Rusting brake discs

Anything F-Type related......
howard

Post by howard »

The rusting will vary a bit from car to car because different sources of steel will have different levels of tramp elements in them which in turn will make for quicker or slower rusting. But when you say that it has never happened to you before you are wrong - its simply that you havent noticed it. All iron / steel alloys rust apart from stainless which as it happens isnt a particulalry good brake disc material.

RRB

Post by RRB »

Ok to clarify, yes off course all bare metal will oxidise/rust/corrode, disc brakes included. I've owned many cars over the years, currently drive a 10 year old Ford Ranger(discs on the front, a 2 year old BMW X1 discs all round, and the 1 yer old F type) The only car that, if you spray water, just water no washing chemicals etc on the discs that will rust before your very eyes is the Jag, The BMW hasn't moved in over a week due to the snow, no rust on the discs, The Ranger has been out everyday, yesterday pulling idiots in tiny cars out of drifts and taking medical staff to their place of work, salt and snow....no rust....wash the jag and within 3 minutes you can see surface oxidation. By the time you dry the car all four disc are completely covered in rust....

I'm a engineer with 35 years experience in the aircraft industry, the lift industry and the offshore industry working on pipe lay vessels...rust/oxidation like this on a premium car aint "normal" !!!
2017 Black 400s convertible :D
KingGazza

Post by KingGazza »

I took posssion of a Jaguar XE R Sport in 2017
At 3yrs it failed its MOT due to serious rusting of the front disc brakes
Sturgess Jaguar would not support my complaint and it cost me about £600 to replace. The car had only completed 12000 miles.
I have just taken delivery of a September 2001 Reg F Type with just 2800 miles on the clock and on drive no it home I noticed the brakes grabbing (no test drive due to Covid)
I inspected the discs on arrival home after some 100 plus miles only to find both front disc brakes badly rusted
The journey home did nothing to scrape this rust off so I do not accept previous comments about moving the car and braking after washing
It is everything dent there is something fundamentally wrong with Jaguar brakes
The car is due back at Sturgess on 16th March when I expect and hope this time that will respond positively to my complaint
scm

Post by scm »

KingGazza wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 3:23 pm I took posssion of a Jaguar XE R Sport in 2017
Sturgess Jaguar would not support my complaint and it cost me about £600 to replace. The car had only completed 12000 miles.
I have just taken delivery of a September 2001 Reg F Type with just 2800 miles on the clock and on drive no it home I noticed the brakes grabbing (no test drive due to Covid)
I inspected the discs on arrival home after some 100 plus miles only to find both front disc brakes badly rusted
The journey home did nothing to scrape this rust off so I do not accept previous comments about moving the car and braking after washing
The car is due back at Sturgess on 16th March when I expect and hope this time that will respond positively to my complaint
I can't say I've ever had any problems with my discs rusting , apart from a light coating when the car has been unused for a while and they've always cleaned up withint ehfirst few brake applications. So I don't share your belief that "there is something fundamentally wrong with Jaguar brakes". I can only assume that the car has been badly neglected - you say ir's a 2001 reg so would predate by some margin the years when F-Types were built.

My F-Type is the 4th Jaguar I've had and none of them has had any issues with brakes.
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
Tel

Post by Tel »

It's interesting how this subject comes up year after year...at about the same time of year!

There is no doubt that the quality of metals, and pretty much all components seen in modern cars seem to become questionable year after year.

Brakes have always been grabby and noisy when not used for a while since 2014 - That's the soft compound OEM pads. Surface rust is normal, even after washing, it's a normal chemical process.

That said, if the car has deep pitting caused by rust that's been left, tells you that the car/brakes haven't been used for some considerable time.
Discolouration even after a few spirited braking sessions up and down a dual carriageway to 'clean' the disks is also nothing to get over excited about.

