How to get the most from a V6S Test Drive

Anything F-Type related......
Gom Jabbar

Post by Gom Jabbar »

Play with all the beautiful noises it makes - you’ll be hooked after that! Auto and sport mode up to 4K revs and letting it drop back makes a lovely burble with no effort needed from the driver!
2018 F-Type SVR in Caldera Red with a huge amount of toys yet to be explored!

scz4

Post by scz4 »

Finally, it's almost the day, collecting the Avis hire F type tomorrow at 4pm for 24 hours.. Weather looks spectacular too up here in Scotland,, genuinely not been this excited about a "test drive" for years 8-) 8-) 8-)

Will report back.
scz4

Post by scz4 »

Unfortunately, that's the F Type back with Avis :( :( What a 24 hours!! 450 miles clocked up and I'm absolutely smitten with the F Type.

Upon arrival I was told that there a problem with the booking, I instantly felt sick, only to be told they didn't have the V6 and I'd have make do with 2018 V8 R. Normally I welcome any car upgrade, but this I wasn't sure about. I was never planning on test driving the V8, always had my heart set on the V6S as I'm a believer in less is more and to be quite honest the V8 power is "wasted" on the Scottish roads up. Anyway, didn't have a choice, so just had to get on with it! :) :)

Negatives (I’ll get these out the way)
- Seats are not all that supportive, but are very comfortable. I think they’re the same seats as you get in the 400 Sport, not sure if they’re optional or not.
- Cruising at 80mph feels like 50mph
- Entertainment and touch screen is a faff. Much prefer an iDrive type setup. Also the screen is very difficult to read with the roof down and sun shining.
- Not a fan of the alacntara interior, but that’s just spec.
- Meridian Sounds system is decent, but given it’s a payable option I wasn’t blown away.
- Ride is firm, but acceptable for this type of car. It did get little jiggly at times on the worst single track roads, but we’re talking 10 miles out of 450.
- Sun visors are tiny! Lol
- Prefer the look of the V6 exhausts
- Not much engine\induction noise
- Can feel it’s weight on slow first gear corners.

Positives:
- Looks clearly! This is what attracted me to the F type first and foremost, I don’t think I need to add any justification on this point. Although I’m not a fan of black cars, would never buy one. But it’s clearly a head turner, got a lot of attention, folk walking up to it when it was parked, kids giving thumbs up etc.
- I’ve been in some fast cars, even a few older supercars (Gallardo, 360CS etc, but WOW!!!! So much grunt, relentless acceleration
- The noise… even more impressive than the performance! No idea how a car is allowed to leave a factory in this nanny state sounding like that, sensational. The noises you can get it to make are unbelievable, especially up against a dry stone dyke, tunnel or in town. Certainly wouldn’t need an aftermarket exhaust, which is usually something I do. Louder blips when changing down would be my only slight criticism.
- ZF box is very responsive, not need for dual clutch here. Drove 90% in manual mode. Really enjoyed using the paddles.
- Makes you feel very very special. A junior\affordable supercar.
- Handling is better than I expected for a big car, it was a slight concern I’ll be honest, but not now.
- Averaged 22mpg which is actually quite respectable give how it was driven.
- Love the V8 side skirts, really adds depth to the side of the car
- Steering wheel is very nice, didn't feel too big which I read in a few reviews.

So what next? I really need to try the V6 and make a decision what I want for my 40th. Hope I’m not disappointed after driving the V8. But the F type feels so much more special than the Boxster in every way. Always entertaining whether cruising or blasting, just has soooooo much character.

Lunar

Post by Lunar »

Nice front number plate fly collection.

Always the sign of a good drive! :D
MY14 "S" badged V6 Convertible in Lunar Grey metallic
Performance seats, Meridian, heated flat bottom wheel with aluminium paddles, heated front screen, cruise, dual zone climate, switchable active exhaust
Elementad

Post by Elementad »

Sounds like you had fun.
I had a V6S convertible before my current R AWD coupe. I don’t think you’ll be disappointed with it if you test drive one after the R. The noise of the V6S is equally as good as the V8 albeit just different. It spits, crackles and pops just as easily as the V8 (probably more so actually) and speed wise it absolutely feels quick enough and it will start to step out even with traction control left on. Damn good car.
The acceleration of the R is savage and the noise of a V8 needs no explanation. You perhaps have tested them in the wrong order but I still think you like the V6S.
F Type R AWD coupe
(Previous car) F Type V6S convertible
scz4

Post by scz4 »

Can't wait to try the V6S. I definitely think it'll be a good middle ground. I also heard a few reviews mentioning you get a lot more induction\engine noise, which was one of my minor complaints of the V8.

I've asked Avis to contact me next time they have a V6 available.
cj10jeeper

Post by cj10jeeper »

scz4 wrote: Sun Jul 01, 2018 2:20 pm Can't wait to try the V6S. I definitely think it'll be a good middle ground. I also heard a few reviews mentioning you get a lot more induction\engine noise, which was one of my minor complaints of the V8.

I've asked Avis to contact me next time they have a V6 available.
I think you’ll prefer it with your Z4M and S2000 heritage if you can get the S version with its LSD. Less raw power for straight line grunt, but a more rewarding experience on drivers roads. I prefer to have to work the car a little for fun while keeping my licence.
Whatever you opt for I’m sure you enjoy it.
Look forward to seeing your comparative views
2014 MY 3.0 V6S Roadster
Subtle enhancements to create the car I wanted from SVR nose cone, 400 series side skirts & customised 'design' rear bumper, to heated SVR steering wheel and more
Boostfan

Post by Boostfan »

You will love the V6S. I have had mine for nearly a year & feel special every time I climb in it. The Wife took it to work this morning as I needed the Focus today. I watched her fire it up & take it off the drive & it just makes me smile, it just sounds & looks glorious.
Get one with the Pan roof, perf seats, styling/Black pack - its all about the spec. Here is mine.

IMG_0111.jpg

White MK3 Focus RS.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post