2.0 L F-Type Recall

Anything F-Type related......
Jason B

Post by Jason B »

Got home tonight to find a letter from Jaguar saying that my 2.0L F-Type is being recalled due to a issue with the manufacturing of the engine mounted fuel rails (faulty brazing from a supplier) on 2L Ingenium I4 Petrol Engines. A USA note is here:

https://jlr.oemdtc.com/214/h081-fuel-le ... ace-f-type

It doesn't affect every 2.0L engine (more recent ones seem to have had the issue sorted), but a bit disappointing to get a recall after having the car for just 4 months. Have checked the engine tonight, can't smell or see any obvious signs of leakage, but will have to get the car booked in asap though, not something that can wait!

Any affected owners should get a letter shortly, or you can check on the DVLA website if the recall affects you.
2.0L MY2018 Caldera Red.

captainham

Post by captainham »

Ouch, not good :shock:

Doesn't sound like you want to risk driving around in it until it's sorted, no matter how small the chance of fire...

Found this for the US market but same recall essentially:

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2018/R ... 0-8688.pdf

At the PSCC on January 09, 2018, engineering confirmed that the lack of braze on the fuel rail to end cap joint was the fuel leak path and the joint would fail at some time in the future but the failure could not be correlated to mileage or time. Further testing identified that due to the high pressure in the fuel rail and the pressure pulsation force within the system, joints not fully brazed will fatigue over varying amount of time or distance.

During January 2018, investigations with the component supplier revealed that the supplier 100% End of Line leak test would not reliably detect an inadequately brazed end cap.
F-Type V6S IRR Coupe MY2016 AT
PhilB

Post by PhilB »

The Topix reference for this is H081.
Letters have been arriving to owners on other forums as well in the last week.
powerhouse

Post by powerhouse »

Got my car in the end of february, no letter yet, hopefully not, sure if it has to be done it has to be done, they said it will be done free of charge, did they think we were going to pay for it if needed. I have to travel a 3 hours to the dealer then back and the time and bother, if i have to get it done there will be a free service negotiation i think.
Caledra Red 2018 2.0 R Dynamic
Black Pack
Project 7 Grill
Eibach Lowering Springs
Judd Model One 21" Rims
305/25/21 rears 265/30/21 fronts
Maxton design rear lip spoiler & rear diffuser splitters
Rear box delete, twin straight pipes fitted
Chas

Post by Chas »

Have had my car since last June, with, as yet, no hint of a petrol leak or smell. Have now taken to opening the boot after each journey to check.

Can anyone post a pic of where this brazed on part is so that I can check more closely? I haven't a clue where to start!

The car is booked in to fix this but my main dealer, the only one in Glasgow, can't (won't?) look at it until My 15th, so presumably this is not considered that urgent (?)

Have to say, more than a bit disappointed with Jaguar, there is this thing, plus my noisy transmission problem and, as also noted elsewhere, the poor software on the infotainment system, all added to the length of the waiting time - really don't expect any of this from a prestige manufacturer or from a car costing this much!
powerhouse

Post by powerhouse »

Chas wrote: Sun Apr 08, 2018 6:05 pm Have had my car since last June, with, as yet, no hint of a petrol leak or smell. Have now taken to opening the boot after each journey to check.

Can anyone post a pic of where this brazed on part is so that I can check more closely? I haven't a clue where to start!

The car is booked in to fix this but my main dealer, the only one in Glasgow, can't (won't?) look at it until My 15th, so presumably this is not considered that urgent (?)

Have to say, more than a bit disappointed with Jaguar, there is this thing, plus my noisy transmission problem and, as also noted elsewhere, the poor software on the infotainment system, all added to the length of the waiting time - really don't expect any of this from a prestige manufacturer or from a car costing this much!
So did you get a letter to get it sorted, on another forum i looked at a link and it said it applied to 2017 cars
Black Pack
Project 7 Grill
Eibach Lowering Springs
Judd Model One 21" Rims
Chas

Post by Chas »

Yes, got the letter, on Friday last, phoned my dealer immediately - result as above! I think I must have got one of the first of the 2.0L versions.
powerhouse

Post by powerhouse »

Chas wrote: Sun Apr 08, 2018 6:57 pm Yes, got the letter, on Friday last, phoned my dealer immediately - result as above! I think I must have got one of the first of the 2.0L versions.
Going to give my dealer a call tomorrow see can i get some info on mine, don't think i'd be as understanding as you and waiting
Black Pack
Project 7 Grill
Eibach Lowering Springs
Judd Model One 21" Rims
powerhouse

Post by powerhouse »

Black Pack
Project 7 Grill
Eibach Lowering Springs
Judd Model One 21" Rims
scharlton

Post by scharlton »

Hi Jason B,

Sorry to hear you're having a recall.

I'm in a difficult position on this as I'm an F Type owner so would also be annoyed at having a recall on my pride and joy. I'm also in the automotive trade and represent foreign companies who supply into the European automotive industry.

On the supplier side we do all we can to make sure our parts meet the manufacturers demands and put in place all the systems we can to make sure the parts are at the right quality. The car customers monitor our quality in PPM (parts per million) with a target of zero and anything over 2 or 3 being frowned upon and financially penalised. From the comments it seems the supplier did have end of line tests but these were not robust enough of did not re-create the actual forces involved to enable them to detect the lack of braze condition.

From a supplier point of view, we do everything we can to make sure parts are perfect but every now and again, something completely unexpected can happen and cause a few parts to escape that can cause customers issues. (Sounds like I work for JLR, I don't, honestly)

Finally, if it's fuel rail it will be in the engine bay, someone said they checked for a fuel smell in the boot, there's no point, the fuel rail is always next to the cylinder inlets.
2014 Coupe 5.0R RWD
White
Herts

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post