f type handling.

Anything F-Type related......
howard

Post by howard »

my car running on pirelli tyres and at the standard pressures simply doesnt feel "planted" in the same way that the fezza did or the lotus before that. It feels "bouncy" as if the damping wasnt that good. This could simply be me being used to mid engined cars but I doubt it.

any suggestions / recommendations?

wanner69

Post by wanner69 »

Same here bud, i'm not confident pushing it compared to the cayman I had.
V6S convertible, Glacier white, Black pack, 20" Tornado's, parking pack, Performance heated seats,
simpleR

Post by simpleR »

I've got the 20" P-Zero and when they are cold it feels very skittish/unpredictable and tends to "wonder" around on off-camber surfaces. After about 5 or so miles and once warm it feels quite planted especially when switching to dynamic mode and the suspension firms up. I reckon on some nice warm and dry tarmac it will feel even better but i cant compare to a ferrari as that costs considerable more and ive only ever driven one on a track day!!!!
400 Sport AWD - MY18 - Black
Zyp

Post by Zyp »

I know I keep banging on about this, but - tyres.

Having gone from Pirelli to Michelin in the last few weeks, it has transformed the car.
IRR V8R
ajbh

Post by ajbh »

Dynamic mode on? Standard is pretty forgiving ride, dynamic noticeably less bouncy. But then i prefer a more lively car so perhaps not looking for the same thing. Mine is on pilot sports also which may be making a difference. Certainly i can carry far more speed than i have nerve for round the alpine passes ;) Its not unpredictable at all wanner but it is a big hefty car - take it on a handling day and you soon learn to read when its about to give up, unlike the xfr which seems to delight in changing ends if you take the tc off :) Jess
Gibbo

Post by Gibbo »

I ditched new Pzero PZ4 tyres on my SVR for Michelin PS4S tyres and the car was transformed.

However do remember that an F-Type is not going to compete with the handling dynamics of a Cayman or mid engine Ferrari. That is just a character of front engine vs mid engine and remember the F Type is considerably heavier than a Cayman too.

Also the F Type has a lot of playful built into its chassis I feel, whereas a Cayman will flatter you and entice you to drive it the limit in confidence the F Type takes bigger balls and bravery pills to do so. However once you get used to the car you will find it is rather well balanced and playful.

Outright cornering speed a Cayman will always have the edge over the RWD driven F-Type, the AWD F-Types definetely feel a lot more planted.

I took out a V6S RWD and it was great fun, very playful and easy to handle but on high speed sweepers it felt on edge and on the higher speed stuff you more wary of pushing hard as collecting a slide into triple digits is not as easier, this does not mean the car is not as capable but it does require more bravery and skill to extract the performance from a RWD F-Type. In comparison my SVR feels a lot more composed in high speed stuff, but your still really aware of the speed and that short wheel base.

The AWD makes a difference for sure, in the wet I've discovered if I use dynamic mode the car is quite loose on the rear which can be a little off putting, as it is 90% rear driven. I find putting the car in wet mode in the SVR really transforms the levels of confidence in the car as it locks the power split as close to 50/50 as possible which really gives more confidence.

Still is this all a bad thing? I think not as it makes the car feel alive at low speeds, a trait that so many modern cars now miss which results in you driving them at more than double the speed limits to get any sense of enjoyment. The F-Type has 90% of their outright abilities but you only need to drive it at 50% to enjoy it which on the public road is very important.

If your after a track weapon, the F Type is not the car to buy!
howard

Post by howard »

Gibbo wrote: Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:02 am

Still is this all a bad thing? I think not as it makes the car feel alive at low speeds, a trait that so many modern cars now miss which results in you driving them at more than double the speed limits to get any sense of enjoyment. The F-Type has 90% of their outright abilities but you only need to drive it at 50% to enjoy it which on the public road is very important.
I can relate to that. The fezza was a problem because it felt so planted that you ended up finding you were going significantly faster than you thought or was wise.

I dont particularly want to go at warp speed. Instead I enjoy B roads with lots of bends and decent visibility to allow high cornering speeds. And in this sort of environment the F feels big, heavy and bouncy. Doesnt have the big go cart feel of previous cars.

Anyway it will do the continental tours we have planned for this year and next after which I'll flog it and go back to a fezza. Problem is the fezzas within my budget arent cars you would want to risk on a long tour. Too old.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post