Dashcam Installation

Anything F-Type related......
simpleR

Post by simpleR »

Newbie here. Has anyone got front and rear dashcams installed?

I have two nextbase 212 dashcams to install into new car and wondered if anyone had documented where to hide cables and connectivity to usb slots or fuse box with pictures?

Thanks in advance
400 Sport AWD - MY18 - Black, pano roof and thats about it 8-)

daytona650

Post by daytona650 »

Piggy back fuses and the passenger footwell fuse board are your best bet.

Also You can run a 5m (decent quality) USB extension from the centre rear console to the mirror area using the window side trim without taking them off.

If your hardwiring them, finding a negative feed is the hardest bit as a lot of the existing black wires are controlled by computer and voltage can vary. In the end i drilled a small hole in the chassis by the fusebox and bolted a negative to that as the chassis is a constant neg.
2013 V6S Convertible - Salsa Red, Performance Seats, 20" Wheels, Climate Pack.
simpleR

Post by simpleR »

Ok, thanks for info. I'll get mine installed at weekend and take some photos of what goes where etc for everyone else.

Does anyone know what the HDMI port is for?
dezzy

Post by dezzy »

I have an Anker Roav dashcam (front only). It's way more discreet than any other dashcam I could find and really happy with it.

I bought a longer (4m) USB cable from Amazon as the supplied 3m one didn't reach to the 12v socket between the seats. You can squeeze the cable into the trim without removing anything as said but it's a bit easier if you remove the passenger A pillar trim. Pop out the airbag plastic cover and just loosen the allen bolt slightly. The Roav camera cane with a really good tool for fitting the cable into the trim.

I then run it along the trim under the sill cover and there's a nice split in the trim behind the passenger seat. Then into the 12v socket in the cubby hole between the seats.

Only exposed cable is about 2cm at the camera itself before it pops into the headlining round the windscreen.

Given the Roav has a parking sensor that runs off its internal battery, I didn't see the need to hard wire. The 12v socket goes off when you lock the car so no risk of running down the car battery.
V6 coupe, Ultimate Black, 19" propellor wheels, suede cloth performance seats, interior black pack, suede cloth headlining, flat bottom steering wheel, heated seats, power tailgate
m_101

Post by m_101 »

Definitely consider getting a power magic pro or similar ie voltage regulator, if you don't just want the camera to switch off with ignition. Jags seem to be quite sensitive to battery drain. Mine won't start when voltage is <12.5V.
16MY V8R, Ammonite Grey with full red leather interior, carbon roof, 770w stereo, few other bits.
simpleR

Post by simpleR »

Picked the car up Tuesday, not had chance yet to fit the cameras but had a look this evening and doesn't look too tricky. I reckon I'll use the 12V in the cubby hole to power the front camera and a USB port to run the rear one. (That then leaves the 12V at the front and one USB free in the cubby).

The cameras have built in battery and run for a few minutes when the ignition is switched off and have movement/motion sensors and will switch instant on and record if/when required from battery.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post