Is AWD vital?

Anything F-Type related......
SJD9990

Post by SJD9990 »

Thank you V8FTW.

Assuming you are not a retired RallyX champ I think those are the words I wanted to hear!

Arne

Post by Arne »

I have had my rwd R for 3 years now, and never felt it has too much power for a rwd car.
Yes - it can struggle for traction if you floor it in 1. or 2. gear from standstill, but why is that consider a "problem"? If you don't like that, don't floor it from standstill... Or floor it and have some fun, if you like it.
More important is that all that power is fully available from 20-30 mph, if and when you need it.
Yes - you need to modulate your throttle out of curves more than you need on an awd, but awd don't give you more sideways grip in a curve. Awd adds 150 lbs of weight and the F-type is heavy enough as it is.
For everyday use in winter time the awd do have a good advantage in traction when taking off and going up hills in very slippery conditions. But it does not stop any quicker. Good winter tires are much more important in real winter conditions, as a rwd with good winter tires will manage much better than an awd with summer tires.
The snow/ice mode can be usefull when the weather is bad, but after getting to know the car well, I don't really feel the need for using it any more. It is an easy car to drive in any conditions, as long as you respect the power you have available.
The esp also works well, and is there to help you if you push it a bit too far. Just don't turn it off if you are not really ready for it. And most drivers are not ;)
F-type R Coupe IRR 2015 - rwd V8
SJD9990

Post by SJD9990 »

Thanks Arne. Great advice.
Tel

Post by Tel »

Have been lucky in that I have driven both AWD and RWD R's and have settled on the RWD R.
Have also driven a RWD V8S right through the British Winter.

I wanted a drivers car, and that's what you get with RWD. If you want an offroader, that's where 4 x 4 should be used ;-)

The AWD R is fun, but tame and even more heavy than a 'sports car' should be.

I can't comment on the V6 AWD as I haven't had the time to evaluate one, but given the lower HP, plus the extra weight, can only mean it's heading away from being a sports car.

Buy a RWD, take part in a couple of track days, and you will soon see that the scaremongery that seems to accompany the RWD is all a load of tosh.
As an addendum, the R also has the electronically controlled LS diff, plus Torque Vectoring by braking. With all the 'nannies' turned on, you cannot get it to put a foot wrong.
Last edited by Tel on Thu Aug 30, 2018 12:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
2016MY V8R IRR
ITG Maxogen Cold air intake kit
Billet OBD lock
Forged lightweight Blades
Full custom Xpel Ultimate PPF wrap
Piano Black badges
17mm MST Hubcentrics
Smarttop remote
Black exhaust tips
Porterfield RS-4 Carbon Kevlar pads
Mich PS4S's
+ more 💩
SJD9990

Post by SJD9990 »

Many thanks Tel. Very reassuring. R RWD here I come...
scm

Post by scm »

Arne wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:28 pm I have had my rwd R for 3 years now, and never felt it has too much power ...
Is there such a thing as "too much power"? :lol:
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
Lunar

Post by Lunar »

As some of you may know, there is a technical explanation regarding the interaction between traction and horsepower...

Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car
Oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car
Horsepower is how fast you're going when you hit the wall
And torque is how far you take the wall with you.

Simples! :)

...oh, and of course, 2 litres is a fizzy drink bottle, not an engine size ;)
MY14 "S" badged V6 Convertible in Lunar Grey metallic
Performance seats, Meridian, heated flat bottom wheel with aluminium paddles, heated front screen, cruise, dual zone climate, switchable active exhaust
Tel

Post by Tel »

↑ That's funny Lunar.
2016MY V8R IRR
ITG Maxogen Cold air intake kit
Billet OBD lock
Forged lightweight Blades
Full custom Xpel Ultimate PPF wrap
Piano Black badges
17mm MST Hubcentrics
Smarttop remote
Black exhaust tips
Porterfield RS-4 Carbon Kevlar pads
Mich PS4S's
+ more 💩
Jatboy

Post by Jatboy »

Seen through glass on youtube had the RWD R. I saw the video when he went on a road trip with a porsche and GTR Merc. It seemed to lose traction everytime he tested acceleration...... I went for an AWD after that.
5.0 RWD R - Polaris
Sold. 5.0 AWD R - Glacier - Stage II
V8FTW

Post by V8FTW »

Jatboy wrote:Seen through glass on youtube had the RWD R. I saw the video when he went on a road trip with a porsche and GTR Merc. It seemed to lose traction everytime he tested acceleration...... I went for an AWD after that.

Your loss

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
F-TYPE R, Carbon Ceramics + Forged Wheels, ALL the Carbon Fibre - Mirrors, Side Power Vents, Bonnet Vents, Front Splitter & Interior Console