2PC LIGHT WEIGHT BRAKE DISC NOW AVAILABLE FOR F-TYPE (50lbs unsprung weight saving)

Anything F-Type related......
Gibbo

Post by Gibbo »

Hi there

OK Wortec have come up with a solution for those of us who have the steel/iron super braking system on our F-Types:
380mm front (18kg / 38-40lbs per disc stock)
376mm rear (15kg / 33lbs per disc stock).

The ceramic braking system offered on the F-Type saves 46lbs of unsprung mass, Wortec gets very close to these savings with their 2PC disc, in fact they exceed them:

380mm front Wortec 2PC Disc (11.5kg / 25lbs)
376mm rear Wortec 2PC Disc (9kg / 20lbs)

As such Wortec saves you around 50lbs in unsprung mass, which is as good as the ceramics, in fact a little better. Reasoning for this is because the ceramics are larger disc than our steels, hence the saving, also Wortec have being doing this for a very long time with their primary focus being weight saving due to their motorsport background, though many don't agree with drilled disc, myself being one of them Wortec have perfected it and their disc offer the following:

- Rotors cast in their own material (FC28-30) which has better thermal profile than OEM rotors / disc and is more corrosion resistant (less rusty look).
- Bells machined from 6061 T6 Aluminium alloy and then hard anodised.
- Fixings are stainless steel.
- Rotors are fully floating (expansion and lateral load)
- Lifespan: similar to the OEM rotors and approved for motorsport use.
- Our rotors are cast then heat treated for 12hrs, then cooled for 12hrs. They are then machined. This stops any stress cracking on use. No oem or Brembo do this!

The rotors would look like this:

Here is an example of weight savings on an identical sized disc Wortec have done for S550 Mustang owners:

ORIGINAL 1PC Disc / Rotor - 15kg

WORTEC 2PC Disc / Rotor - 10.5kg

The improvements you get from 2PC disc is:
- Improved ride quality
- Improved handling
- Better looks
- Improved performance
- Less chance of brake fade

The Cost are for a full set front and rear (4 rotors / disc)
£1850 + VAT (Circa $2500 depending on exchange rates)
UK Shipping: £30
EU Shipping: £60-£100
USA Shipping: £200-£300

Now the only issue is Wortec need to make 5 sets for this to be worthwhile and for them to start production they need 3 confirmed orders with a 50% deposit. All payment / deposit and ordering would be done directly with Wortec you can contact them at:

Email: paul@wortec.co.uk
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Wortec-244558249212398/

Confirmed orders:

1. Gibbo (Myself)

So we only need three confirmed for this project to proceed, of course Wortec can produce an infinite amount of rotors.

Girodisc shall also be making up some front 380mm rotors, but unfortunately cannot supply rears, however Girodisc maybe able to supply the smaller rears, this could be done as a separate group buy if anyone wishes to organise as such. :)

So those who want the weight saving benefits of ceramics at a fraction of the price, well now it is possible. :D

Gibbo

Post by Gibbo »

OK so does not seem much interest from people here, but the disc are been test fitted to my car next week.

Total weight savings are 21kg (46lbs) which matches the savings of ceramics with nowhere near the cost. :)
The following images are of the F-type disc with original disc weights VS new 2PC floating disc weights:

SUNCUT Edge designed rotor:

PLAIN Edge designed rotor (weighs few grams more but traditional style):

Price is around £1850 for a full set, if interested drop Wortec an email at info@wortec.co.uk
Gibbo

Post by Gibbo »

Hi there

So today the sample set and worlds first 2PC full floating iron rotors manufactured by Wortec for Jaguar F-Type V8 were test fitted to my car today, installation went smoothly at Topcat Racing as to be expected as Wortec purchased Jaguar original disc to ensure all dimensions, relevant holes, chamfers, PCD, etc. were all spot on.

Some seriously nice race stuff at Topcats, Marcos LS7 and LS9 converstions, TVR LS7 conversions, more TVR's and lots of Caterhams and other race cars, shall post some pictures up in coming days, been a long day, so pretty knackered.

As they are the sample set, these are not my chosen design as these are the suncut thermal slotted disc which offer maximum weight savings of just over 21kg for the set which matches ceramic weight savings, so very impressive on that front.

As Topcats is on an ex military base, that means lots of private land, so once fitted we were able to proceed to immediate bedding in and testing procedure which was around ten runs to 100mph and braking at 60-70% capacity down to 20mph turning the disc shiny/blue.

