Active Exhaust Stuck Closed

Anything F-Type related......
carmadbaker

Post by carmadbaker »

Hi guys,

So after collecting my V6 up on Saturday.... I am more than happy with the car, performance is fantastic, nice place to be, handling is sharp and responsive, in short... completely in love.
But.... a fly in the ointment... the car has the "loud" button fitted as an option, but it appears to make absolutely no difference what so ever.
Anyone had experience of these getting stuck closed before? I have checked the vacuum pipes and will check fuses tonight, just curious if anyone had something similar before?
Its booked back in for Jag to take a look on the 4th May.... which seems ages away.

thanks!
Dan

mikemsm999

Post by mikemsm999 »

carmadbaker wrote: Wed Apr 18, 2018 2:45 pm Hi guys,

So after collecting my V6 up on Saturday.... I am more than happy with the car, performance is fantastic, nice place to be, handling is sharp and responsive, in short... completely in love.
But.... a fly in the ointment... the car has the "loud" button fitted as an option, but it appears to make absolutely no difference what so ever.
Anyone had experience of these getting stuck closed before? I have checked the vacuum pipes and will check fuses tonight, just curious if anyone had something similar before?
Its booked back in for Jag to take a look on the 4th May.... which seems ages away.

thanks!
Dan

That's hell of a long time to wait for them to look at the car, bet if you were booking a £700 service they would 'fit' you in much quicker! Did you purchase from the main main dealer?

Not had a problem with mine being stuck closed on the F-Type but it was squeaking when the flaps opened/ closed which meant a new back box. Not covered under warranty but as it was happening during the drive home from the main dealer I purchased it from in the end they relented and paid for a new one to be fitted at my local dealers.

This was a problem with the XKR though through, the active exhaust not being used so the flaps corroded in place - again new back box required.

The F-Type system works in the same way as the XKR so at the worse it could be the flaps are stuck, at the best a blown fuse or lose wire.

Fingers crossed for you Dan!
F-Type V6 S Convertible, Polaris White, Extended Leather Pack, Performance Interior, Storm Alloy Wheels, Rusty Rear Cross-member!
PussCat

Post by PussCat »

How does one know (without a side by side comparison, or taking the box apart) that the valves are stuck closed, rather than open?
VROOOOM! (Pockle Pockle Pockle) MY17 V6S coupe in BRG.
ajbh

Post by ajbh »

Mine was stuck open, seemed an easy fix once they had it in, not recurred in 3 years since :)
carmadbaker

Post by carmadbaker »

Hmmm very strange indeed, like you said sir, had it been a pricey service i suspect i would of been booked in for the weekend! Guess they arent paniced because its not safety related or crucial to the running of the car.
I only realised after replicating the same “pull” with the button on and off, the tone did not change atall!
Lofty

Post by Lofty »

Stuck closed: Get it fixed as soon as possible
Stuck open : Don’t bother :)
carmadbaker

Post by carmadbaker »

Lofty wrote: Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:04 pm Stuck closed: Get it fixed as soon as possible
Stuck open : Don’t bother :)
EXACTLY my thoughts hahahaha
I got underneath it yesterday to try and manually force them open, seem stuck hard. Going to try and free them up with a vacuum pump later. I refuse to give up
Kdes

Post by Kdes »

Can you take some pictures of the mechanism when you are underneath?

Also anyone know if there a any lubrication that can be done as a preventative . I guess the valves get quite hot so options might be limited.
Last edited by Kdes on Fri Apr 20, 2018 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Storm Grey V6 coupe 2016MY
Monster

Post by Monster »

Copper slip.
My exhaust valves were squeaking and I wasn't about to shell out £1400 for a new back box so I got the technician to apply copper slip at my last service.
They were a bit sniffy about it to start with, now they want me to report back as it might be a fix they use on other squeaky f types.
M
Kdes

Post by Kdes »

Did the squeak stop?
Storm Grey V6 coupe 2016MY

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post