Pedestrian airbag deployed!?!

Anything F-Type related......
durbin

Post by durbin »

Nick wrote: Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:19 am Hope it all works out well, got me thinking about the speed bumps outside my place now. Wonder if you can disarm it?
You can with a kit, but I wouldn't want to be caught in a genuine accident and be found out!

Myer

Post by Myer »

durbin wrote: Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:21 am
Nick wrote: Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:19 am Hope it all works out well, got me thinking about the speed bumps outside my place now. Wonder if you can disarm it?
You can with a kit, but I wouldn't want to be caught in a genuine accident and be found out!
Purely out of interest as my car does not have pedestrian airbags, what "Kit"? Who would make or market such an item and more to the point who would buy it :!:
durbin

Post by durbin »

I'm not sure on the details, I'm only going off what I've skimmed of other forums.

I did read this though:

"To disable a PPS you should plug a resistor instead of a two elements -
1. Two pyro elements, which opens a hood lock
2. Two pyro elements, which pops a hood up.
I don't remember the exact resistance of them, but it's not a big problem to find it.
All other attempts of disabling a system will trigger a code and a message on a DIC."

The PPS seems like a really clever solution, but there's loads of posts about this going off on different cars so I'm not sure it's fit for purpose.

If you have a ticking time-bomb in your car that can go off randomly and cost you around £2500 I can see why you might want to disabled it.
Deleted User 1088

Post by Deleted User 1088 »

durbin

Post by durbin »

Update:

Garage has told me that I need two new actuators but not a new bonnet.
Estimated bill £800-900.
These are not under warranty.
They confirmed that I had not hit anything and that the car was in perfect condition.

The garage put me on to the Jag customer relations team.
They were a little bit shady but the woman I spoke to did say they could potentially help.

They are now raising a ticket their end, phoning the Jag dealer to ensure they did the right level of 'technical analysis' on the car and then I'll be updated.

Sound like they know it's an issue, and will foot the bill (or at least in part) if the diagnostics match up with my story.

I'm not hopeful, and I'm tempted to throw money at it to make it go away as I just want my car back, but for now I'll stick to my guns as it was definitely not my fault
simpleR

Post by simpleR »

From everything you have posted, the last thing I would do is throw money at it. I hope Jaguar agree and repair at no cost in a timely matter.

If it was me, the key thing is making sure the cause is identified so it does not happen again. Another reason why I wouldn't pay out of my own money. It is fine installing new actuators but what about the sensors that told them to trigger?
400 Sport AWD - MY18 - Black, pano roof and thats about it 8-)
Nick

Post by Nick »

simpleR wrote: Mon Mar 12, 2018 4:56 pm From everything you have posted, the last thing I would do is throw money at it. I hope Jaguar agree and repair at no cost in a timely matter.

If it was me, the key thing is making sure the cause is identified so it does not happen again. Another reason why I wouldn't pay out of my own money. It is fine installing new actuators but what about the sensors that told them to trigger?
Totally agree
MY15 Coupe V8R Carbon Ceramic Brakes, 20" Anthracite Wheels Panoramic Roof, Meridian 770
Deleted User 1088

Post by Deleted User 1088 »

Hello

Circuit diagram attached ... the units deployed for a reason

Either a genuine request or a fault, the control system should be thoroughly checked as there are a few sensors and a control module
501.20.pdf
(685.05 KiB) Downloaded 237 times
Myer

Post by Myer »

Any luck with getting Jaguar to pick up the bill?
durbin

Post by durbin »

Not yet. The story gets worse though.

Not got time now, but I'll post an update later this week. Hopefully it will be resolved by then!