Boot / trunk dimensions convertible

Anything F-Type related......
Aviator

Post by Aviator »

After searching the web, where I came up with nothing, I drove to the dealership yesterday. Unfortunately they just sold and delivered all their convertibles.

Could anybody help with a few measurements of the trunk, please? The most important for me is the height from the floor (excluding the gap in the middle) to the lid. What would help greatly, would be the measurements of a big suitcase somebody is able to fit in a MY18.5/19 trunk.
Since I'm about to buy a new aluminum suitcase, I don't have much room for error.

Thank you in advance and have a good weekend.

Oli

cj10jeeper

Post by cj10jeeper »

You cannot get a proper suitcase into the boot. Even my standard aircraft locker case only just fits
You'll be restricted to soft bags or purpose made luggage for anything of useable size

Quick measurement shows between 8" and 10" in old money from bottom to where I estimate the lid closes down too.
If you post suitcase size max external dimension I'll take a look
2014 MY 3.0 V6S Roadster
Subtle enhancements to create the car I wanted from SVR nose cone, 400 series side skirts & customised 'design' rear bumper, to heated SVR steering wheel and more
Lunar

Post by Lunar »

Hi Oli,

I think you might struggle as the lid is concave too so the outer edges of you case will be the problem area.
If it’s for photo gear you might have to consider a foam divider bag instead - but I guess if it’s going into an aircraft hold you don’t have that choice.

The boot shape is so uneven you’ll need to take care when buying - maybe a cardboard mock-up first would be a good idea.

In the recent snow I got the plastic spade in fine, but the soft broom was in the passenger seat.

I’ll go get you some dimensions shortly.

Simon
Last edited by Lunar on Sat Apr 07, 2018 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MY14 "S" badged V6 Convertible in Lunar Grey metallic
Performance seats, Meridian, heated flat bottom wheel with aluminium paddles, heated front screen, cruise, dual zone climate, switchable active exhaust
Lunar

Post by Lunar »

Ok so your main problem is the aperture you pass the case into the boot through.
That is 34” wide x 14”
The depth of boot you have on that footprint is only 8” by the spoiler and 10” by the back window.

You may need a re-think.
Performance seats, Meridian, heated flat bottom wheel with aluminium paddles, heated front screen, cruise, dual zone climate, switchable active exhaust
Aviator

Post by Aviator »

Simon and cj10jeeper,

thanks a lot. That is great help. You're right. It has to go in an aircraft hold quite a lot. Even those rather sturdy aluminum Rimowas become damaged and bent all the time. I might even have to find me one or two used ones, since the older two wheel models are slimmer than the ones sporting four wheels. Those are wider to add stability.

The aperture is not to bad though. I'll get some suitcase dimensions quickly and might make a cardboard dummy as well later. Just need to find a proper car to try in my area.

Oli
Aviator

Post by Aviator »

I could get an old Rimowa polycarbonat suitcase, which is quite durable but not as rigid as the aluminum ones, with the following dimensions:

27.6 x 18.9 x 8.3 in.

Going by your information I would guess, it does not fit.

Thank you again.

Oli
Lunar

Post by Lunar »

Case on passenger seat and passenger in the trunk? 😉
Aviator

Post by Aviator »

Lunar wrote: Sat Apr 07, 2018 1:32 pm Case on passenger seat and passenger in the trunk? 😉
Honestly, that is my fall back. All the times I use the car to go to the airport, I'm on my own.
But, if I go for a suitcase that fits on the seat with the hood up, it would have to be rather "boxy" and would never fit in the trunk.
And then there is the safety issue....

Does anybody own a Jaguar suitcase set and would measure the largest one, please?
cj10jeeper

Post by cj10jeeper »

To take this beyond the boot dimensions issue I frequently have a 95L Samsonite in the passenger footwell and on the front of the seat. It's sits inclined nose down at around 45 degrees. I have an old sheet that protects should it touch/rub anything, but in reality it's a rounded ABS case with no sharp bits. No safety issues as it doesn't move an inch and is an easy option with no passenger
2014 MY 3.0 V6S Roadster
Subtle enhancements to create the car I wanted from SVR nose cone, 400 series side skirts & customised 'design' rear bumper, to heated SVR steering wheel and more
Aviator

Post by Aviator »

cj10jeeper wrote: Sat Apr 07, 2018 2:38 pm To take this beyond the boot dimensions issue I frequently have a 95L Samsonite in the passenger footwell and on the front of the seat. It's sits inclined nose down at around 45 degrees. I have an old sheet that protects should it touch/rub anything, but in reality it's a rounded ABS case with no sharp bits. No safety issues as it doesn't move an inch and is an easy option with no passenger
I'll give that a try I think. As I understand a proper fitting one (95L is pretty big) will do better than a smaller one, which could move about?

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post