Pot Holes - Alloy Gators

Anything F-Type related......
01286p

Post by 01286p »

The other night whilst driving home in the dark, speed about 50 mph, the steering of my V6S Coupe with 20 inch wheels was ripped from my hands, followed by an enormous graunching sound, I had hit a very deep pothole, luckily Ace in Shrewsbury had fitted Alloy Gators , other than a very badly scored Gator there was no damage to the wheel or tyre, so any body doubting the benefit I would say that they are excellent value.

cj10jeeper

Post by cj10jeeper »

Keep an eye on your tyre. That’s the part that will have taken the impact as a pinch and could easily bulge and burst if the internal cords are damaged. Been there done that when one bulged out a week after a pothole hit
2014 MY 3.0 V6S Roadster
Subtle enhancements to create the car I wanted from SVR nose cone, 400 series side skirts & customised 'design' rear bumper, to heated SVR steering wheel and more
dezzy

Post by dezzy »

What are these alloy gator things then? Can you see them? Did a bit of googling and, unless I've misunderstood them, surely they spoil the look of your alloys? A coloured ring around the edge?
V6 coupe, Ultimate Black, 19" propellor wheels, suede cloth performance seats, interior black pack, suede cloth headlining, flat bottom steering wheel, heated seats, power tailgate
NBC fdff

Post by NBC fdff »

Hi. I had look at these as well previously and that was my concern too Dezzy. However i believe they come in different colours to blend in (or stand out!)
01286p are u able to post an image ?
Ta much
2018 2.0 R Dynamic in Carpathian Grey
Exterior black pack, Pano roof, 20" Gyrodynes and other bits and bobs ....
simpleR

Post by simpleR »

They are designed to protect against kerbing but can assist if you hit a pot hole as it protects the allow and rim of the tyre.
I've clipped my nearside rear twice whilst parking and other than a scratched gator all OK. The gators were £144 fitted at work.

Before, no gators when car was new.....

without.jpg

After, it's the only picture I've got with them on at an angle similar to without. Dirty!

with.jpg

400 Sport AWD - MY18 - Black, pano roof and thats about it 8-)
m_101

Post by m_101 »

Bear in mind they do not advise fitting the alloygators with diamond polished wheels. They can scratch the rim enough under the protector that it will let in water and you'll eventually get corrosion, according to the manufacurer. That's the only reason I went with stick-on ones.
16MY V8R, Ammonite Grey with full red leather interior, carbon roof, 770w stereo, few other bits.
simpleR

Post by simpleR »

Yes that is worth mentioning although AlloyGators fitted properly wont scratch the wheel. The official line from manufacturer is below.

If you have 5058, 6003, 1041 or 5042 (in any colour) style wheels then you might want to seek an alternative product/solution if you are concerned.

The “AlloyGator” alloy wheel rim protectors are not recommended for machine polished or diamond cut alloy wheels. Although fitting the product will provide superior protection against kerb damage, due to existing imperfections in the lacquered wheel surface our product may increase the risk of moisture retention and accelerate wheel degradation. Providing there is no minute damage to the wheel surface, fitting the "AlloyGator" wheel rim protectors will not cause damage on its own, however AlloyGator Limited accepts no liability if the product when fitted causes such damage. Taking the above into account, we do still have many customers with machine polished wheels, that choose to use alloygators to protect their wheels.
Aitch

Post by Aitch »

Of the pothole incident was that bad, get the wheel checked for buckling. Your plastic protector may prevent kerbing damage but not buckling after the impact you describe.

On the subject of pot holes, I was pleasantly surprised recently to be alerted to the presence of pot holes by Waze sat nav.
Boostfan

Post by Boostfan »

They also leave horrible adhesive behind when removed that is really difficult to get off.
White MK3 Focus RS.
simpleR

Post by simpleR »

There is no glue or adhesive used... (Except where the join is but shouldn't touch the alloy). I had no issues removing and refitting the same set at tyre change time either and no marks.

Here is video

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post