A few questions...

Anything F-Type related......
tjs

Post by tjs »

Thanks all. Thought as much re the seats. I knew they must have been wrong...

Cost to go to the black pack is a bit more than I thought, and just generally does seem best to wait for one with the right spec I guess! Though if that is the only thing wrong with a car I find, good to know it's an option.

As for the dealer just wanting my money, it doesn't even seem like they want that. As soon as I mentioned "used car" and "not buying for at least a few months" they've not really wanted to talk to me at all. :x

Fez

Post by Fez »

It makes laugh dealers not taking you seriously. It happens all the time. On day of pick up I walked round my car for over 15mins then had to say in a loud voice (twice) does anyone want to take my money (80k) before I drive this car way. Salesman approached and said are you Mr xxx, which I replied yes, he replied you are not what I was expecting!!!! I was wearing jeans and t shirt and drinking a costa coffee .......lol
Black AWD 400, sport
MY 18.5
Pan Roof
Heated front screen
Front parking sensors
Full spare
cj10jeeper

Post by cj10jeeper »

Fez wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 8:39 pm It makes laugh dealers not taking you seriously. It happens all the time. On day of pick up I walked round my car for over 15mins then had to say in a loud voice (twice) does anyone want to take my money (80k) before I drive this car way. Salesman approached and said are you Mr xxx, which I replied yes, he replied you are not what I was expecting!!!! I was wearing jeans and t shirt and drinking a costa coffee .......lol
You think you struggled. My 25yr old daughter takes delivery of her new ePace on Friday. Dealer seemed unable to string a sentence together to her and kept asking me what I wanted...
2014 MY 3.0 V6S Roadster
Subtle enhancements to create the car I wanted from SVR nose cone, 400 series side skirts & customised 'design' rear bumper, to heated SVR steering wheel and more
tjs

Post by tjs »

Yeah, probably didn't help I was in shorts and t-shirt, but it's been boiling and I'm not dressing up nice to go and see a car. Wandered around for 20 minutes before I could flag down a salesperson, who couldn't get away quick enough. Wasn't able to find another person after that, so just had to go home and email my questions to them (about seat, retrofit, etc.).
dezzy

Post by dezzy »

Don't worry about the reversing camera. I've had cars with far worse rear visibility. It's fine with parking sensors. I can reverse the rather portly rear end of the F-Type into my not so wide garage with only sensors and it's absolutely fine.
V6 coupe, Ultimate Black, 19" propellor wheels, suede cloth performance seats, interior black pack, suede cloth headlining, flat bottom steering wheel, heated seats, power tailgate
01286p

Post by 01286p »

I am 6ft 2" . My car V6s with panoramic roof , fully adjustable seats and fold away spoiler, never a problem with seat height, except for my wife and 5ft 1" who prefers to use a cushion to raise her up.
The panoramic roof is useful to see the traffic lights as well as making for a very airy cabin.
I would not bother with Ceramic Brakes as not only expensive but the normal large ones seem to work very well.The joy of having paddle shifted gearbox actually means that in reality one hardly needs to use the brakes anyway.
Heated steering wheel a joy in the winter.
Must haves are reversing camera and parking sensors, heated front screen.
tjs

Post by tjs »

Thanks all. After struggling to get a test drive from a dealer I went along to one of those "supercar experience" things. Hardly a test drive, but for the sake of £40 got to try out the car... (V8 AWD, R Coupe)

Initial impressions:

• I fit in the car without issue. The instructor I had to share the car with was a bit confused why I was more interested in how you adjust the seats than actually driving it... But plenty of headroom, and adjustable. No surprise the dealer was wrong about that...
  • Exhaust (V8 AWD) was quieter than I was expecting. Not sure if it had the switchable exhaust valves.
  • Surprisingly snug for such a large car. I'm currently daily driving my MX5 track car, which is a physically much smaller car, and that feels more spacious inside. Not a bad thing, just surprising. The actual interior was stunning though. :)
  • Throttle travel felt a bit weird. First third(ish) of the travel resulted in only a small amount of throttle opening, and then it felt like a millimetre more, you got everything. Quite difficult to be smooth, but then again I only had a few minutes in the car, could easily get used to that.
  • Steering feel felt pretty non-existent. Plenty of grip, but found it difficult to really feel much of anything. Could probably get used to it. Guessing it's because it's electrically assisted rather than hydraulic. I think I've just been spoiled driving MX5s for years, in terms of steering feel anyway. I think the F Type wins out on everything else. :D
  • Gear changes felt very slow, especially on downshifts. Pull the paddle, wait, wonder why it hasn't changed yet, and then it changes. I have no idea what mode it was in, or if that makes a difference. Could get used to that, but a little disappointing.
A few things for me to think about, anyway. Overall, love it and still want one, but I was a bit surprised by the steering feel and slow shifts, which I know would really bother me. I'm not in a position to buy one just yet, but I may look at renting one for a day (or getting an extended test drive, though seems a fat chance of that when I can't even get a short test drive!) before actually buying one, just to get a better idea of how much of an issue it is for me.
Backfire

Post by Backfire »

No experience of the V8, but a couple of observations. My V6 has standard (early) style seats uprated to full memory electric and full leather, I'm 6'1" and no problems. On your experience drive, could the exhaust have been doctored to meet stringent circuit noise limits? (often stricter than legal road), and to get quick gear changes the car needs to be in Dynamic or else the car will override your inputs at times.
2017MY F Type Coupe, Caldera Red, 19 Centrifuges, Pan Roof, Leather memory heated seats, Parking pack. Also 1957 XK150 FHC.
Arne

Post by Arne »

Regarding throttle travel and gear changes, I can't say it sounds no where near how I experience the same in my car - no matter which mode the car is in (except maybe in snow/ice mode, where throttle response is "slow" for the first 1/3 of the travel)?

I have a very linear throttle respons and gear changes are the quickest one I have ever experienced with an autobox. Very close to a dual clutch auto, but with far smoother gear changes, specially when "city driving".

Mine is an "older" MY15 model though, but I don't think there has been any major changes on these issues on newer models?
F-type R Coupe IRR 2015 - rwd V8
ajbh

Post by ajbh »

I think it was in d not s,in sport its quick up and down. I think that was yor steering problem too - we came out of a 200sx and find the feel fine - that said mine is a v6s, i did find the v8 felt oddly not as responsive when we tried it.... Jess

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post