This will be the most expensive car I've ever purchased...

Anything F-Type related......
WayneG

Post by WayneG »

...so any advice and help, no matter how small would be gratefully appreciated ;)

Hi, I'm Wayne, and I'm hoping to be an F-Type owner soon. I genuinely remember the first time I ever saw an F-Type on the road. It was a 3.0S in Orange metallic and the owner, with his roof down, looked like he was having the time of his life. I fell in love with the F-Type at that point but it was wayyyyyy above my station.

Roll on December 2017 and I find myself looking at one. Today, I test drove one for the first time and somehow, it was even more incredible I imagined. It was a used 3.0S Coupe but there's also the option of a convertible for similar money. The only thing I'm struggling with is the convertible having such a tiny boot, but obviously allowing me more access to that incredible noise, but the coupe being more suitable for a couple of cases on a weekend away.

The main thing I want is the switchable exhaust and heated seats. I don't know if there's too much difference between the 340PS and 380PS model in the real world, but there does seem to be a large difference in price. I wonder if the 340PS would hurt me come resale down the line though?

As I say, any help and advice would be greatly appreciated. The salesman today was actually the best I've come across in years, and I've owned a LOT of cars, offering lots of useful knowledge, but I'd still like to accrue details from owners.

Thanks in advance.

ajbh

Post by ajbh »

My previous cars were a nissan200 and a renault megane, never spent more than 6k before, ummed and ah'd for more than 4 months before I bought and over 2 years later ive never regretted it for a second! So definitely get one :)

i love my convertible, the extra light you get on the journey livens up winter days, the sunshine and wind in your hair on a summer day, the visibility when cruising coast roads and scenic towns, the ability to talk to bikes and other motorists. Space\packing wise Ive done a two week alpine road trip no worries and the jag is my only drive, so does the saturday supermarket run etc. However yes she wont fit suitcases, i have to uber to the airport :p Other than that no issues with space tbh, its tight but just encourages you to carry less crap around! Honestly we'd not go back to a coupe, i thought convertible was a silly choice for the uk but we run roof down year round and love it!

Def heated seats, rear camera, if you arent a car nut i doubt there is much between the engines, mine is an s and its got more than enough, i dont think id notice day to day if 40 horses went missing. If you share the driving the full electric memory seats v handy, make sure its got cruise control - i think i met someone without it!, Cubby hole storage varies too, the best one has a little cupboard between the seats (i have a net, not as good!) Dont worry if bonnet alignment looks off, its really easy to do that when closing it if you dont apply even pressure.

Sure others will have more tips shortly , and hope you join the club soon!

Jess
WayneG

Post by WayneG »

ajbh wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2017 10:22 pmSure others will have more tips shortly , and hope you join the club soon!

Jess
Brilliant, thanks for the great tips. I'm considering the convertible more now you've said you managed a two week trip.
Aitch

Post by Aitch »

Welcome!

Most expensive car ever.....+1 here.

I have the V8 R so can't help much in your decision making between the V6s. Personally, I don't like convertibles. My previous car was a Merc SL55 that I owned for 5 years and in that time the top was down only 2 - 3 times. The F Type coupe is a good car for trips away with a surprising amount of storage space. But you just have to make the most of which way your decision takes you.

I bought a Jaguar approved and can thoroughly recommend paying the premium for the peace of mind that comes with it. The whole buying experience was excellent and the after sales service has been first class. As for resale values, the first owner has taken the biggest hit on depreciation.

Good luck with whichever you choose, you WILL enjoy the experience :)
WayneG

Post by WayneG »

Aitch wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2017 10:43 pmGood luck with whichever you choose, you WILL enjoy the experience :)
Thanks, how was the dealing process with the dealer? It does look like I'll be going down the same route through Jaguar used but we haven't discussed the figures yet as I'm still in the test-drive phase, finding the perfect car.
Aitch

Post by Aitch »

WayneG wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2017 10:47 pm
Aitch wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2017 10:43 pmGood luck with whichever you choose, you WILL enjoy the experience :)
Thanks, how was the dealing process with the dealer? It does look like I'll be going down the same route through Jaguar used but we haven't discussed the figures yet as I'm still in the test-drive phase, finding the perfect car.
If by 'dealing process' you mean haggling, I did get the price down by a few hundred but the car was priced quite reasonably to start with.

You need to decide which of the available options are 'must haves' and which would be desirable 'bonusses' If you look through the higher spec. models on Jaguar approved sites and the list the options for each car, use that to decide your must haves.

I was about to copy/paste the spec list for my car but there's 5 x A4 sheets of it and it still lacks a few things :D
cj10jeeper

Post by cj10jeeper »

Welcome
Each to their own, but swap cases for squashy bags for luggage and benefit from roof down motoring vs a coupe.

The S over base every time for generally better spec and the lsd. It’s a decent step up.
Dont rely just on opinion and road test both types and engine powers and see what you like. They are all great cars..

Get a warranty for peace. Remember that private factory warranties can be transferred to a new owner
2014 MY 3.0 V6S Roadster
Subtle enhancements to create the car I wanted from SVR nose cone, 400 series side skirts & customised 'design' rear bumper, to heated SVR steering wheel and more
Lunar

Post by Lunar »

Hi Wayne,

I can only echo what Jess says.
I have a Lunar grey convertible and it's my daily driver - if it's not raining the roof's down!
We've done 1 long week up the Northumberland coast and planning 2 weeks down to Tuscany in June - buy the right shape bags and you can fit a surprising amount in - and don't forget the hooks and hanging space behind the seats.
If you can afford a weekend toy that's great, but I'm piling the mileage on and just loving every drive still - same as my '65 Mustang that I use for taking stuff to the tip - it's a car, use it! :)
In my mind you simply cannot beat a convertible with active exhaust button, for fun even at low revs!
MY14 "S" badged V6 Convertible in Lunar Grey metallic
Performance seats, Meridian, heated flat bottom wheel with aluminium paddles, heated front screen, cruise, dual zone climate, switchable active exhaust
WayneG

Post by WayneG »

Thanks for the replies. You guys are definitely convincing me on the convertible. I'm going to give one of those a go and have a feeling that will compound this even more!
Panthera

Post by Panthera »

Hi Wayne,

What a wonderful dilemma to have! I'm pretty sure that whatever version you end up with you will love it.

Mine is an IRR V6S coupe so I am undoubtedly biased, however here are a couple of personal opinions. There are lots of posts on the forum about the additional 40 HP of the 'S' and tbh you probably won't notice it in daily driving. However in my view the other features that come with the 'S' as standard are well worth the extra. These do depend on MY but for MY16 include high performance braking with red callipers, adaptive dynamics suspension, the all-important switchable exhaust, leather seats, configurable dynamics, and the LSD with torque vectoring. On the other hand if you can get those that are important to you as options on a standard V6 then why not.

As for coupe v convertible, I do think it depends on what your attitude to open-air motoring is. I have friends who default to 'top down', only putting it up in really inclement weather. I don't quite fit into that category hence the coupe for the slightly greater feeling of interior space v the convertible with top up.

Hope this and the other posts help with your selection.
V6S Coupe IRR MY16 :D

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post