Is the F-Type a great racer?

Anything F-Type related......
East winger

Post by East winger »

Having owned the F-Type for almost 3 years I do have an opinion on this. If you are looking for a beautiful car with great street presence and you have the money, the F-Type is a fantastic car. It puts a smile on my face every time I drive it. It’s one I’m proud to own.

However, if you are looking for a car to throw into corners and power out the other side, then I suggest you look elsewhere and cheaper. The regular list of hot hatches will give you all of that and you will feel more planted on the road. I have driven two previous hot hatches will more commitment than I do the F-Type. This beautiful lady is a GT, not a Rally Car. One car can’t be all things to all people.

Think about what you are looking for before you buy. I don’t regret buying the F-Type - I love it, but the hot hatches were fun when pushing down a country lane.

To answer my own question; No.
Italian Racing Red Coupe S AWD + big smile

davidd

Post by davidd »

Did it take you three years to realise that?
cj10jeeper

Post by cj10jeeper »

But this is the same for any RWD car. You’ll struggle to beat a 1.x diesel hatch through a normal twisty road unless you seriously drive it
In the hands of an expert (which I’m not) the F type will leave them for dead
If you want low value performance then just buy a VX220
For me it’s the right balance of performance, looks and luxury, while being reassuringly impractical:)
2014 MY 3.0 V6S Roadster
Subtle enhancements to create the car I wanted from SVR nose cone, 400 series side skirts & customised 'design' rear bumper, to heated SVR steering wheel and more
basher

Post by basher »

It's more than sporty enough for me.
It's my daily, and when I want it to be a bit of a beast, it can be (within the constraints of my driving ability).

The noise is intoxicating, and brings much more pleasure to me than the raw speed and handling.

And I find it extremely practical.
I have a long history of owning estates & hatchbacks, and this is my first 2 seater.
The boot is impressive and easily accommodated luggage (plus other bits) for 2 of us for a 1 week holiday.

:mrgreen:
Rhodium silver F-Type 400 Sport AWD coupe.

PB Brakes big brake kit: drilled & slotted rotors, big yellow calipers. 😁
davidd

Post by davidd »

They are just a bit lardy, and the suspension is a little soft. I can make good progress in mine though ;)
Timbo

Post by Timbo »

286 posts and you've now said this....is your name v8s.....
Firesand Coupe R
Vossen HF-3 Satin Bronze
SVR Rear Spoiler
H&R springs
Oem Project 7 grill
VAP tune, upper and lower pulleys,
200 cell cats, induction kit.
Supersprint cat back valved back box
Loud, very loud lol
650-660 bhp
Aitch

Post by Aitch »

I'm sure I'm more committed throwing a four figure, hot hatch through the twisties than a five figure, thing of beauty but just wait for the straight bit and you'll pi$$ past anyway.

Didn't I hear somewhere that there's to be an F Type race series with Billy Monger in a David Appleby prepped car. That should answer the op's question quite conclusively.
East winger

Post by East winger »

I obviously touched a nerve. People are sensitive these days :D Just trying to add my input to help buyers. Oops. that's 287 posts!
Italian Racing Red Coupe S AWD + big smile
davidd

Post by davidd »

I'm not sure anyone would think the ftype is a racer though. I know it was intended to be a competitor to the 911 but handling wise they need to rethink. I would expect most folks buying one would know what to expect, especially if they bothered to take one for a test drive.

Oddly enough the saleswoman at Marshalls in Cambridge who let me out in a v6 and v8 was surprised when I put them both in sport/dynamic and drove them on paddles. She claimed most people who test drove them left them in full auto. Clearly not the demographic on here but an indicator perhaps of the majority of buyers.

D
mickjaguar

Post by mickjaguar »

I've read the same conclusions in many of car reviews. The Porsche's are always recognized as having the edge when it comes to driving dynamics. However, the review conclusion often goes either way in terms of final recommendation, with some reviewers just falling for the looks, noise and drama of the F type in preference to the clinical precision of the Porsche. I guess it depends on what kind of 'fun' you're looking for.
2019 SVR Coupe, Velocity Blue
Previous 2015 V6 340 Coupe IRR

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post