In control touch pro sim activation

Anything F-Type related......
Dan_Veluwe

Post by Dan_Veluwe »

My car has the latest navigation system and requires a 4G data sim card. JLR says it has to be a 'microsim' and the 'punched out' type where you leave the nano in the micro sim cutout won't work... Well , it does work, don't worry.

Most important is to know that the sims come with the standard "0000" PIN-code, and the car [ at least mine] , did not get to asking the PIN.
It just didn't function at all.

So the golden tip is, to remove the PIN completely ;

- put the new sim in a normal phone;
- go to the security settings;
- set it for 'do not secure the sim with a PIN-code' ;
- go out of the menu;
- power off the phone and remove the sim.

It will now function in the car, as long as its not a sim for a normal phone with which you have minutes/sms in your budget as well..
Range Rover P400e autobiography Loire Blue (2019) :P
Mazda__MX30_RED___2021_ BEV
FT jag _P300 _Ultra Bleu, 2018 ___________SOLD :(
D5 lr__SD4__Corris Grey, Blck roof, 2018_SOLD :roll:
FP Jag – 25t _Loire Blue ,2020 ____________SOLD :|

PhilB

Post by PhilB »

Thanks for the info Dan and glad that method has worked for you but I would advise caution especially with the UK members.
Although the Pro system is relatively new to the F-Type it has been around in other models for a couple of years.

The problems that are often seen are people using add-on sims from their normal phone accounts, registering the sim before it goes in the car and also popping out the wrong sized sim.
Now, in some cases people have used sims from their phone accounts and it has worked but the vast majority have bought a separate data only sim which is unlocked and is plug and play.
I'm not connected with them but the "3" Data only sim which is available in different data sizes is the one people mostly use.
12Gb of data for 12 months is around £30 so very cheap at round £2.50 per Gb.
I'm just renewing mine (12 months limit expiring) and going down to a 3Gb sim for 12 months at £12 as I have found that just having the mobile data on uses very little data.
Of course if you use the mobile hotspot regularly then more data gets used.

One problem with popping a sim into your phone first is that the majority of newer phones use a nano sim.
The car uses the micro sim so if you pop out the nano you are going to have to fix it back into the micro "frame" before it can go in the car.

People have found that the 3 sim works straight out of the box with no registering or any other issues.
Fez

Post by Fez »

I agree with Philb the 3 data SIM is the way to go, works first time and easy to set up. The lady in the store even asked if it was going in a Jaguar so she could get the right size SIM. Use about 100mb per month however I have only use it a little so far. Phil
Black AWD 400, sport
MY 18.5
Pan Roof
Heated front screen
Front parking sensors
Full spare
Dan_Veluwe

Post by Dan_Veluwe »

@PhilB.
Clearly its NOT wise to extract the nanosim to put it in a phone in order to de-activate the PIN, avoid this at all times. Probabaly someone has
a mobile phone around [ I used an old LG], with a micro sim.

I have heard about the "3" , which is very usefull when you live in the UK. But I asked around on the D3 forum and members told me "3" would probably block the SIM when evidently in use strictly outside the UK..

Best is always to try first to get it to work in the car. But as it doesn't : put it in a phone suitable for a microsim.. :geek:
PhilB

Post by PhilB »

Dan_Veluwe wrote: Thu May 03, 2018 9:17 am I have heard about the "3" , which is very usefull when you live in the UK. But I asked around on the D3 forum and members told me "3" would probably block the SIM when evidently in use strictly outside the UK..
The main thing is that you have a sim that works for you.
:D
For the info of anybody thinking of taking their car abroad, apparently it actually works as normal in Europe as well.
There is a thread (lengthy!) on the F-Pace forums and on page 6 a member says it was working perfectly in France with 3G, mobile data and WiFi hotspot working as it does in the UK.
It requires "data roaming" to be enabled in the car settings but seems to work fine apart from having to re-enable mobile data when crossing from one supplier to another apparently.

https://www.fpaceforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=789

But obviously if a vehicle is being used permanently outside the UK it would be better to use a SIm from a local network.
Deleted User 1481

Post by Deleted User 1481 »

I would strongly advise anyone NOT to put a nano sim in one of those adapters that makes it bigger so it fits in the car's Micro sim slot or try and put the nano sim back in the micro frame.

In the car instructions it specifically says not to do that. I didn't spot this and put my nano sim in an adapter and put it in the Jag and it got jammed. Had to take it to the dealer to get it extracted and have an entire new Sim unit installed in the car as the extraction broke the original one.

Fortunately they did it under warranty so it didn't cost me anything except time.
apr1962

Post by apr1962 »

I have the three sim, but when in the car it will not let me turn mobile data on. The SIM definitely works as I have tried it in a WiFi dongle

Anyone any ideas?
MY 2018 V8R AWD Convertible
Ammonite Grey / Black Leather
Modifications:
SVR Bonnet Vents
Flat Bottomed Steering Wheel
Jaguar Aluminium Paddles
Fez

Post by Fez »

Have you followed the instructions on set up ? Conduct the set up in the car not on a mobile. Registration has to be done in car to for it all to work.
Black AWD 400, sport
MY 18.5
Pan Roof
Heated front screen
Front parking sensors
Full spare
Dan_Veluwe

Post by Dan_Veluwe »

How far do you get into the menu ? If you 'activate data' [ don't remember exact wording ], it starts searching, then a "3" appears in the screen, very unconspicous, on the left edge. If you have that, its stuck on the PIN.

Do you have a phone that takes a MICRO sim [ or a tablet] ? ONLY then, you can put it in that phone, go to 'security' and remove ' secure with PIN' .
Power the device off. Put the SIM in the car [ only if Nano/edge are still CONNECTED ]. If the NANO is loose in the edge, it can damage the SIM holder and get stuck..
apr1962

Post by apr1962 »

I enable mobile data agree the warning and it comes back and says mobile data not available. When I click on about the IEMI number is blank and the MAC address is blank.

I haven’t turned the pin off, but I don’t thinks it’s on. I inserted the sim in a MiFi unit and it worked fine. I called Three and they said they was no issue and nothing needed to be confugiyred in SIM
MY 2018 V8R AWD Convertible
Ammonite Grey / Black Leather
Modifications:
SVR Bonnet Vents
Flat Bottomed Steering Wheel
Jaguar Aluminium Paddles

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post