Exhuast Squeak

Anything F-Type related......
jagRoar

Post by jagRoar »

I used copper grease that you would use on brakes applied with a finger! Stopped the squeak and has not returned 4+ months.

shatnersbassoon

Post by shatnersbassoon »

jagRoar wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:49 am I used copper grease that you would use on brakes applied with a finger! Stopped the squeak and has not returned 4+ months.
Where did you apply the grease, was this with the exhaust in place or did you need to get to the internals?
MY18 V8R AWD
jagRoar

Post by jagRoar »

Was applied externally to the rods on the flap actuators. You can easily push the rods in and they spring out to cover the whole length. Very easy to access on V8, not sure about other models. It actually still squeaked a little to begin with but worked its way in after a couple of drives the squeak was gone
Deleted User 1254

Post by Deleted User 1254 »

After getting fed up of applying copper gease to mine every couple of months, I've just had the rear box changed on my R - back to normal now!
M21ENO

Post by M21ENO »

Tel you are mine of very useful info. Your post helped me diagnosis and address this issue on my car. If I ever meet you I think I must owe you a beer!
F-Type V6S RWD Convertible
Salsa Red - Cirrus - Orbit
steviegtr

Post by steviegtr »

I think some of you think it is the vac operated rod that is the problem. It is not that as Tel has pointed out, it is the actual butterfly flap valve inside the exhaust pipe. It is the 2 pivots that seize, actually the same as my Ducati multistrada system. The copper slip needs spraying into these 2 pivot points to lubricate. These get very hot from the exhaust gasses & seize. The copper slip is good for over 2000 degrees heat. WD40 nil. Or you could just disconnect them & jam the butterflies open & be naughty all the time. You know you want to.
2017 f type 5.0 R AWD Glacier Pearl white Cabriolet
Sports seats 14way. Powerfold mirrors, Keyless. Hp Brakes, Split rims,
Heated screen. Meridian 380w.
Tel

Post by Tel »

M21ENO wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 10:46 pm Tel you are mine of very useful info. Your post helped me diagnosis and address this issue on my car. If I ever meet you I think I must owe you a beer!
I'll take that - Thank you!
2016MY V8R IRR
ITG Maxogen Cold air intake kit
Billet OBD lock
Forged lightweight Blades
Full custom Xpel Ultimate PPF wrap
Piano Black badges
17mm MST Hubcentrics
Smarttop remote
Black exhaust tips
Porterfield RS-4 Carbon Kevlar pads
Mich PS4S's
+ more 💩
goodfodder

Post by goodfodder »

Would have thought graphite lock lub would be a good solution as it’s dry and won’t burn off.
Oil, Grease will attract dirt thus possibly cause more harm than good?
RPSN

Post by RPSN »

I haven’t had any issues with the exhaust ‘butterfly’ valves on my car and they are working normally at the moment but after reading this topic I can see that the 3-In-One copper grease spray has been recommended to help prevent the exhaust valves from squeaking or becoming stuck. I’ve got a glass jar full of copper grease in my garden shed and used it on numerous jobs.....it’s really good stuff.

When I was in my local Lidl supermarket the other day, I picked up some Graphite Oil spray which is a lubricant and corrosion protection. The information on the reverse of the spray can says:

Silicone free / Pressure resistant / Penetrates deeply / Lubricates, protects and maintains / Eliminates squeaking and creaking noises / Universally usable oil for lubrication / Metal parts and metal connections are protected from corrosion / Does not become sticky.

Does anyone think this Graphite Oil spray would also be suitable to help free-up and lubricate the exhaust valves if they ever start squeaking or become stuck?

TIA

1.JPG

2.JPG

Last edited by RPSN on Fri Oct 23, 2020 8:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
2016MY V6S Coupe RWD Auto 380PS Supercharged
Rhodium Silver
Panoramic Glass Roof
Sports Seats (heated) in Jet Leather
Seat Memory Pack 2 (14x14 way)
Powered Tailgate (open & close)
Reverse Park Camera with Guidance
Front Parking Aid
Deleted User 1715

Post by Deleted User 1715 »

I would be wary of graphite grease unless it specifically says it’s ok for high temperatures. You can get spray copper grease quite cheaply from screwfix and it states it’s an anti seize for exhausts and suitable for temperatures up to 1100 deg.

image.jpg