Project 7 Grill

Anything F-Type related......
DaddyDarren

Post by DaddyDarren »

Had a couple of PM’s about my grill. Here’s my experience to help those getting it done.

OEM or Paramount

I’ve been in possession of both Paramount & OEM Project 7 items. To be honest I wouldn’t really be able to tell the difference without very close scrutiny. What is more important is getting a top class paint job of whichever you go with & get the sensor pockets fitted to the same standard.

Apparently the OEM grill is hard to order with a ‘real’ P7 VIN. I have the OEM part numbers for those who want to try OEM but for me the Paramount one is more than acceptable.

The front bumper will need to be removed to fit new grill. Also, behind the grill is some metalwork that will required painting flat black before new grill fitted. If you buy the Paramount grill & get them to fit it, bare this in mind when negotiating price. I would buy grill, obtain sensor pockets, then get local top-end body shop involved.

Sensors

My sensors were ‘bonded’ to the grill without sensor pockets. They’ve never worked since fitted. Every time I select reverse, unless indoors or near other physical objects that trigger other sensors, I get the continuous high beep. This is not an issue for me. Car only driven weekends & pressing the sensor button to silence alarm is no issue. The owner who sold me the OEM grill had pockets fitted but still got false readings. Other owners have the pockets fitted & they work perfectly. As some have said they’re not rocket science,I’m sure if they are fitted corectly, they will work. I’m going my grill removed, sensor pockets fitted & correctly painted once I’ve completed all other planned work.

Number Plate

The one piece grill absolutely cleans up the front end & I was never going to plonk a number plate back on it. The stickered number isn’t everyone’s cup of tea but plenty of traffic officers have seen it & car just passed MOT through a Jaguar main dealer. Unless you’ve got daft spacing or are trying to spell out a name etc. I don’t think it will ever be an issue.

Overall

I had planned this mod as soon as I knew I wanted an F-Type. The bumper bar is only there to fix a plate to it & house parking sensors. Only my opinion but it’s the most visually dramatic change you could make to your car, aside a bubble gum pink wrap. No, it doesn’t make it faster but aesthetically, it sooooo works 👍
White 2014 V6 Coupe
OEM P7 Grill
VAP Lowering Springs
VAP 200 Cell Cats & Downpipes
VAP Pulley & Stage II 453 BHP Remap
Vorsteiner 21” V-FF 103 Alloys
PB Brakes 8/6 Pot Drilled Big Brake Kit

powerhouse

Post by powerhouse »

so which grill have you fitted and have you the paramount or P7 maybe for sale
Caledra Red 2018 2.0 R Dynamic
Black Pack
Project 7 Grill
Eibach Lowering Springs
Judd Model One 21" Rims
305/25/21 rears 265/30/21 fronts
Maxton design rear lip spoiler & rear diffuser splitters
Rear box delete, twin straight pipes fitted
DaddyDarren

Post by DaddyDarren »

I’ve got the Paramount one fitted. The OEM P7 one I sold to another forum member. It had a better paint job & the sensor pockets fitted but I wouldn’t go overboard trying to get one over the Paramount. Just get it painted/fitted by a good body shop.

With same standard of paint & pocket sensors you’d be doing well to tell them apart.

Any joy with obtaining one?
White 2014 V6 Coupe
OEM P7 Grill
VAP Lowering Springs
powerhouse

Post by powerhouse »

The Paramount grille retails at £380, which is cheaper than the OEM part. Have read on some other forums that the quality is not that great , that the grille is a bit roughly finished and the surround a bit flimsy, seems you have not encountered this.

https://www.paramount-performance.com/O ... dator.html
Black Pack
Project 7 Grill
Eibach Lowering Springs
Judd Model One 21" Rims
powerhouse

Post by powerhouse »

Got a price for the OEM grille and surround from my dealer for €415/£363 shipped to me, the paramount is £380/€434 without shipping. The OEM part is cheaper than paramount, interesting. OEM part it is. Im lucky i have no front sensors to worry about, holding back on buying due to thinking of the work needed to remove the front bumper, anyone with a step to step review.
Black Pack
Project 7 Grill
Eibach Lowering Springs
Judd Model One 21" Rims
Aitch

Post by Aitch »

The front bumper is quite straightforward but you need to raise the car to access the underside for removal of the undertrays.

You also need at least two people to manhandle the bumper. Before the bumper can be separated, the are a number of electrical plugs and sockets to separate.

The pedestrian impact sensors are not a straight swap, I don't know if they exist on the P7 but you need to make a couple of brackets to mount the middle two sensors.

The whole job takes about a half day at a steady pace with no prior knowledge lots of info with useful pics on the US Jaguar site, where there's also info on 3D printed parking sensor holders.

Just a last thought, there is no provision in the P7 grill for the towing eye.
DaddyDarren

Post by DaddyDarren »

Aitch wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 11:43 pm The front bumper is quite straightforward but you need to raise the car to access the underside for removal of the undertrays.

You also need at least two people to manhandle the bumper. Before the bumper can be separated, the are a number of electrical plugs and sockets to separate.

The pedestrian impact sensors are not a straight swap, I don't know if they exist on the P7 but you need to make a couple of brackets to mount the middle two sensors.

The whole job takes about a half day at a steady pace with no prior knowledge lots of info with useful pics on the US Jaguar site, where there's also info on 3D printed parking sensor holders.

Hello Aitch,

Did you get it fitted then? Pictures please if so!
White 2014 V6 Coupe
OEM P7 Grill
VAP Lowering Springs
powerhouse

Post by powerhouse »

Aitch wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 11:43 pm The front bumper is quite straightforward but you need to raise the car to access the underside for removal of the undertrays.

The pedestrian impact sensors are not a straight swap, sounds like more work, ive no front parking sensors to worry about
Black Pack
Project 7 Grill
Eibach Lowering Springs
Judd Model One 21" Rims
Aitch

Post by Aitch »

The pedestrian sensor brackets are just two small pieces of Ali plate/sheet with a couple of small holes. One hole locates on a small plastic pin and the other is for the fixing screw.

Darren, it looks pretty much like yours by with a different no. Plate and not so clean 😁
DaddyDarren

Post by DaddyDarren »

Aitch wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 10:07 pm The pedestrian sensor brackets are just two small pieces of Ali plate/sheet with a couple of small holes. One hole locates on a small plastic pin and the other is for the fixing screw.

Darren, it looks pretty much like yours by with a different no. Plate and not so clean 😁
Looks good then 😁 Are you pleased with result?
White 2014 V6 Coupe
OEM P7 Grill
VAP Lowering Springs

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post