SVR wheels... tyre advice

Anything F-Type related......
Zyp

Post by Zyp »

IRR V8R

mbes2

Post by mbes2 »

DaddyDarren wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:17 pm
mbes2 wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:11 pm I currently run 265/35/20 and 305/30/20 front/back which are SVR sizes on the following alloys
May I ask where the black ‘growler’ wheel centres are from?

TIA
I thought it was part of the black pack.. as my front badge is also black matching
v6s 380 Salsa Red Convertible, Performance seats , black leather re stitching, 20" Cyclone Gloss Black running 305/30, Meridian 380w, Black bonnet/side vents/mirrors & windscreen surround. Just all round sexy looking :D
jp14

Post by jp14 »

Hi all,
I stumbled across this thread while researching whether I could change the wheels and tyres on my F-Type.

I have a V8 R (Rwd), which currently runs on the stock set-up:
- Gyrodyne wheels 20 x 9” front, 20 x 10.5” rear
- P-Zero tyres – 255/35 front, 295/30 rear

I recently acquired a set of SVR wheels and tyres, which have the following measurements:
- Type 1041 rims – 20 x 9” front, 20 x 11.0” rear
- P-Zero tyres – 265/35 front, 305/30 rear

After a bit of back and forth, the Jaguar service centre (who have discussed with Jaguar central) have refused to fit the new wheels. Their reason given is that they will not fit wheels designed for an SVR to another F Type model. I have pushed them to try and understand whether there is any technical reason why fitting the wheels is not possible, but they will not elaborate. I suspect it is more a case of Jaguar wanting to keep the SVR parts exclusive (which is fair enough), rather than any technical reason for not being able to fit the new wheels.

I have also discussed the matter with a number of independent garages. Several have said that given the wheel and tyre sizes are so similar (0.5" wider rear wheels, and 10mm wider front and rear tires), there should be no problem changing the wheels. However, others have said that changing the wheels could have a negative impact on the steering geometry, speedo (rolling radius), tyre pressure monitoring, gearing and potentially other things.

I don't want to take any chances and ruin the car, but suspect changing the wheels and tyres would probably be fine.

I would be really grateful for any experience you may have of this - in particular Wayne G and mbes2 - I think you have done something similar? Any adverse effects?

Thanks a lot
Senninha

Post by Senninha »

There is at least 1 V8 owner running SVR alloys and to the best of my knowledge he has experienced none of the potential issues you raise ....
Storm Grey V6 coupe, fun, fast, popping and crackling with smiles all the way ... missed more than I expected!
1998 NSX 3.2 Targa manual
C43 AMG estate, lots of toys, like the F-Type but with 4 seats and far more stealthy but still with pops and crackles!
jp14

Post by jp14 »

Thanks Senninha. I tried fitting the wheels yesterday and there are no obvious signs of rubbing, so they seem ok from this perspective.

However, as the new rears have a greater offset than the standard gyrodyne wheels, they are more "tucked in" and don't look great.

I understand that spacers may provide a solution so trying to work out what size I'll need.

Thanks,
V8R

Post by V8R »

I have fitted these to MY 2015 R, you WILL need spaces on the rear due to the offset, whilst they may not rub when stationary they will over a bump.. I can confirm after having these on for a year, no issues at all..

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post