opinions on extended warranty

Anything F-Type related......
Dazza67

Post by Dazza67 »

Hi everyone

What's the general opinion on extended warranties? I had extended JLR warranty as part of the purchase deal and this ends in a months time. Renewal price with JLR is £700 for the year, if I don't take it then I cannot take it out again at a later date.
It's a 3L S with £15k mileage and coming up to 5 years old.
My rationale is that I will only do @3000 miles per year so surely I would be unlucky to accrue £700 of repairs per year, however being on the forum for a while now, there are a few horror stories around.

Risk it or not.....?

Cheers
Darrell
Ebony Black V6S convertible

daytona650

Post by daytona650 »

Thats been my route - mine is 5 years old now and I didnt get an extended warranty. I'd rather save £700 a year in a bank acct just in case frankly.
2013 V6S Convertible - Salsa Red, Performance Seats, 20" Wheels, Climate Pack.
cj10jeeper

Post by cj10jeeper »

It's all about risk/cost.
My warranty runs out late this year and I won't renew it, pretty much as per Daytona. Save in case something major happens
5 year old F type by then and will have all I can done on warranty and so much is not even covered on extended warranty
Only real risk is if the engine, box or rear axle have a total failure and I'll risk that
2014 MY 3.0 V6S Roadster
Subtle enhancements to create the car I wanted from SVR nose cone, 400 series side skirts & customised 'design' rear bumper, to heated SVR steering wheel and more
Scorchio595

Post by Scorchio595 »

From experience I wish I had taken some form of extended warranty, just after 3 years old the back exhaust box needed replacing, I was lucky the dealer did it out of good will for free but it would have cost £1400. Previously, just before warranty ran out the central air vent mechanism failed (common fault), that was under warranty but would have been cira £500. I am now out of warranty and have an issue with the roof which is being looked at by the dealer (see my current thread), the cost in labour alone looks like around £700 to £1000 and then I have parts when they find out what's actually wrong. I would take a premium warranty which covers everything (£700) for a year as if it goes wrong it will be a big bill, remember anything to do with DSG gear boxes is a massive repair bill. I had a BMW DSG go wrong under warranty and the cost was £6800 !!
Caldera Red MY19 V8 AWD R
Backfire

Post by Backfire »

Just to say, the F Type doesn't have a DSG gearbox (a ZF Auto).
2017MY F Type Coupe, Caldera Red, 19 Centrifuges, Pan Roof, Leather memory heated seats, Parking pack. Also 1957 XK150 FHC.
mikemsm999

Post by mikemsm999 »

Scorchio595 wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:47 am From experience I wish I had taken some form of extended warranty, just after 3 years old the back exhaust box needed replacing, I was lucky the dealer did it out of good will for free but it would have cost £1400. Previously, just before warranty ran out the central air vent mechanism failed (common fault), that was under warranty but would have been cira £500. I am now out of warranty and have an issue with the roof which is being looked at by the dealer (see my current thread), the cost in labour alone looks like around £700 to £1000 and then I have parts when they find out what's actually wrong. I would take a premium warranty which covers everything (£700) for a year as if it goes wrong it will be a big bill, remember anything to do with DSG gear boxes is a massive repair bill. I had a BMW DSG go wrong under warranty and the cost was £6800 !!

The extended warranty does not cover the exhaust system as I found out 2 weeks after picking up the car!

Noticed a slight squeak after bring the car back to sunny Wales, the squeak didn't seem to happen all the time (it was you could couldn't hear it when motoring) and appeared more noticeable on start up so took it to my local dealer Strastone Cardiff (car did not come from them but another franchised dealer). Quick inspection confirmed what the internet already had - squeak was from the exhaust valves. Whole new exhaust box required, the valves cannot be replaced by themselves.

The car was only 2 years old and had just been purchased from a main dealer with the 2 year warranty, so as annoying as it was that they had sold me the car with such an obvious fault (that they must of known about), at least I had the Jaguar warranty to fall back on.... Sorry Sir, the warranty does not cover the exhaust system at all!

The long and short of it is my local dealer Strastone (who I know very well) got on the phone to the dealer I purchased the car from and had a few 'words' with them before I even had the chance to get home and ring myself. The supping dealer ended up paying my local dealer Strastone to supply and fit a new back box circa £1500.00 to make the issue go away.

So while the extended warranty will no doubt be of benefit in most cases, there will be many issues that it will not cover that we think it will. My own extended warranty is ending in June so i will have a long hard think about what to do. Be great to hear other peoples experiences with warranty claims.

I have not named the dealer that I purchased the car from due to an ongoing issue I have with them. Two years on from collecting the car and they still owe me money for things that were not done or not done properly before I collected the car. They admitted it when I collected the car and in a number of emails and agreed to pay for them to be done locally to me. The amount in question is only about £400 (same amount as what they had charged me) but it is the principle of it. Not chasing anymore just going to county court them. Once I have finalised any legal action I will named the dealer. Needless to say the amount of problems I had with them when I collected the car was unbelievable!

The good news is the car itself is NOW superb and void of the minor niggles, just the way it should of been when I collected it.
F-Type V6 S Convertible, Polaris White, Extended Leather Pack, Performance Interior, Storm Alloy Wheels, Rusty Rear Cross-member!
gkeevash

Post by gkeevash »

I had extended warranty on my XKR, for the four years post warranty, cost me about £100 per month, in the last year it needed recovery and water pump, supercharger pump. dampers, passenger door motor, suspension bushes and a few other bits including MOT cover, over £2.5k so for me it sort of paid for itself like any insurance it’s mitigation and paying monthly makes it easier to mange the cost.

I will more than likely purchase an extended warranty on my current post the manufacturers warranty.
Best Regards
Gazza
2018MY, F-Type 400 Sport Convertible RWD, Black
2010 XKR 5.0 Convertible
2006 XK 4.2
2001 Nissan Skyline R33 Twin Turbo
1996 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo
Dazza67

Post by Dazza67 »

Cheers guys, food for thought.
If it was a daily drive I would take the extended warranty without hesitation, but as a weekend low mileage toy I'm not so sure.
I have a month to decide so will see how my thought process is in a couple of weeks.
Ebony Black V6S convertible
captainham

Post by captainham »

Does anyone know what the deal is with retaining InControl (e.g., tracking the car via the app, remote locking, etc) after the 3 years?

Is that a separate subscription service?

After having my little Fiesta ST Chavrocket stolen recently, I'd be keen to retain my poor man's tracker when the warranty expires later this year...
F-Type V6S IRR Coupe MY2016 AT
captainham

Post by captainham »

I'm also in two minds about whether to do one of the AA/RAC 'full vehicle inspections' before the warranty expires, to see if they pick up on any leaks etc that I might be able to get sorted before the warranty disappears...any thoughts?
F-Type V6S IRR Coupe MY2016 AT

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post