I've got highly polished, bare ally tank and side panels on my Café racer, they change colour if you breathe on them!
2016MY V8R IRR
ITG Maxogen Cold air intake kit
Billet OBD lock
Forged lightweight Blades
Full custom Xpel Ultimate PPF wrap
Piano Black badges
17mm MST Hubcentrics
Smarttop remote
Black exhaust tips
Porterfield RS-4 Carbon Kevlar pads
Mich PS4S's
+ more 💩
scm

Post by scm »

Tel wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 4:42 pm Brakes have always been grabby and noisy when not used for a while since 2014 - That's the soft compound OEM pads.
I've never noticed my brakes being grabby and noisy when not used for a while - I used my F-Type for the first time since 8th January (MOT and service) and the brakes were fine - a bit of surface rust which quickly disappeared but braking was smooth and quiet, and effective!
Tel

Post by Tel »

scm wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 4:57 pm
Tel wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 4:42 pm Brakes have always been grabby and noisy when not used for a while since 2014 - That's the soft compound OEM pads.
I've never noticed my brakes being grabby and noisy when not used for a while - I used my F-Type for the first time since 8th January (MOT and service) and the brakes were fine - a bit of surface rust which quickly disappeared but braking was smooth and quiet, and effective!
I assume your car was garaged?
2016MY V8R IRR
Billet OBD lock
Piano Black badges
17mm MST Hubcentrics
Smarttop remote
Black exhaust tips
Mich PS4S's
+ more 💩
RPSN

Post by RPSN »

KingGazza wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 3:23 pm I took posssion of a Jaguar XE R Sport in 2017

You’ve mistyped the vehicle year (2001)?

The discs on these cars are massive (380mm on some) and the large surface area is very susceptible to rust corrosion. When I first bought mine the front discs were badly rusted and I thought I’d have to get them changed. On closer inspection I could see there was plenty of meat left on the discs and after a few thousand miles most of it has cleaned up. Braking performance is normal.

My car is parked on the driveway and is exposed to the elements all year round. When the weather has been wet and I haven’t used it for a few days, the brake pads will stick to the discs. After starting the car up and selecting drive, you can feel the brakes holding until they free themselves then all is fine.

If I wash the car but don’t intend taking it out for a nice drive somewhere, I’ll take it for a quick spin to dry the brakes off.

When the discs eventually need to be changed I’ll be replacing them with Delphi Coated Brake Discs https://www.delphiautoparts.com/gbr/en/ ... rake-discs#........ I’ve had these on my BMW for years and they are superb quality.

Have a look to see how much meat is left on your car’s discs.....there should be plenty with only 2800 miles on the clock? I'd say that after you’re able to put some decent mileage on the car, they will eventually clean up themselves through the action of braking etc.

I can understand how you feel after only recently taking delivery of the car (I felt the same) but given time I think you'll find everything will be ok
2016MY V6S Coupe RWD Auto 380PS Supercharged
Rhodium Silver
Panoramic Glass Roof
Sports Seats (heated) in Jet Leather
Seat Memory Pack 2 (14x14 way)
Powered Tailgate (open & close)
Reverse Park Camera with Guidance
Front Parking Aid
scm

Post by scm »

Tel wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 5:01 pm I assume your car was garaged?
You can assume what you like but I don't even have a garage! It's parked on my drive in all weathers. Not that it's been wet during January and February, of course, so no chance of any rust! :lol:
Tel

Post by Tel »

scm wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 5:43 pm
Tel wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 5:01 pm I assume your car was garaged?
You can assume what you like but I don't even have a garage! It's parked on my drive in all weathers. Not that it's been wet during January and February, of course, so no chance of any rust! :lol:
Well consider yourself lucky...
You're certainly in the minority judging on the amount of times it seems rusty disk posts come up.
I won't assume you have Carbon Ceramics? 😉
2016MY V8R IRR
Billet OBD lock
Piano Black badges
17mm MST Hubcentrics
Smarttop remote
Black exhaust tips
Mich PS4S's