We then built speeds upto 120-130mph and did a few braking runs at 70, 80, 90 and then 100% pedal travel down to 10mph until the brakes were smoking. Once we reached this we did a none braking run and then went for an all out 130 and hard braking run to judge braking ability. All I can say is we now have a lot more braking power, better pedal feel and better pedal modulation, so yes the car stops better and inspires more confidence in doing so, something I am very happy about.

So back to the unit, old stuff in the car, so yep nearly 50kg of stock brake disc in the boot and the long gentle drive to my mates detailing unit for a good wash and top up of sealant.

Performance and handling shall have to wait, I was not going to attempt hard cornering with 50kg in the boot, otherwise there may have been a new concept of floating rotors. ;)
What I can comment on is ride quality, even with the boot load, its really noticeable in a positive way, almost like dialling in more rebound but with none of the negatives, the suspension recovers faster over bumps and holes in the road resulting in a better ride and of course also means better contact patch.

Oh and I must admit they do look absolutely awesome too. :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lVR6Ls1dP1I

I originally went with plain edge and just drilled design because my worry was the suncut would make them look smaller but in reality they look much bigger than the stock items simply because they no longer have the black inner circle, or as many call the stock units "dustbin lids" and as such I am considering keeping this set as I do like the design, it looks cool, saves weight and really improves cooling ability. Wortec engineer Paul said to touch the rotors when we pulled up, I thought he was joking, until he put his hand on them for a couple of seconds and said yes they are hot but are not excessively hot which is credit to the suncut, thermal grooves and internal vane design essentially improves cooling ability hugely, though my intention is not track work they are of course very much suited to both road and track work. Gone with EBC Yellows for pads, simply as choice is limited but they are an OK all rounder and from my drive home are better than stock pads in every way, so the combination woks superbly well. Also worth noting is the EBC pads match the original pads identical, also come with backing plates and I can report they are totally silent/squeak free so far. The only additional noise is under harder braking and its not really additional noise just different sound due to the grooved design and only noticeable when braking hard, so far no embarrassing choo choo like train stopping at low speeds which is good news.

The weakness the car I felt had, is now gone, the brakes now have more power, more fade resistant and inspire a lot more confidence.

Big thank you to Wortec, Topcats Racing for making this happen, the service was second to none, even more impressive no money has passed hands yet as Wortec want me to put around 500-1000 miles on the disc, then if I am happy they will buy me a new set of EBC yellows and fit my chosen design rotors with new pads at their cost or I can keep these ones. Fantastic service and so far a great quality product! :)

The car should now be around 1650kg so heading in the right direction and with 600HP on tap, she absolutely flies, now lets see if all this weight reduction helps shed a tenth or two off the quarter mile, I doubt it will, particular as track temperatures this weekend shall be another 10c hotter, but one can be hopeful of an 11.2s run. :D
Gasman2

Post by Gasman2 »

Def on my shopping list when funds permit as they really give the car a performance look as opposed to plain rotors
bigknd

Post by bigknd »

Fantastic write-up Andy and they do look the dogs bits!
May be on my shopping list once the OEM's need replacing ;)
Gibbo

Post by Gibbo »

Gasman2 wrote: Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:39 am Def on my shopping list when funds permit as they really give the car a performance look as opposed to plain rotors
Drove car in anger today, these brakes just feel so much more powerful, obviously the EBC yellows will be helping with that too, but the improvement in ride quality and handling due to the lighter unsprung mass is certainly an improvement too.

Problem for me is I found the stock iron disc just looked like dustbin lids, Jaguar just went with rotors from TRW because they were cheap, they certainly don't perform amazingly and weigh a huge amount.
Gibbo

Post by Gibbo »

Some more pictures from yesterday:

Brakes are performing well, better stopping power, car seems lighter on its feet handling and turn in wise too which is nice. :)
Gibbo

Post by Gibbo »

Wortec 2PC rotors fitted, better photos taken and with a proper camera. :)

Love the look and the braking improvement well worth it! :)
Aitch

Post by Aitch »

What made you go for EBC Yellow?
Gibbo

Post by Gibbo »

Aitch wrote: Fri Apr 20, 2018 6:25 am What made you go for EBC Yellow?
I did not want stock and the only other brand I came across was Porterfield which was more a low dust compound rather than performance. Having had OK results with EBC yellow in past I gave them a go and am happy to say they are a nice upgrade over stock.

I normally go with Ferodo DS2500, Pagid RS or Carbotech XP pads, but they don't make pads for our F Types and for a road car they'd probably be a touch extreme anyway, especially the Pagid RS.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post