opinions on extended warranty

Anything F-Type related......
Kdes

Post by Kdes »

(Question mainly for mike)

You said your car was 2 Years old. Why wasn’t it covered by the original 3 yr warranty.?

My 2 year old came with the 2 year jag extended warranty but when the paperwork came through it shows as 3+1 so I have 12 months original full warranty and only 12 months with the (possibly) limited one.

Kev
Storm Grey V6 coupe 2016MY

mikemsm999

Post by mikemsm999 »

Sorry Kev, slip of the finger, the car was just 3 years old when purchased so it came with the extended 2 year warranty.
F-Type V6 S Convertible, Polaris White, Extended Leather Pack, Performance Interior, Storm Alloy Wheels, Rusty Rear Cross-member!
Scorchio595

Post by Scorchio595 »

mikemsm999 wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 6:35 pm
Scorchio595 wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:47 am From experience I wish I had taken some form of extended warranty, just after 3 years old the back exhaust box needed replacing, I was lucky the dealer did it out of good will for free but it would have cost £1400. Previously, just before warranty ran out the central air vent mechanism failed (common fault), that was under warranty but would have been cira £500. I am now out of warranty and have an issue with the roof which is being looked at by the dealer (see my current thread), the cost in labour alone looks like around £700 to £1000 and then I have parts when they find out what's actually wrong. I would take a premium warranty which covers everything (£700) for a year as if it goes wrong it will be a big bill, remember anything to do with DSG gear boxes is a massive repair bill. I had a BMW DSG go wrong under warranty and the cost was £6800 !!

The extended warranty does not cover the exhaust system as I found out 2 weeks after picking up the car!

Noticed a slight squeak after bring the car back to sunny Wales, the squeak didn't seem to happen all the time (it was you could couldn't hear it when motoring) and appeared more noticeable on start up so took it to my local dealer Strastone Cardiff (car did not come from them but another franchised dealer). Quick inspection confirmed what the internet already had - squeak was from the exhaust valves. Whole new exhaust box required, the valves cannot be replaced by themselves.

The car was only 2 years old and had just been purchased from a main dealer with the 2 year warranty, so as annoying as it was that they had sold me the car with such an obvious fault (that they must of known about), at least I had the Jaguar warranty to fall back on.... Sorry Sir, the warranty does not cover the exhaust system at all!

The long and short of it is my local dealer Strastone (who I know very well) got on the phone to the dealer I purchased the car from and had a few 'words' with them before I even had the chance to get home and ring myself. The supping dealer ended up paying my local dealer Strastone to supply and fit a new back box circa £1500.00 to make the issue go away.

So while the extended warranty will no doubt be of benefit in most cases, there will be many issues that it will not cover that we think it will. My own extended warranty is ending in June so i will have a long hard think about what to do. Be great to hear other peoples experiences with warranty claims.

I have not named the dealer that I purchased the car from due to an ongoing issue I have with them. Two years on from collecting the car and they still owe me money for things that were not done or not done properly before I collected the car. They admitted it when I collected the car and in a number of emails and agreed to pay for them to be done locally to me. The amount in question is only about £400 (same amount as what they had charged me) but it is the principle of it. Not chasing anymore just going to county court them. Once I have finalised any legal action I will named the dealer. Needless to say the amount of problems I had with them when I collected the car was unbelievable!

The good news is the car itself is NOW superb and void of the minor niggles, just the way it should of been when I collected it.
Wow, I feel very lucky that my local dealer replaced my exhaust system under warranty as a goodwill gesture, my warranty had expired by 1 month but I made the point that the tyres had lasted longer than the exhaust which they couldn't argue with.
Glad you are now happy with your motor.
Caldera Red MY19 V8 AWD R
mikemsm999

Post by mikemsm999 »

Scorchio595 wrote: Mon Mar 26, 2018 4:01 pm
mikemsm999 wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 6:35 pm
Scorchio595 wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:47 am From experience I wish I had taken some form of extended warranty, just after 3 years old the back exhaust box needed replacing, I was lucky the dealer did it out of good will for free but it would have cost £1400. Previously, just before warranty ran out the central air vent mechanism failed (common fault), that was under warranty but would have been cira £500. I am now out of warranty and have an issue with the roof which is being looked at by the dealer (see my current thread), the cost in labour alone looks like around £700 to £1000 and then I have parts when they find out what's actually wrong. I would take a premium warranty which covers everything (£700) for a year as if it goes wrong it will be a big bill, remember anything to do with DSG gear boxes is a massive repair bill. I had a BMW DSG go wrong under warranty and the cost was £6800 !!

The extended warranty does not cover the exhaust system as I found out 2 weeks after picking up the car!

Noticed a slight squeak after bring the car back to sunny Wales, the squeak didn't seem to happen all the time (it was you could couldn't hear it when motoring) and appeared more noticeable on start up so took it to my local dealer Strastone Cardiff (car did not come from them but another franchised dealer). Quick inspection confirmed what the internet already had - squeak was from the exhaust valves. Whole new exhaust box required, the valves cannot be replaced by themselves.

The car was only 2 years old and had just been purchased from a main dealer with the 2 year warranty, so as annoying as it was that they had sold me the car with such an obvious fault (that they must of known about), at least I had the Jaguar warranty to fall back on.... Sorry Sir, the warranty does not cover the exhaust system at all!

