How to get the most from a V6S Test Drive

Anything F-Type related......
scz4

Post by scz4 »

Hi guys,

With a big birthday approaching, always promised I'd buy myself something special to kick off the midlife crisis. I've had a lot of great drivers cars, but never a proper sexy looking motor, hence considering the F Type convertible. Already test drove the Z4 35is (not great) and 981 Boxster S (great, but not as exciting as I was hoping)

So I have a V6S on hire for Avis for the day at the end of the month. A 10 miles test drive with a dealer just doesn't work for me. Need to let these cars get under your skin. So I'm planning a 400 miles road trip over 24 hours, including an east to west coast of Scotland blast and back.

Coming from a BMW Z4M and currently a Honda S2000, which has no gadgets, no different driving modes, adaptive suspension, exhaust settings, flappy paddles etc, these are all a bit alien to me. What mode should I try for the test drive for and how to I engage the different settings? It'll all be bumpy, mountainous A or B class roads, so perhaps firmest isn't necessarily the best??

Anything else to consider, other than checking it fits in the garage :)

G
Last edited by scz4 on Thu Jun 07, 2018 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

davidd

Post by davidd »

Morning,

You have enough miles to try all the modes.

I'd drive the first couple of minutes in full auto/normal while you get to know the car a bit, size etc then open the exhaust and move the stick left and drive with paddles, then stick it in dynamic and leave it there for the next 399 miles ;)

Then buy a V8

D
scz4

Post by scz4 »

Thanks for the info. Really looking forward to it.

Do all cars come with Bluetooth audio streaming? I suspect the Avis car will be basic spec with no options.

V8 nah! Think I'll stick with the V6S :) Prefer more time on the throttle, rather than the brakes :) One thing I've learnt of the years is "less is more" when up in the hills! Also prefer the back-end.
davidd

Post by davidd »

I can appreciate the back end, the v6 is epic and the car will be brilliant.

I think they all come with Bluetooth.

Be prepared to feel a little remote coming from your M and s2000.
scz4

Post by scz4 »

Thanks David.

I guess I'm looking for something a little more grown up just now, so accept it will be a trade-off. But the noise, road presence and that special feeling (I hope) will more than make-up for it I'm sure :)

That said, the S2000 is a keeper! I made the mistake of selling it back in 2013, but was fortunate to buy the same car back 18 months ago. I won't make that mistake again. They'll be nothing like it in 20 years.

Oh one last question. Other than steering feel, is it easy to identify under the bonnet if the car has hydraulic or electric steering?
davidd

Post by davidd »

Sorry I can't help you on that one... The steering feel is ok, just not quite as connected.
jimbobc

Post by jimbobc »

scz4 wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 2:01 pm Thanks for the info. Really looking forward to it.

Do all cars come with Bluetooth audio streaming? I suspect the Avis car will be basic spec with no options.

V8 nah! Think I'll stick with the V6S :) Prefer more time on the throttle, rather than the brakes :) One thing I've learnt of the years is "less is more" when up in the hills! Also prefer the back-end.
I hired through Avid for a weekend before I bought and the car was a Jaguar fleet card and AWD. It was very high spec and even had a carbon fibre roof. Enjoy!
2014 F-Type V6S Coupe Italian Racing Red with carbon blades
cj10jeeper

Post by cj10jeeper »

I came from a 3.0 Z4
It’s a very different drive to the Z4. Much more torque and less revs needed. Deceptively quick in S guise. I’m fact the Z4 guys grew to respect it when we crossed the Lakes and Yorks Moors :)
Understand skipping the later Z and Porsche. I did the same
Best performance is shift to the left pull and hold the selector for dynamic and open the exhaust if you have the button. From them drive in paddles until you need some peace on motorways
As above spend a few miles learning first..
Close the exhaust in villages - it’s loud

Most important point from my learning is it’s a wider car than the Z...

Enjoy :)
Last edited by cj10jeeper on Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
2014 MY 3.0 V6S Roadster
Subtle enhancements to create the car I wanted from SVR nose cone, 400 series side skirts & customised 'design' rear bumper, to heated SVR steering wheel and more
Lunar

Post by Lunar »

Mine’s a 14 plate so fluid hydraulic steering, but coming from an XE I know the electric setup is supposed to be just as good.
Top converts in 12 secs too, which is great if you just pause at a junction.
Standard brakes are fine, but performance seats are sooo good - down in Tuscany as I write and long hours at a desk mean I have a sensitive back.
For me the switchable active exhaust was another must have, to be able to get smiles as you pop and fart at low speed too.
It does feel quite a wide car if you come from an S2000 but nicely driver focused.
At anything above -5 c and no rain I’m topless, sport, dynamic, and paddles - and with a big stupid grin a year in!
Recommend Tesco Momentum 99 for the best sounds ;)
Enjoy your day! 😎
MY14 "S" badged V6 Convertible in Lunar Grey metallic
Performance seats, Meridian, heated flat bottom wheel with aluminium paddles, heated front screen, cruise, dual zone climate, switchable active exhaust
Elementad

Post by Elementad »

I had an S2000 nearly 10 years ago. Great cars. I think you’ll find the FType more predictable when the back steps out because it will do it a lot easier at lower speeds than the S2000 because of both power and torque. The back on the V6S will twitch with traction control turned on but feels extremely well balanced to me.
As others have said, enjoy the test drive using the paddles in sports mode with dynamic switched on. You won’t miss the manual gear stick I promise.
F Type R AWD coupe
(Previous car) F Type V6S convertible

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post