Pedestrian airbag deployed!?!

Anything F-Type related......
cj10jeeper

Post by cj10jeeper »

That’s not good

I think you have to make a call if you were really doing just 15 mph and if so then take it up with Jaguar as I cannot imagine that’s in spec.
I’ve been over countless speed bumps but am fearful of spoiler damage so do go slow, but am sure I’ve taken plenty at more than 15mph
2014 MY 3.0 V6S Roadster
Subtle enhancements to create the car I wanted from SVR nose cone, 400 series side skirts & customised 'design' rear bumper, to heated SVR steering wheel and more

Fez

Post by Fez »

Ref to my last post system works between 12 and 50mph and details on page 256 of handbook. The event recorder will tell jaguar how fast you where going.
Black AWD 400, sport
MY 18.5
Pan Roof
Heated front screen
Front parking sensors
Full spare
durbin

Post by durbin »

Definitely not a speed issue. I'll chat to them on Monday
simpleR

Post by simpleR »

Fez wrote: Sat Mar 10, 2018 6:16 pm Ref to my last post system works between 12 and 50mph and details on page 256 of handbook. The event recorder will tell jaguar how fast you where going.
12mph and 31mph

There are 3 sensors in the bumper so I guess by grounding the splitter its knocked or vibrated the bumper and as you were going faster than 12mph its took that as a decision to deploy the system.

Awkward one.

TBH I didnt even know it has such a system and I go over about 10+ speed bumps of various types everyday although always at speeds of less than 10mph much to the annoyance of people behind me (ive been overtaken a few times over bumps).

All the best for tomorrow and sorting it out with Jag
400 Sport AWD - MY18 - Black, pano roof and thats about it 8-)
Senninha

Post by Senninha »

Post the recent weather and the ever growing number of larger/deeper surface imperfections, I thought this thread was going to suggest this as the cause of the deployment .... a sensinbly negotiated speed should not set this system off.

As you’ve already stated speed is not an issue, then the post from Fez should be your ‘insurance policy’ against you having to foot the bill, and should indeed place this firmly in Jaguars area of responsibility.

As you await Monday morning, a few thoughts ... are you the original owner / does the car have full main dealer history / has it had any frontal remediation, I.e paint or bodywork, cosmetic or otherwise / are you running OEM recommended tyres / do you have any non OEM options relating to chassis or drivetrain ... if you answering positively then should present any wriggle room, but if there is any negative area, even a simple front bumper respray for cosmetic reasons, done be surprised if this gives all the excuse needed to pass the bill your way as the car has been ‘tamepered’ with and as result may not be as (mis)aligned as it lef the factory .... and if you’re all good on these points then maybe it gives you some ammunition with which to hold a strong conversation with the dealer

Best of luck ... Paul
Storm Grey V6 coupe, fun, fast, popping and crackling with smiles all the way ... missed more than I expected!
1998 NSX 3.2 Targa manual
C43 AMG estate, lots of toys, like the F-Type but with 4 seats and far more stealthy but still with pops and crackles!
TopCat

Post by TopCat »

This is puzzling as I would expect the sensors to be able to detect the direction of impact and only react to a front - horizontal - impact and not from a speed bump being from below.

If not covered by Jaguar is it something that would be covered by insurance as a result of an impact or accident.

Good luck with your talks with Jaguar.
2017 F Type V6 coupe, storm grey, panoramic roof, 19" wheels
philmayfield

Post by philmayfield »

It’s a just shame you didn’t flip a pedestrian over the roof and execute a safe landing just to prove it works properly. :D
Myer

Post by Myer »

I am pleases to say that my F-Type R Coupe being a USA specification does not have pedestrian airbags, as they are not approved for fitment. one of the reasons is false activation could cause the driver to loose control!
durbin

Post by durbin »

Minor update. Just got off the phone to Marshall Jaguar, Oxford.
They have a 2 day lead time, so the chances are they won't even look at the car until at least tomorrow.
I stated that as far as I was concerned this was a false deployment and should be covered by the warranty.
So, should have another update in a day or two.
Fingers crossed

My driveway looks so sad and empty :(
Nick

Post by Nick »

Hope it all works out well, got me thinking about the speed bumps outside my place now. Wonder if you can disarm it?
MY15 Coupe V8R Carbon Ceramic Brakes, 20" Anthracite Wheels Panoramic Roof, Meridian 770