Pedestrian airbag deployed!?!

Anything F-Type related......
Derivative

Post by Derivative »

You'd have to inform your insurance company of the 'modification' and get it accepted (unlikely, I would guess). Otherwise, they'd almost certainly use it against you if they could reduce their liabilities in a serious accident/payout.
MY2018 R-Dynamic 340 coupe

Deleted User 1088

Post by Deleted User 1088 »

Derivative wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:15 pm You'd have to inform your insurance company of the 'modification' and get it accepted (unlikely, I would guess). Otherwise, they'd almost certainly use it against you if they could reduce their liabilities in a serious accident/payout.
Exactly ...
NBC fdff

Post by NBC fdff »

m_101 wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 11:02 pm Well then, I just noticed this thread.
This exact same issue happened to me 10 days ago, the Saturday before Easter, only I was on a flat road with no significant incline and no potholes. I didn't think to phone Jag assistance but mine is still in the dealer. I drove it straight there and did not get offered a courtesy car at all. The car is still under warranty until July.
I have to say this has been the single worst experience of customer service I've ever had. The dealer (Taggarts in Hillington) have in my opinion been absolutely horrific. Rude and unhelpful and completely unsympathetic despite them making multiple errors.
10 days later they have still not been able to figure out what caused the airbags to deploy. Both deployed at the same time while I was driving at about 15mph. Pretty much the same story as the OP. Unfortunately since it was within 30 seconds of driving off, my dash camera didn't actually pick up the incident. There is apparently no indication on any of the sensors or the EDR why this happened.
I have forced the matter and Jaguar CRC are now sending out their "International Engineering Team" to find out what went wrong, since the dealers have been so far unable to find any damage to the vehicle and nothing on the crash sensors to indicate why the airbags deployed. I'm refusing to pay a penny until they have been out and looked at the vehicle and informed me of why this could be. Goodness only knows when they are going to be able to come up to Glasgow to have a look at the car, as the dealer haven't even successfully raised the ticket with CRC stating they have done all the correct checks on the vehicle yet!
I am really really annoyed since I've been asking for a courtesy car the entire time and the dealers have not been able to source one - Jag CRC have asked them to submit a report and a Customer Assistance Fleet request which today was done (after they've had the car for 10 days plus) but was done incorrectly and so has to be re-done tomorrow.
Honestly Taggarts in Hillington have been absolutely awful. A slew of problems and errors and being totally unhelpful, despite me requiring the vehicle for work purposes and informing them I needed it to go to see my dying grandmother (who has subsequently died). I have vowed never to visit a branch of Taggarts ever again if at all possible. When I went in the first thing they said was an accusatory "Well you must have hit a pothole"...
I'm waiting for Jaguar to get me a courtesy car which I'll keep until this is looked at and sorted. If there are multiple vehicles affected (there are, according to the internet) and they cannot find the cause on my car and there is an ongoing safety concern I'm going to be having a chat with them.
This follows chasing the dealership for 3 months for a couple of smaller warranty issues. My Sat Nav module has failed so the car doesn't know where it is, there are scratches on the side windows and I only managed to get them to look at it after informing Jag CRC about the number of the Technical Service Bulletin, and the paint finish on the rear brake callipers is wearing badly which doesn't affect operation but is unsightly.
Taggarts didn't even reply to CRC about these issues for ages and there appears to be almost nothing CRC can actually do about it.
My complaints have been escalated as high as they can go within CRC - when I spoke to the CRC manager about all of this he informed me that this was the case and there wasn't anyone else he could raise this with.
Honestly you buy a car worth £103k with all the options, and you get utterly crap customer service, and the manufacturer cannot remedy this.
If there are multiple vehicles affected, do we need to push for a recall? How would we as a community go about this?
Hi m_101 et al
I bought mine fron Taggarts too so I'm a bit freaked tbh! Is it reasonable for one of you that has been affected by this issue to raise a Freedom of Information request with either the dealer or Jaguar to see how many times this has actually happened? If it's common surely that gives credence to all if it occurs again?
2018 2.0 R Dynamic in Carpathian Grey
Exterior black pack, Pano roof, 20" Gyrodynes and other bits and bobs ....
dezzy

