V6S Brake Disc Issues

Anything F-Type related......
y700suf

Post by y700suf »

Thanks to all those who provided perspectives on the topic.

Irrespective of the cause, I would be keen to know how those with repaired/replaced discs managed to do so under warranty.

My brake disc issue has got escalated to JLR who requested tests and photographs of the discs from the dealership.

Their assessment was:

I have received a response from our technical team who confirm that the brake discs on your vehicle have only got light pitting and negligible corrosion. However, one disc seems to be lipped and it looks like it is below minimum thickness which would be the reason to replace them, not the corrosion.

Notwithstanding this assessment for a car still under manufacturer warranty, both the dealer and JLR are claiming that brake discs are consumable items and therefore not covered by the warranty.

Any thoughts on how to get the message through that brake discs don't wear out after 2 years?!
2015 Jaguar F-Type V6S
2007 Audi RS4

1979 Ferrari 308 GTB
2009 AM Vantage V8
2008 Audi R8 V8
2007 Audi TT
1985 BMW 325

Tel

Post by Tel »

y700suf wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:35 pm
Their assessment was:

However, one disc seems to be lipped and it looks like it is below minimum thickness which would be the reason to replace them, not the
\
y700suf wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:35 pm Any thoughts on how to get the message through that brake discs don't wear out after 2 years?!
From a technical standpoint, the answer to your question is in their reply;
The car is not designed to brake using only one wheel. Braking 'across' the car is balanced 50/50 (Ignoring Toque vectoring by Braking - assuming you aren't tracking the car, or if you have it on your model?)
For one rotor to be worn more than the other on the same axle identifies an imbalance in the braking system, and a potential fault that needs to be investigated further.

HTH?
2016MY V8R IRR
ITG Maxogen Cold air intake kit
Billet OBD lock
Forged lightweight Blades
Full custom Xpel Ultimate PPF wrap
Piano Black badges
17mm MST Hubcentrics
Smarttop remote
Black exhaust tips
Porterfield RS-4 Carbon Kevlar pads
Mich PS4S's
+ more 💩
gasgas

Post by gasgas »

what thickness are the disc, I will look up minimum thickness and post later
Lunar

Post by Lunar »

As to £900 for front discs that's laughable!

Even their own fixed price servicing is showing a slightly less ridiculous £575 for the discs, pads and sensor (although slightly misleading by quoting plural sensors when there's only 1 at each axle)...

https://www.jaguar.co.uk/owners/servici ... icing.html

I too had a slight noise on one (left?) lock that was cured with new discs.
MY14 "S" badged V6 Convertible in Lunar Grey metallic
Performance seats, Meridian, heated flat bottom wheel with aluminium paddles, heated front screen, cruise, dual zone climate, switchable active exhaust
y700suf

Post by y700suf »

Thanks all for the further, helpful replies.

The level of proactivity is severely lacking but not surprising given repairs under warranty only eat further into low margins per vehicle.

I'm not sure what the standard or minimum thickness is of brake discs but the point is surely that any erosion at this age/mileage cannot be normal.
2015 Jaguar F-Type V6S
2007 Audi RS4

1979 Ferrari 308 GTB
2009 AM Vantage V8
2008 Audi R8 V8
2007 Audi TT
1985 BMW 325

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post