Keeping car in gear at traffic lights

Anything F-Type related......
Kdes

Post by Kdes »

I’ve always thought automatics could be held in gear on the brake at lights. The ftype handbook says that this should not be done for long periods but but doesn’t say how long. I guess that there is an assumption that the eco mode auto stop will mean this doesn’t happen. So for those that have disabled or turned off the auto start/stop how long do you hold in gear or do you knock it into neutral?

Kev
Storm Grey V6 coupe 2016MY

Aitch

Post by Aitch »

I really should RTFM so haven't read that bit.

I use the parking brake switch at the lights and just gently (or otherwise) accelerate away once green.
DaddyDarren

Post by DaddyDarren »

If lights just turned red, or if I’m at busy junction waiting, I always knock it into neutral &, if required, use foot brake.

First job after pressing Start button is to turn off Eco. Don’t like thought of wear on starter motor & other components. Must lead to premature failure, down the line, against letting engine idle?
White 2014 V6 Coupe
OEM P7 Grill
VAP Lowering Springs
VAP 200 Cell Cats & Downpipes
VAP Pulley & Stage II 453 BHP Remap
Vorsteiner 21” V-FF 103 Alloys
PB Brakes 8/6 Pot Drilled Big Brake Kit
cj10jeeper

Post by cj10jeeper »

There's no easy or right answer
Stopping and holding a car on the brakes risks pad transfer to disks if they are hot, say having braked from motorway speed to a junction. That's never good and causes vibration until cleaned off
Putting autos in neutral causes more wear than leaving them in drive but of course leaving in drive a long time isn't good either and can heat up the box
Neutral is also not good for a quick getaway
Foot on brake pedal isn't nice for following cars at night sat in traffic

The answer to me is all about the circumstances under which you have stopped and for how long. If stopped in traffic and going nowhere I'd perhaps go to neutral, but general leave it on the handbrake and just drive off when ready. No brake lights, no miss gear selection, no delay nor foot on brake damaging pads..
2014 MY 3.0 V6S Roadster
Subtle enhancements to create the car I wanted from SVR nose cone, 400 series side skirts & customised 'design' rear bumper, to heated SVR steering wheel and more
wolfy689

Post by wolfy689 »

I have been driving automatic cars for over 20 years and never had an issue. I do this exactly, the only exception is if in heavy traffic that is not moving I just stick it into park mode.
gsxrm3

Post by gsxrm3 »

wolfy689 wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:14 am I have been driving automatic cars for over 20 years and never had an issue. I do this exactly, the only exception is if in heavy traffic that is not moving I just stick it into park mode.
I do the exact same thing
V6S coupe in white, carbon bladed wheels, performance seats finished in red nappa, sports design pack, flat bottom steering wheel, powered tailgate, reverse camera, meridian upgrade.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post