Post by dezzy »

Don't want to hijack this thread and turn it into a Taggarts review, but... Although they have made mistakes on our car, they have always had fantastic customer service. I find Sean in the service department to be excellent and also had a great experience with Jason Blane, their head of business, who runs the whole place. Would definitely recommend a chat with him if possible.
V6 coupe, Ultimate Black, 19" propellor wheels, suede cloth performance seats, interior black pack, suede cloth headlining, flat bottom steering wheel, heated seats, power tailgate
m_101

Post by m_101 »

OK so the plot thickens!
Jaguar called me yesterday to tell me that I would probably need to call my insurance as this repair wasn't covered under warranty and there are several parts that they are recommended to replace. The bonnet catches and latches need replacement, the airbag ECU, all the sensors, and the airbags themselves.
I asked them precisely what I was meant to tell my insurance. "Oh hi yes I didn't hit anything or anyone and was driving along a pretty much flat road with no potholes and my car exploded. Any chance you could pay up please?" Add this to my 14 years no claims (the entire time I've been driving I've never made a claim) and it being a one vehicle incident so I would be "at fault" and I refused. They asked me to contact the dealership for this information.
The dealership informed me that the data they got off the vehicle showed that all the sensors are working and the front left one showed an 82g impact about 4 miles before it rolled into the workshop - that's apparently on the ECU and Jaguar have all this data. There is absolutely no visible damage to my car, save for a tiny nick on the other side front wheel.
I found this quite interesting and immediately called Jaguar back. I informed the CRC person that an 82g impact is incompatible with human life - and asked him to google it. (I'm a doctor with an interest in motorsport - even transient loads of 50g are fatal 50% of the time and 80g is deemed not survivable). Called him back half an hour later and he conceded that the maximum any human has been known to survive transiently is about 46g so half of what the sensor recorded.
I asked the CRC guy how exactly he thought I could survive almost double that with not a scratch on me or the vehicle. He said he would need to go back to the engineers with this info.
Have to be honest at this time I felt quite smug telling him that 80g is the equivalent of driving the car nose first off an 8 storey building and I can't conceivably see how there would be absolutely no damage to the car if the sensors are working correctly.
Still waiting on a response but if this happens to anyone else, ask what exactly was recorded by the sensors - I'm pretty sure mine was a faulty sensor which then triggered the system. Jaguar believe this is "working within parameters" yeah, right.
I'm lucky that they told me exactly what was on the ECU as now I can easily demonstrate that this must be a fault.

@Durbin I'll keep posting on here regarding how they get on. I've informed them I'm not asking my insurance to pay out for this under any circumstances. The car is still in Taggarts workshop. Luckily since dealing with the service manager and CRC executive management team, they have been a bit better customer service wise.
16MY V8R, Ammonite Grey with full red leather interior, carbon roof, 770w stereo, few other bits.
john-handy

Post by john-handy »

m_101 wrote: Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:01 am OK so the plot thickens!
Jaguar called me yesterday to tell me that I would probably need to call my insurance as this repair wasn't covered under warranty and there are several parts that they are recommended to replace. The bonnet catches and latches need replacement, the airbag ECU, all the sensors, and the airbags themselves.
I asked them precisely what I was meant to tell my insurance. "Oh hi yes I didn't hit anything or anyone and was driving along a pretty much flat road with no potholes and my car exploded. Any chance you could pay up please?" Add this to my 14 years no claims (the entire time I've been driving I've never made a claim) and it being a one vehicle incident so I would be "at fault" and I refused. They asked me to contact the dealership for this information.
The dealership informed me that the data they got off the vehicle showed that all the sensors are working and the front left one showed an 82g impact about 4 miles before it rolled into the workshop - that's apparently on the ECU and Jaguar have all this data. There is absolutely no visible damage to my car, save for a tiny nick on the other side front wheel.
I found this quite interesting and immediately called Jaguar back. I informed the CRC person that an 82g impact is incompatible with human life - and asked him to google it. (I'm a doctor with an interest in motorsport - even transient loads of 50g are fatal 50% of the time and 80g is deemed not survivable). Called him back half an hour later and he conceded that the maximum any human has been known to survive transiently is about 46g so half of what the sensor recorded.
I asked the CRC guy how exactly he thought I could survive almost double that with not a scratch on me or the vehicle. He said he would need to go back to the engineers with this info.
Have to be honest at this time I felt quite smug telling him that 80g is the equivalent of driving the car nose first off an 8 storey building and I can't conceivably see how there would be absolutely no damage to the car if the sensors are working correctly.
Still waiting on a response but if this happens to anyone else, ask what exactly was recorded by the sensors - I'm pretty sure mine was a faulty sensor which then triggered the system. Jaguar believe this is "working within parameters" yeah, right.
I'm lucky that they told me exactly what was on the ECU as now I can easily demonstrate that this must be a fault.

