200 cell Cat on a V6 340 Does it bring the MIL light ?

Anything F-Type related......
JagNut

Post by JagNut »

I am looking at replacing the cat on a 2017 V6 with the 200 cell type, I have read that a decat throws a code and brings on the MIL light on the display........
Has anyone experienced this with a 200 cell cat ?
Am also fitting K&N filters to improve breathing and perhaps release a couple of horses too,
Grateful for any info on the risk of bringing that dreaded light on if anyone has done this ?
Many thanks in advance

Gasman2

Post by Gasman2 »

As i understand it will at some point trigger a check light best to have the velocity tune at the same time
cj10jeeper

Post by cj10jeeper »

I wouldn’t touch a K&N. All the trouble of cleaning and oiling it, no real performance gain and just lets dirt and grit into the engine.
Ran one Om my Z4 and couldn’t give it away..

I do run them in my jJeeps simply due to extreme water and dirt that soaks and ruins paper and stops the engine. I accept engine wear as a consequence
2014 MY 3.0 V6S Roadster
Subtle enhancements to create the car I wanted from SVR nose cone, 400 series side skirts & customised 'design' rear bumper, to heated SVR steering wheel and more
Gasman2

Post by Gasman2 »

There are better paper elements but u really cant tell the difference to a normal filter
Deleted User 1088

Post by Deleted User 1088 »

cj10jeeper wrote: Tue May 15, 2018 4:06 pm I wouldn’t touch a K&N. All the trouble of cleaning and oiling it, no real performance gain and just lets dirt and grit into the engine.
Ran one Om my Z4 and couldn’t give it away..

I do run them in my jJeeps simply due to extreme water and dirt that soaks and ruins paper and stops the engine. I accept engine wear as a consequence
Yes agree with these comments .. just change your stock filters more regular .. also not so much of a issue on a forced induction car :) the K&N will not give that much performance gain .. if any at all

now normally aspirated cars are different
0800Dinosaur

Post by 0800Dinosaur »

JagNut wrote: Tue May 15, 2018 2:12 pm I am looking at replacing the cat on a 2017 V6 with the 200 cell type, I have read that a decat throws a code and brings on the MIL light on the display........
Has anyone experienced this with a 200 cell cat ?
Am also fitting K&N filters to improve breathing and perhaps release a couple of horses too,
Grateful for any info on the risk of bringing that dreaded light on if anyone has done this ?
Many thanks in advance
Jagnut, have you seen that thread on the yank forums (edit: just realised it's an international forum) about them working with AP to make new inlets? Idea being to remove the section with the baffles; more induction sound/SC whine. I do like a bit of whine and when the solution is more mature and my warranty is over I may well be interested. Reading your post, thought it may interest you too.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f-ty ... se-200168/

They're also talking about achieving a ram air effect, but meh. I'm not sure that's even a thing with FI (though happy to be edjumacated if I'm wrong)
JagNut

Post by JagNut »

What great info, many many thanks guys, much appreciated
I have now discounted the 200 cell cats as a means of enhancing the exhaust sound and efficiency, the thought of wrestling with the MIL illuminating and the background code clearing saga, have now parked this option for me and the guidance on K&N oiled cotton type filters compromising filtration and not actually being a viable flow gain on a forced induction engine also makes total sense.
I have turned to this device to enhance the sound, it will work for me as I do have active exhaust valves fitted but no internal (optional extra) switch fitted to control them https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/142783728436
Again my thanks to all

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post