plastic trim which was also removed and the two bolts in the door jam. I removed the bolts by covering them with a fine cloth like the ones used for cleaning glasses and a slightly bigger socket and this minamised the damage to the bolt head. The old chrome vents were removed with no clips broken so can re fit if required. :D

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post