@Durbin I'll keep posting on here regarding how they get on. I've informed them I'm not asking my insurance to pay out for this under any circumstances. The car is still in Taggarts workshop. Luckily since dealing with the service manager and CRC executive management team, they have been a bit better customer service wise.
It dose astound me that there are idiots out there that technicaly should be dead by Darwin standards.

Additional concern for our beloved Jaguar mark is the departure from a British backbone of honesty and integrity.

Yes sir the car recorded 80g just before it exploded and there is not a mark on it......We think its your fault!

TBH even outside of warranty my solicitor would be having words with them. The part does not require service or replacement it should not fail causing the car to detonate explosives in the engine compartment.

I am sure that we are all very grateful to the lovely bureaucrats that thought up the additional pedestrian impact protection regulations without regard for how this would affect cars or drivers.

These are probably the same idiots that thought a 20mph speed limit would be safer in cities....turns out that at 20mph pedestrians "feel safer" and therefore take additional chances and accident rates go up!....the unmentioned city now does not have the money to turn the speed limit back so they are happy to leave pedestrian in greater danger because they are idiots.

I do wonder what the world is coming to these days.

J
2014 Polaris White/Red F-Type V6S Convertible

"it's an x-rated, hardcore monster, for the terminally unhinged..." JC
m_101

Post by m_101 »

So in the end after much to and fro with Jaguar CRC and the dealer, they have agreed to do all the repairs for £253.
They haven't admitted fault but are guaranteeing me in writing and via email that this system should not deploy again for the life of the vehicle unless I actually hit something, and that the vehicle is completely working within parameters. Effectively if the airbags deploy again then I'm definitely covered (and then some).
They said the system was working within parameters so they only needed to replace the airbags, the ECU got flashed and is fine, and they needed to replace the bonnet catches (at their expense) as the boot wasn't shutting. I'm paying for half of the cost of the airbags but nothing else.
I'm not happy with the result but I think I've taken this as far as I could without involving lawyers / motoring ombudsman so I'm going to leave it at that for now.
16MY V8R, Ammonite Grey with full red leather interior, carbon roof, 770w stereo, few other bits.
Deleted User 1088

Post by Deleted User 1088 »

Hello

Don't blame you .. I would be the same as it is exhausting work battling with a car manufacturer

also they make approx more then 5000 f type cars per year so hopefully a small statistical defect :)
Malbec

Post by Malbec »

“These are probably the same idiots that thought a 20mph speed limit would be safer in cities....turns out that at 20mph pedestrians "feel safer" and therefore take additional chances and accident rates go up!....the unmentioned city now does not have the money to turn the speed limit back so they are happy to leave pedestrian in greater danger because they are idiots.”

The unmentioned city is Bath. The council hate cars. They are about to knock down a large multi storey car park and turn it into offices.
17MY V6S AWD Coupé Ammonite grey.
UAD wireless CarPlay.
Dan_Veluwe

Post by Dan_Veluwe »

I see 4 bolts. Then means you can remove it.. .. why not take it out and leave it out?
Range Rover P400e autobiography Loire Blue (2019) :P
Mazda__MX30_RED___2021_ BEV
FT jag _P300 _Ultra Bleu, 2018 ___________SOLD :(
D5 lr__SD4__Corris Grey, Blck roof, 2018_SOLD :roll:
FP Jag – 25t _Loire Blue ,2020 ____________SOLD :|