Pot Holes - Alloy Gators

Anything F-Type related......
NBC fdff

Post by NBC fdff »

Thanks simpleR. I have 6003 gyrodyne which are diamond cut
2018 2.0 R Dynamic in Carpathian Grey
Exterior black pack, Pano roof, 20" Gyrodynes and other bits and bobs ....

powerhouse

Post by powerhouse »

I have 6003 gyrodynes which are diamond cut also, have used these gator protecters before, they work well of painted wheels but can easily scrape the laquer/diamonnd/poished cut finish on other wheels, would not use them, if any movement occours they will cause damage and then water gets under the clear coat. Abdul ,i would not use them on your rims, better to just take more time when watching the curbs. One other thing they can make the rim look smaller than it acually is on certain designs.
Caledra Red 2018 2.0 R Dynamic
Black Pack
Project 7 Grill
Eibach Lowering Springs
Judd Model One 21" Rims
305/25/21 rears 265/30/21 fronts
Maxton design rear lip spoiler & rear diffuser splitters
Rear box delete, twin straight pipes fitted
Kdes

Post by Kdes »

Be aware there are a number of similar products with different attachment methods. Some are clip on or friction fit and some are glued or stick on with double sided tape. Both have advantages and disadvantages.

Kev
Storm Grey V6 coupe 2016MY
NBC fdff

Post by NBC fdff »

Thanks guys all helpful advice received!
A
2018 2.0 R Dynamic in Carpathian Grey
Exterior black pack, Pano roof, 20" Gyrodynes and other bits and bobs ....
cj10jeeper

Post by cj10jeeper »

Well I've researched them a little bit more and they have no place on my car, although they can help with low speed car park type graunches on kerbs, etc. Each to their own choice, but here's my thoughts:

Manufacturer has only tested to legal speed limit and claims such. Our cars can do well over double that speed.. I wouldn't what to enter a bend at high speed knowing the tyre to rim fit is compromised by something wedged in, or to cruise at high speeds, untested .
They stipulate they can cause corrosion in alloys as stated above and air leaks and judging by the way they are beat into the sealing surface between rim and tyre I have total confidence they will increase the risk of corrosion or air leaks
Manufacturer does not claim they help pothole damage (unless I missed it in the blurb) I don't believe they can given pot hole damage is about hitting the tyre and rim on a sharp entry/exit of a hole causing pinched tyres, dents, buckles, etc.. Damage is to the bottom of the tyre/sidewall and rim, not the alloy side, except perhaps minor scraping

If you want to protect the rims choose a tyre with significant kerb protection built in. My XF that wife uses on 20" rims has this with a 1cm rim protectors at the rim edge of the sidewall (Goodyear Eagle F1 Assys (with rim protection). High end performance tyre, but no 'Gator' compromises
2014 MY 3.0 V6S Roadster
Subtle enhancements to create the car I wanted from SVR nose cone, 400 series side skirts & customised 'design' rear bumper, to heated SVR steering wheel and more
Dan_Veluwe

Post by Dan_Veluwe »

I had alloygators on my D3 ; came off all the time. Replaced for new set, also came off.
This probably had to do with the high sidewalls of the tires, so NOT likely to occur on low slung F-Type wheels.

I also had them on a FL2, with lower aspect ratio. No problem at all.

Many makes of tyres now come with a protruding rubber edge for wheel protection, making them obsolete.

I find the clip that closes the ring hidious. 8-)
Range Rover P400e autobiography Loire Blue (2019) :P
Mazda__MX30_RED___2021_ BEV
FT jag _P300 _Ultra Bleu, 2018 ___________SOLD :(
D5 lr__SD4__Corris Grey, Blck roof, 2018_SOLD :roll:
FP Jag – 25t _Loire Blue ,2020 ____________SOLD :|
dezzy

Post by dezzy »

Thanks for the feedback on these. I think I'll just stick with being careful when I'm parking and keep my eyes peeled for potholes.
V6 coupe, Ultimate Black, 19" propellor wheels, suede cloth performance seats, interior black pack, suede cloth headlining, flat bottom steering wheel, heated seats, power tailgate
01286p

Post by 01286p »

I can only say/ comment that they worked for me and I am very glad to have them, saved the refurbishment of two wheels and being without my car for three days whilst the work was done.
Upon close examination there is NOT a mark on my Black Wheels and whilst the wear edge on the tyre was very slightly cut / marked the Gator took all the damage.....seemed a no brainer to me.

I have just come back from Ace of Shrewsbury who fitted them to check that there was no other damage...all was well and the check up was free of charge too.

They do acknowledge that there could be a problem with Diamond Cut wheels if the Gators are not installed carefully if the lacquer is scratched, but would point out that normally the damage to these wheels is scratching from the kerb which is probably far more likely.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post