The long and short of it is my local dealer Strastone (who I know very well) got on the phone to the dealer I purchased the car from and had a few 'words' with them before I even had the chance to get home and ring myself. The supping dealer ended up paying my local dealer Strastone to supply and fit a new back box circa £1500.00 to make the issue go away.

So while the extended warranty will no doubt be of benefit in most cases, there will be many issues that it will not cover that we think it will. My own extended warranty is ending in June so i will have a long hard think about what to do. Be great to hear other peoples experiences with warranty claims.

I have not named the dealer that I purchased the car from due to an ongoing issue I have with them. Two years on from collecting the car and they still owe me money for things that were not done or not done properly before I collected the car. They admitted it when I collected the car and in a number of emails and agreed to pay for them to be done locally to me. The amount in question is only about £400 (same amount as what they had charged me) but it is the principle of it. Not chasing anymore just going to county court them. Once I have finalised any legal action I will named the dealer. Needless to say the amount of problems I had with them when I collected the car was unbelievable!

The good news is the car itself is NOW superb and void of the minor niggles, just the way it should of been when I collected it.
Wow, I feel very lucky that my local dealer replaced my exhaust system under warranty as a goodwill gesture, my warranty had expired by 1 month but I made the point that the tyres had lasted longer than the exhaust which they couldn't argue with.
Glad you are now happy with your motor.

Thanks Scorchio595, the car is now great (excluding the crap incorrect Pirelli tyres - thats another story thats come to light this week), just a shame certain main dealers cant get their act together as they ruin the reputation of a great brand.

As I'm a Jag fanatic with a number of classics and coming from a Jag family, the experience has not put me off the brand, however if I was new to Jaguars I certainly would not be buying anther one simply due to the dealer and the customer service aspect.

Could be worse... could be back to the old British Leyland days... then we really would have something to moan about! ll
F-Type V6 S Convertible, Polaris White, Extended Leather Pack, Performance Interior, Storm Alloy Wheels, Rusty Rear Cross-member!
Dazza67

Post by Dazza67 »

Hi all
Still haven't decided which route to take and I have two weeks to decide.
Reading the posts, one minute I'm definitely extending it, the next I'm saving the money. My current thinking is to save the £700 as my mileage is so low, but it only takes one or two faults before I'm out of pocket if I use main dealers to sort them.
Think I'll have a look for any good independents in East Anglia as you would expect them to be a bit cheaper if anything did go wrong.
Ebony Black V6S convertible
y700suf

Post by y700suf »

Bringing to life this thread just to see whether opinions have changed.

I am about to come to the end of term on the 3 years' manufacturers' warranty.

Given the appalling service/competence of my local JLR dealer, I can't help but think I would be better off abandoning manufacturer warranty/service and going down the independent route.

Any current opinions from those who have "gone it alone" post-3 years on whether this is a viable route?

My main concern is the somewhat volatile nature of these cars which could result in a hefty one-off cost.
2015 Jaguar F-Type V6S
2007 Audi RS4

1979 Ferrari 308 GTB
2009 AM Vantage V8
2008 Audi R8 V8
2007 Audi TT
1985 BMW 325
Arne

Post by Arne »

I am out of warranty on my MY15 R.

However my car insurance will cover any major brakedowns on engine, transmission and el. components (engine management system, cpu-units etc).

So I don't worry too much about any hefty one-off cost. Minor things must come out of my own pocket, but that will most probabely be less than the cost of an extended warranty.

The cost of the extended insurance coverage is rather minor, as I have driven "damage free" for many years.
F-type R Coupe IRR 2015 - rwd V8
scm

Post by scm »

I had an RAC check done on a couple of XK8s I was looking at and was very pleased with the outcome - one was a definite no-no and the other was fine for three enjoyable years before I traded it up for an XKR.

Regarding extended warranties, I've never been a great believer in insurance since I've rarely had an opportunity to claim - as others have said, bank the premium for an occasional rainy day. Most faults seem to occur shortly after the car's seen a main dealer!
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
Dazza67

Post by Dazza67 »

I bottled it in the end and went for the extended warranty, 2 months later had a £930 bill paid for under warranty for a cooling fan pack after it overheated coming back from Le Mans. Whether it would have cost that from an indie is debatable but I am now effectively £200 in credit with 6 months warranty left to run so consider myself a winner for this year. I will be in the same dilemma next year though!!
Ebony Black V6S convertible
cj10jeeper

Post by cj10jeeper »

y700suf wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 12:25 pm Bringing to life this thread just to see whether opinions have changed.

I am about to come to the end of term on the 3 years' manufacturers' warranty.

Given the appalling service/competence of my local JLR dealer, I can't help but think I would be better off abandoning manufacturer warranty/service and going down the independent route.

Any current opinions from those who have "gone it alone" post-3 years on whether this is a viable route?

My main concern is the somewhat volatile nature of these cars which could result in a hefty one-off cost.
Don't confuse that a 'manufacturer warranty' that you refer to. For extended outside of the original manufacturer period it is also an independent company, not JLR.I n reality the dealer just call the insurance company backing it to request approval and pay claims. It's in effect no different to what you call independent. I know as I have one with its nice glossary dealer handbook

Just read the T&C's of both very closelyto see what's excluded
2014 MY 3.0 V6S Roadster
Subtle enhancements to create the car I wanted from SVR nose cone, 400 series side skirts & customised 'design' rear bumper, to heated SVR steering wheel and more

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post