Good review on the F-type V6 vs V8

Anything F-Type related......
bigknd

Post by bigknd »

OB123

Post by OB123 »

agreed - i actually spotted this earlier this earlier today - a good review i thought
V8 AWD Coupe - Indus Silver
PhilB

Post by PhilB »

As a neutral party (apart from my engine) I have to say I didn't see much of a review of the V6?
I didn't find it a V6 versus V8 review apart from comparing the tailpipes.
Out of the 20 odd minutes 17 minutes or so was driving the V8 and all about the handling and the noises etc .
When he did finally get behind the wheel of the V6 for the last couple of minutes, it was trunding along in traffic telling us why the V8 is better.
As I said I'm neutral but if I was looking at comparing the two I don't feel he gave equal time to the V6 in comparing like for like.
Just my humble two cents...............
:D
The Jagster

Post by The Jagster »

I think Chris Harris's view regarding which is the more definitive version is more credible.
His wasn't a comparative review of course, just his opinion that more power gives more fun in an F-Type....but he has the skill to make the most of it whereas most of us don't, so it's almost irrelevant....almost...
Fancy a game of 'Top Trumps' anyone?....Of course the V8 would win.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m46ds7UxxQI&t=532s

He mentions the V6 v's V8 at 7.25 into the blog. Think it sums it up really. If you want more power and torque then you need a bigger engine....simple as...But can you really handle the extra muscle? ...or is it really just bravado at the drag strip?...or bragging rights at the pub? :D
Last edited by The Jagster on Mon Oct 30, 2017 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2014 V6s convertible Rhodium Silver with Propeller alloys & black interior.
OB123

Post by OB123 »

fair comment - from a personal perspective - having had both the 340 and most recently the V8 - both have huge positives and very few negatives in my view. I loved the 340 so much - light on its feet and such a lovely pure V6 howl which was especially nice when the supercharger sound started to mix with it - you could also rev it out much more easily / safely than i can in the V8. I do love the quad exhausts and slightly more aggressive styling on the V8 tho - either way lets face it the F Type is just a wonderful car and i reckon every variant has its own character.
V8 AWD Coupe - Indus Silver
Aitch

Post by Aitch »

I found the first vid rather boring and gave up at 7 mins. in.

For a more sensible and balanced review, you can't beat this one. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6KFA7p7_aQ
steveh

Post by steveh »

Can’t find the link just now but one review I saw reckoned the 2ltr was the best of the lot, probably as it’s the most nimble. As OB123 said, there all wonderful cars in there own way.
Steve.
V6S coupe, Italian Racing Red with Ivory interior.
Deleted User 1088

Post by Deleted User 1088 »

steveh

Post by steveh »

That’s the one, well done!👍
Steve.
V6S coupe, Italian Racing Red with Ivory interior.
davidd

Post by davidd »

I've just watched a bit of the comparison and then the Dan Trent 4cyl one.

For me it is an emotional thing. Coming from TVR V8's and GTR's the V6 (380) just did not give me the rush I need when I pressed on. A great car but the v8 gave me the shove in the back I was looking for.

Then the sound. For 6 years I drove Nissan GTR's which are epic in more or less every way, apart from the sound. When I first took a v6 out I loved the howl, then a v8 and the howly roary thing (I appreciate they might not be real words). It made me appreciate just what a difference the sound can make to the overall driving experience

The 4cyl might turn in a little better but I really don't think it would make much difference to me (a normal driver with no superhuman abilities).

It's all horses for courses, we all want different things from our cars and an ftype is a wonderful car whatever the engine. I do wish the v8 has the twin pipes of the v6 though as they really do look better.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post