Manual Transmission Slipping Clutch

Anything F-Type related......
carmadbaker

Post by carmadbaker »

So I have owned my F-Type V6 Manual for just over a week now, short of a stuck active exhaust... I have enjoyed every second, that was until Thursday night when a fairly enthusiastic shift from 1st to 2nd led to a severe slip on the clutch...

a JLR Assist technician visited home and test drove the car before reporting the clutch was 100% slipping on 1st gear changes.

It was taken to Guy Salmon Maidstone on Friday who managed to fix the active exhaust but claim they can not replicate the clutch fault, therefore will do nothing about it, which I do semi-understand.... you can't be dishing out free parts and labour without irrefutable evidence the fault exists. However with 1 technician and the customer already reporting the issue how much more proof do they need?! I have been instructed to attend site tonight to take a technician out to show him the fault, where he can give me some "pointers" in driving the car, which to be honest is not a great feeling. I know he will tell me to "slow down" the gear changes between 1st and 2nd.... but my argument is the car should be able to shift as fast as I can physically do it, or does that sound unreasonable? Frankly the idea of having a sports car that can't ever actually achieve the claimed 0-60 because of an incapable clutch systems seems ludacris....

Any other manual f-type owners notice this issue? Or had similar before? I know they are few and far between but certainly worth an ask.
Sorry for the wordy and frustrated rant :lol: i was hpoing for a better start in f-type ownership :cry:

davidd

Post by davidd »

A clutch slip should be pretty obvious, I would have thought if it's slipping on 1st gear changes it would be slipping on them all and should very easy to diagnose.
Malbec

Post by Malbec »

17MY V6S AWD Coupé Ammonite grey.
UAD wireless CarPlay.
carmadbaker

Post by carmadbaker »

So.. got the car back on Monday... been told to "adjust my driving" to suit the car.... so basically... granny shift because the clutch and gearbox are near on useless for high speed gear changes. My daily is a 2004 VW Passat on 250,000 miles, has never had a new clutch, but I can physically shift faster in that car than my £35k+ 2 seater sports car.... something doesn't sound right does it?
So in short... this may be the shortest F-Type ownership in history (2 weeks), I have contacted the dealer and requested to return the vehicle, unless they can pull something out of the bag last minute. Absolutely breaking my heart but I do not want this purchase to sting me further down the line :(
cj10jeeper

Post by cj10jeeper »

It's not really a fault at all, but a design that assuming it has a CDV fitted it's designed to stop the unwary dumping the clutch and destroying the drivetrain. The same issue existed on the M variant of the Z4
For sure if you're not happy you have 2 choices. Take it back or remove the CDV and risk damage, assuming you like your driving style
2014 MY 3.0 V6S Roadster
Subtle enhancements to create the car I wanted from SVR nose cone, 400 series side skirts & customised 'design' rear bumper, to heated SVR steering wheel and more
Deleted User 1088

Post by Deleted User 1088 »

Hello

taken from topix text description for the manual clutch :)

The hydraulic adaptor contains a peak torque
limiter to prevent instant clutch engagement if the driver accidentally releases the clutch pedal quickly
to prevent damage to the drive line components.

so as per cj10jeepers comments
Aitch

Post by Aitch »

kaspa wrote: Fri Apr 27, 2018 4:00 pm Hello

taken from topix text description for the manual clutch :)

The hydraulic adaptor contains a peak torque
limiter to prevent instant clutch engagement if the driver accidentally releases the clutch pedal quickly
to prevent damage to the drive line components.

so as per cj10jeepers comments
That sounds ridiculous. So Jaguar make the assumption that the buyers of their 'sports car' won't know how to drive the manual version properly. Or is it to mask weak components further down the drivetrain?
Could that have something to do with the choice of Pirelli tyres? Spin up the wheels to protect the mechanicals?
Deleted User 1088

Hello

I don't know .. but my Z4M roadsters were the same ? and my LT1 corvettes the same again ?

all I would say is that lower powered manual cars are not knocking out 460 Nm torque ? and my auto is fine :D and quicker

just passing on the info buddy
Deleted User 1088

carmadbaker wrote: Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:58 am So.. got the car back on Monday... been told to "adjust my driving" to suit the car.... so basically... granny shift because the clutch and gearbox are near on useless for high speed gear changes. My daily is a 2004 VW Passat on 250,000 miles, has never had a new clutch, but I can physically shift faster in that car than my £35k+ 2 seater sports car.... something doesn't sound right does it?
So in short... this may be the shortest F-Type ownership in history (2 weeks), I have contacted the dealer and requested to return the vehicle, unless they can pull something out of the bag last minute. Absolutely breaking my heart but I do not want this purchase to sting me further down the line :(
you may shift faster but not perhaps quicker then the f type in terms of zero to sixty ?
Malbec

Post by Malbec »

17MY V6S AWD Coupé Ammonite grey.
UAD wireless CarPlay.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post