What else did you shortlist?

Anything F-Type related......
Ian J

Post by Ian J »

I am three or four months away from my purchase and much as I am impatient I can't pull the plug any sooner as it would cost me £4,000 to get out of my existing PCP this early.

I had whittled down my existing shortlist from three cars to just one as the Range Rover Sport and Porsche Panamera were deemed too big leaving just the F Type S AWD and for my budget of £45,000 I seem to be able to get a pretty decent low mileage 2015 model although right at the minute there seems to be an acute shortage on sale.

I was idly looking through Autotrader to see if there is anything else I should be considering and was surprised to find that a 2015 BMW I8 wouldn't cost that much more.

A 2015 I8 would probably cost about £10,000 more but as the residuals are better the monthly cost wouldn't be much more and the much higher insurance would be offset by the cheaper tax and fuel costs.

I do about 9,000 miles a year and whatever I buy will be my daily driver.

I haven't actually driven either car yet and have concerns about the sheer width of the i8 mainly concerning parking rather than actually driving it.

I was wondering if anyone else considered an i8 as an alternative and if so what your conclusions were? Conversely what else did you consider when making your purchase?

cj10jeeper

Post by cj10jeeper »

Slightly different but I'm looking to change our XF. Top of the list at the moment is a 1 year old Evoque Autobiography. They are pretty neat, well specced and not to big. Mrs misses the X5 space and road presence but we don't need the bulk of an RR Sport. Daughter has an Epace arriving in 2 weeks so that's a no for us.

Neighbour had a Panamera and hated it so that's out too due to the bulk.
I like the i8 but have some concerns about the battery given they are ageing a bit now and frankly if we dare just park and leave. Also can't have 2 pure fun cars around..

We had a loaner 18 plate Evoque delivered last night while the ePace is shipped (123 miles on clock) I should get some road experience of one and make a decision.

As an aside it shows that not all JLR dealers are poor on customer service to bring this up from London the day after they received it and hand to us as a loaner..
2014 MY 3.0 V6S Roadster
Subtle enhancements to create the car I wanted from SVR nose cone, 400 series side skirts & customised 'design' rear bumper, to heated SVR steering wheel and more
ajbh

Post by ajbh »

I was intending to buy an xf when I got mine ;) moment of madness in the showroom...

I8 looks the business but Id miss the noise of the f. Enjoy them while they last!

Jess
Senninha

Post by Senninha »

Next time you get close to an i8, open the doors and look at the absolutely shocking carbon work ... then add in that every owner I’ve spoken to says they struggle to get more than low 20’s economy in the real world unless on a long run .. it will be an F-type every time ..

IMHO the i8 is colour sensitive, but can look stunning and are a tempting ownership option at the current entry level ... I just cant get past the poor build quality ...
Storm Grey V6 coupe, fun, fast, popping and crackling with smiles all the way ... missed more than I expected!
1998 NSX 3.2 Targa manual
C43 AMG estate, lots of toys, like the F-Type but with 4 seats and far more stealthy but still with pops and crackles!
Ian J

Post by Ian J »

Senninha wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:15 pm Next time you get close to an i8, open the doors and look at the absolutely shocking carbon work
I went to look at one yesterday in the local Sytner showroom but I didn't look that closely at the build quality. I was more interested in how easy it was to get in and out (I am not a young man) and how wide the doors opened for future parking problems.

I was a little concerned that when opening the door the door itself obstructs your view of the clearance so if there is a car parked next to you it's impossible to see if the door will hit it or not.

I must admit that the F Type does look a more sensible buy
Dazarooni

Post by Dazarooni »

The F-Type R was the only thing on my list. Big step up from a 1.4 TSI Scirocco...

It had to have the right spec though and thankfully I only had to wait a month for one to come up on Autotrader. It had to have metallic white paint, black panoramic roof, exterior black pack and black wheels. It had to be an AWD model. Thankfully, the interior was well specced too so I immediately put a deposit down.

There's nothing else out there that remotely interested me.
Deleted User 1088

Post by Deleted User 1088 »

cj10jeeper wrote: Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:14 am Slightly different but I'm looking to change our XF. Top of the list at the moment is a 1 year old Evoque Autobiography. They are pretty neat, well specced and not to big. Mrs misses the X5 space and road presence but we don't need the bulk of an RR Sport. Daughter has an Epace arriving in 2 weeks so that's a no for us.

Neighbour had a Panamera and hated it so that's out too due to the bulk.
I like the i8 but have some concerns about the battery given they are ageing a bit now and frankly if we dare just park and leave. Also can't have 2 pure fun cars around..

We had a loaner 18 plate Evoque delivered last night while the ePace is shipped (123 miles on clock) I should get some road experience of one and make a decision.

As an aside it shows that not all JLR dealers are poor on customer service to bring this up from London the day after they received it and hand to us as a loaner..
Hello

we used to have a Evoque on a 14 plate (ford 2.2 derv engine) my wife loved it .. we covered 5000 miles trouble free
but part ex it for a new bmw Z4 35is .. now I have the ftype coupe

we are now looking at another .. and F*** it I will my a diesel and be done with with it and stick 100,000 miles on it and just use it
Senninha

Post by Senninha »

Wish lists should be kept as limited as possible with full history a given ... mine was:

Dark exterior colour as I feel they show off the coupe’s line better
Pan roof
19” wheels .... my favourite local roads are shot to pieces for 20’s
Switchable exhaust
Leather performance seats

Anything else was a bonus ... and if you find one with a pre-paid service pack like I did, that was an excellent bonus!!
Storm Grey V6 coupe, fun, fast, popping and crackling with smiles all the way ... missed more than I expected!
1998 NSX 3.2 Targa manual
C43 AMG estate, lots of toys, like the F-Type but with 4 seats and far more stealthy but still with pops and crackles!
Jlsthlm

Post by Jlsthlm »

I had the following alternatives when I looked at “third car” alternatives:
- Mercedes C 63 S AMG
- BMW M6 w. Acrapovic exhaust
- F-Type Coupe R
- (Lexus RC F - took it off the list after test driving)

In the end it fell on the F-Type due to 1) looks 2) sound.
ftype88

Post by ftype88 »

It was really either the jag or a nicely specced up Mercedes Benz SLK for me, but I decided to stretch my budget and get the jaguar as it’s been my dream car since it came out. Even if I had a lot more money to spend I still think I’d just buy a new f type. That’s why Im so excited to have been able to get my dream car!

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post