AWD or RWD

Anything F-Type related......
Ian J

Post by Ian J »

Zyp wrote: Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:34 am With the correct tyres on, you don't need an awd...
I pinched the above quote from a different thread which is a subject that I would like to know more about but I didn't want to take that thread off topic.

I have a few months to wait before I dip my toes into the F Type waters and had assumed that I needed an AWD as it will be my daily driver and my drive is on a slope and we live in a banjo with no through traffic so life can be a struggle when it snows.

A few years ago I had a BMW 645i that I couldn't get off the drive when it snowed and since then have only had four wheel drive cars with a BMW X6 followed by my current BMW 430D Xdrive which isn't wonderful in the poor weather even though it's four wheel drive.

I have never had a car with winter tyres and wonder how much difference they make in snow and other poor driving conditions. I assume from Zyp's post that he is saying that a RWD car fitted with winter tyres performs at least as well as AWD.

If that is the case then a second hand RWD car is a considerable saving over the AWD model

daytona650

Post by daytona650 »

If it's AWD or RWD for winter, then i think winter tyres are more effective. Winter tyres make a huge difference.

If it's a power concern, then RWD on a V6 and AWD on a V8.

I have a V6s and if i used it in the winter i'd have a separate set of wheels with winters on them.
2013 V6S Convertible - Salsa Red, Performance Seats, 20" Wheels, Climate Pack.
Arne

Post by Arne »

In true winter conditions a rwd with good winter tires is better than an awd with summer tires. However with the same tires a good awd will have a lot better traction in slippery conditions than a rwd.

That said a rwd F-type with an e-diff and good winter tires does work surpricingly well in the snow. So it is a bit up to how often you need to drive in real winter conditions.

Personally (living in Norway) I bought my rwd F-type as a summer car, so I have not bought any winter tires for it. It hibernates in the garage all winter, and every spring it's almost like getting a new car once more :) I am rather experienced in driving in winter conditions though, so it is not the slippery conditions that concernes me the most, but all the salt they put on the road. That is the main reason for not using my F-type in the winter, and also why I then chose a rwd R instead of an awd - which I would have chosen had I planned to use it all year.

Our everyday car is a VW Arteon, which has awd (and winter tires during winter), which has been the case of all the "everyday" cars that we have had as long as I can remember. And that is due to the fact that the winters here can be both hard and rather long, and awd with good winter tires will save you from lots of trouble....

Edit: here is a video of a sporty car I used to have - in the snow with awd and good winter tires - showing how well it works in snow:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qu4PHzL0ayc
F-type R Coupe IRR 2015 - rwd V8
Gibbo

Post by Gibbo »

As others have said if a V6 go with RWD, it has a beautiful balance and easy to drive on the limit in track DSC mode even in the wet. Though the V6S will spin up the tyres in wet conditions, so if its a daily driver maybe consider the AWD on the V6S but overall I think you shall be fine.

On a V8 the AWD is definitely more necessary as the RWD models will toast the tyres on command very easily and in the wet they can be a real handful.

AWD models also seem to have better residuals.
rnige

Post by rnige »

This interests me, I am pretty set on AWD all newer R's come like this also.But there is 5-10k savings on a RWD.I would of thought the AWD would be faster and more able to drive quickly with out worrying about any fish tails or unexpected sideways action out of corners.For me I do feel the AWD is the more desirable car.
dezzy

Post by dezzy »

I've only driven my own 340 V6 RWD and an SVR V8 AWD, so not a huge amount of experience with the AWD. However, in my opinion it comes down to your usage.

Daily driver all year round then AWD will clearly help. But for me it's a weekend sports car toy and I prefer RWD for that. As others have said I think the V6 feels perfectly balanced with RWD.
V6 coupe, Ultimate Black, 19" propellor wheels, suede cloth performance seats, interior black pack, suede cloth headlining, flat bottom steering wheel, heated seats, power tailgate
Zyp

Post by Zyp »

Blimey chaps - there's absolutely nothing wrong with the V8 rwd on Michelins.
I've been out in awful weather recently and the car has been fine whilst pushing it to sensible levels, considering the conditions.

That said, mines only occasional use, and we have two 4wd vehicles to use.

What I'm really trying to say, is that if an awd is either unavailable or out of budget, don't think the rwd is unusable.

I had a 911 turbo and found the awd totally dulled the feeling.
IRR V8R
Ian J

Post by Ian J »

It's a V6 that I would be looking at and your responses have made me think hard about saving the extra £10,000 that an AWD would cost and investing in winter tyres for the bad weather.

Many thanks all for your advice
Jaguandy

Post by Jaguandy »

Good thinking. Remember that steering and brakes are approx the same with AWD and RWD in poor conditions, so the winter tyres will be better all round.
F-Type R Coupe Firenze (Italian Racing Red) AWD MY16