Major failure - advice

Anything F-Type related......
Adam9618

Post by Adam9618 »

Hi all

Never been on a forum but time for a change.
Got a 2013 F-type 3.00 V6 purchased through a main dealer about 9 weeks ago. Covered about 1500 miles at most and yesterday was happily driving as something went badly wrong.
Loud bang, total loss of power and lots and lots of white and blue smoke with an awful smell. Absolutely no compression.
Obviously I got recovered and got it back to the dealer but no news on what it is yet but getting the hint by the lead mechanic she has sadly decided she doesn’t want to be a car any more.
Does anyone have any thoughts on what this could be? Supercharger? Pistons?

Any thoughts welcome

Adam

Zyp

Post by Zyp »

Can’t help with what’s gone wrong, but hopefully as you purchased from a main dealer you’ll have the warranty..?
IRR V8R
Adam9618

Post by Adam9618 »

Yes thank you got a warranty but always like to have an idea. I actually think it’s time for a new engine
cj10jeeper

Post by cj10jeeper »

Under consumer law the fault would be deemed pre-existing at this length of ownership
I’d take it back and start again and not waste time and at best get a car with a new motor or rebuild
2014 MY 3.0 V6S Roadster
Subtle enhancements to create the car I wanted from SVR nose cone, 400 series side skirts & customised 'design' rear bumper, to heated SVR steering wheel and more
Deleted User 1794

Post by Deleted User 1794 »

Definitely try and reject the car, i had a very nasty experience with a 911 c4s, that uncovered it needed a complete engine rebuild after i had done only 500 odd miles.

Dealer agreed and gave full refund. Used the money to buy my new to me F Type.
Adam9618

Post by Adam9618 »

Thanks all for advice
The dealer is being rather creepy sweet at the moment as I bought the f type and a new evoque at the same time so want the business I think.
Just so gutted this happened and wondered if anyone else out there has experienced this sadness with there’s. couldn’t find anything on net about ftypes and this problem.
Gibbo

Post by Gibbo »

Definetely an extreme failure, blue/white smoke is certainly an engine failure of sorts, especially the fact you say loud bang suggest the engine dropped a piston/cylinder and the resulting white/blue smoke was piston blow by on an extreme level.

As its a matter of weeks into ownership, simply express you want a refund or a swap into another car and that you have absolutely zero interest in a repair that will no doubt take weeks.

If they really insist on repair, you need to claim for compensation if it takes any longer than two weeks to repair the car to a satisfactory standard. I'd lay the law down pretty quick with them to be honest, be polite and calm but make it clear you expect refund/replacement car and if they do repair this car you expect it done in a reasonable amount of time and to have a further extended warranty.
ndabunka

Post by ndabunka »

A few others have seen some oil starvation issues. Did you ever check the oil levels?
If you don't make a choice, the choice makes YOU!
ndabunka

Post by ndabunka »

Gibbo wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:10 pm Definetely an extreme failure, blue/white smoke is certainly an engine failure of sorts, especially the fact you say loud bang suggest the engine dropped a piston/cylinder and the resulting white/blue smoke was piston blow by on an extreme level.

As its a matter of weeks into ownership, simply express you want a refund or a swap into another car and that you have absolutely zero interest in a repair that will no doubt take weeks.

If they really insist on repair, you need to claim for compensation if it takes any longer than two weeks to repair the car to a satisfactory standard. I'd lay the law down pretty quick with them to be honest, be polite and calm but make it clear you expect refund/replacement car and if they do repair this car you expect it done in a reasonable amount of time and to have a further extended warranty.
Stuff like this is rarely an option for a US-based vehicle but I think there are greater protections over seas. Any idea if the OP is in the UK or some other country?
If you don't make a choice, the choice makes YOU!
Adam9618

Post by Adam9618 »

Hi all
I had been checking the oil weekly and had done it that day and showed 3/4 so all good there.
Had an update from garage that number 4 piston had hit a spark plug crushing it. Looks like a new engine.
Down side is now in dispute as they say there warrenty only covers 4K per claim which I do not accept.
I am in the uk by the way.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post