Injectors

Anything F-Type related......
PhilM

Post by PhilM »

Gutted to now be part of the not-so-exclusive club of Jaguar F-Type owners whose engines have experienced Injector failures.

Mine is a 2014 plate 3.0 V6 with 30,000 miles on the clock. It's my pride and joy and still looks pristine - so I was mortified when the engine lost power whilst driving home last week. Thankfully I was almost home, so limped the rest of the way and then called for breakdown recovery. The car was taken to the local Jaguar dealer from whom it was purchased and who have serviced it since new. They called a couple of days later to state that the diagnostics indicated all 3 injectors on the left bank had failed. How is that even possible I thought. One might be a fluke but all 3 is clearly some common failure mode that needs an explanation - so far none forthcoming. They also stated that in all likelihood the catalytic converter would have been damaged as a result and need replacing too.

I've now been informed that the 3 injectors have been replaced and thankfully the cat is ok - however still no explanation for why this has happened. Having now read of so many other instances on this forum of the same thing, it's clear that Jaguar have a fundamental problem - but what chance is there of them addressing this? For us owners it's clear we're driving a ticking time-bomb. These injector failures will continue to happen and as the cars get older Jaguar are even less likely to cover the cost of repair - unless of course still within warranty or covered by expensive extended warranty.

I regarded this car as my pride and joy. Now it feels like a millstone round my neck. I love the look and drive of it - but I just know it's going to cost me a fortune in the future....is it worth it?

Myer

Post by Myer »

How much did it cost to repair?
PhilM

Post by PhilM »

They're quoting me £1100 but I'm not prepared to pay yet. I've taken it up with Jaguar Customer Relations. I was told by dealer that I could 'apply for a contribution towards the cost, but this would be capped at £300'. I've rejected that there should be any cap on their contribution. Given age and low mileage of the car I'm expecting them to cover majority, if not all of the cost. I expect a fight - but I'm up for it, as this will in my view be an ongoing issue. Happy to get car magazines, Which? magazine and legal advice to pursue if necessary.
The Jagster

Post by The Jagster »

Sorry to read about your 'regretful experience'.
I hope things work out for the best.
Keep us update please.
I'm sure everyone on here has a significant interest of what you can uncover about this type of failure and how Jaguar go about making things right.
2014 V6s convertible Rhodium Silver with Propeller alloys & black interior.
Ftypeharv

Post by Ftypeharv »

Sorry to hear your pain, we went through very similar issues where they also were stuck in the head needing a new cylinder head. Shortly after all seemed well, other bank had a failure, You may of seen our post about it?

It's clear this is a weak point on the f type or at least certain batches of them.

I run optimax with a dose of millers eco boost as a matter of cause now, did see somewhere a bulletin to dealers to add injector cleaner at every service due to this so clearly they know about it!!
daytona650

Post by daytona650 »

Hmm. Sale of Goods Act (or whatever it's called now)?

I do wonder if it's certain batches. If it's all 3 on one side then i wonder if it's not the injectors but what they are connected to thats causing the failure? Do they have a controller or pump for each side?

Sorry to hear this. I would certainly fight. It took me 6 months to get £2.5k back from Jaguar for dodgy panels that needed replacing on my 2013 car.

Injectors failing after 30k is not good enough.
2013 V6S Convertible - Salsa Red, Performance Seats, 20" Wheels, Climate Pack.
scoobydoo

Post by scoobydoo »

There are two high pressure fuel pumps, one for each bank. For three injectors to fail simultaneously on one bank only it would certainly seem that the culprit lies further up the fuel supply line. I would expect Jaguar to know precisely what’s causing the issue and I am not an engineer but simply replacing the injectors may not be sufficient. It is almost inconceivable that a full bank of injectors should all fail at precisely the same time with no other attributable cause. Jaguar should be fully investigating why these issues are arising and be looking to implement a remedial programme once they have properly diagnosed the precise reason.
Salsa Red V6S Coupe, Performance Heated Seats, Memory Pack, 20" DC Gyrodynes, Heated Windscreen, Blind Spot Detection & CVS, Meridian Audio, Powered Tailgate, Illuminated Tread Plates and Big Smile!
PhilM

Post by PhilM »

Credit where it's due - I've just been informed by Jaguar Customer Relationships that they will cover the full cost of repair for the failed injectors, which is a financial relief but doesn't get to the root cause of the problem. I now have a car I feel is liable to fail again for the same reason at some point in the future. I have yet to have a conversation about extended warranty on work performed to fix this fault and extending the warranty in the future. Speaking to the garage - they haven't a clue why all three failed or what caused it - and didn't even seem interested in why they should have all failed - which is a disappointing attitude.
Ftypeharv

Post by Ftypeharv »

Interestingly our previous car that suffered the failures had a noisy fuel pump replaced literally just before the same side Injectors failed, other side however was original pump as far as I was aware.

I'd push for all Injectors to be replaced otherwise a repeat breakdown is likely IMO
daytona650

Post by daytona650 »

PhilM wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2017 1:49 pm Credit where it's due - I've just been informed by Jaguar Customer Relationships that they will cover the full cost of repair for the failed injectors, which is a financial relief but doesn't get to the root cause of the problem. I now have a car I feel is liable to fail again for the same reason at some point in the future. I have yet to have a conversation about extended warranty on work performed to fix this fault and extending the warranty in the future. Speaking to the garage - they haven't a clue why all three failed or what caused it - and didn't even seem interested in why they should have all failed - which is a disappointing attitude.
Well that is at least a start and also a quick resolution to the financial aspect.

I would indeed to looking for guarantees going forwards.

Most dealerships don't seem to give a **** to be honest.
2013 V6S Convertible - Salsa Red, Performance Seats, 20" Wheels, Climate Pack.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post