Is AWD vital?

Anything F-Type related......
SJD9990

Post by SJD9990 »

Hi all,

Can anyone out there give me some advice.

About to buy. Can afford a used S AWD or R RWD. Really want the R, but bit worried about it being an all year round car given heavy rain and snow/ice in the uk. . I’m a pretty cautious driver, so won’t be going mad, bit is it just too much for every day??

Thanks.

scharlton

Post by scharlton »

Hi SJD
I bought the R as I have always wanted a V8 and the noise is just fantastic.
Yes there's a lot of torque and you can get the back out easily with a heavy right foot but I've rarely been caught out by it and it's always been easily correctly by the normal *lift off the gas* automatic reaction.
I'm no where near a fast driver and feel quite happy using it all year although with caution in the wet and cold. By the way, there's always the wet and snow button!
2014 Coupe 5.0R RWD
White
Herts
basher

Post by basher »

I've got a V6 AWD, and previously had an Audi TTS Quattro.

Personally, I wouldn't be without AWD as I'm sure it's saved me a couple of times when I've been a bit over-enthusiastic on bends! ;)
Traction from standstill will be better than RWD, for those times when you feel like flooring it! :mrgreen:

I don't have much experience of RWD... just 1 test drive in a V6. I found it very skittish. Was a very cold wet day.

In snow, AWD won't "save" you.
Yes, you'll have more traction, but tyres won't work optimally unless you have winter ones on.
And you can't legislate for other drivers and what their cars might be doing in the conditions.

If you're not a particularly fast driver, why a V8, with all that extra power which you may not even use?
Just for the noise? Have you compared the V6 to V8?
Rhodium silver F-Type 400 Sport AWD coupe.

PB Brakes big brake kit: drilled & slotted rotors, big yellow calipers. 😁
Lunar

Post by Lunar »

My opinion - on a V6 of any flavour - no.
I drive quite spiritedly sometimes and have never felt the power being too much for rwd as long as you respect it. Those 295 rear tyres hang on manfully, assuming you’re on PS4 Michelin and not the default Pirelli.
With the SVR I’ve only had a performance test drive on public roads, but appreciated the awd advantage.
I would like an R, but would recommend a back to back drive to see which you feel suits you best.
To get the most out of one awd is probably best, but if you want the same level of excitement at lower speed then rwd would do very nicely I’m sure.
For me I’d rather have a well spec’d nice colour V8 rwd than an awd with lesser personal wow factor.
MY14 "S" badged V6 Convertible in Lunar Grey metallic
Performance seats, Meridian, heated flat bottom wheel with aluminium paddles, heated front screen, cruise, dual zone climate, switchable active exhaust
SJD9990

Post by SJD9990 »

Thanks all for the replies. I tend to agree with the views that an R is a lot more of a car than an S, and not just the sound. I know it’s a lot heavier but I’m not going to be going 10 10ths.

I going to drive 95% of the time very sensibly so as long as heavy rain and some ice is do able, if careful, in a R RWD then that would seem to be the way forwards for me.

Open to any other views and R tips.

Thanks all.

Thanks all.
Elementad

Post by Elementad »

I came from the FType V6S to my current AWD FType R, and would definitely say you don’t need AWD for the V6S (380).
You can easily break traction wet or dry with the V6S but it is very manageable if you do.

I have a friend with an Aston V12S. Similar bhp to the R and it struggles to put power down in anything but bone dry conditions. This was part of the reason I went for the AWD R.

To be honest, I don’t drive quickly often as I prefer enjoying the sound and theatre more, however I HAVE broken traction with the AWD and when it kicks in it makes me glad I opted for it.

No right or wrong, it’s what you feel comfortable with. I don’t think you need AWD for V6S though IMO.
F Type R AWD coupe
(Previous car) F Type V6S convertible
SJD9990

Post by SJD9990 »

Thanks Elenental. Do you think you AWD for the R? Did you try one without? Thanks.,
Elementad

Post by Elementad »

SJD9990 wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 2:45 pm Thanks Elenental. Do you think you AWD for the R? Did you try one without? Thanks.,
To be entirely honest, I didn’t try the standard R because I wanted the AWD.

It wasn’t a question of ‘if I can handle the RWD version’, (my last few cars have all been RWD sports cars), it was more of can I enjoy it without it catching me out on the odd occasion. As much as I’d love to be, I’m not Chris Harris when it comes to getting a car sideways.
Put the power down in the AWD and it just digs in and grips.

Try both the standard R and AWD if you get chance.
F Type R AWD coupe
(Previous car) F Type V6S convertible
simpleR

Post by simpleR »

I would suggest it is purely personal choice, driving style, etc. No wrong or right answer regardless of engine spec.

I was always a FWD or RWD person until I drove and then owned a Golf mk7 R. AWD ever since.
400 Sport AWD - MY18 - Black
V8FTW

Post by V8FTW »

R RWD is absolutely fine in poor weather

The engine has so much torque you can short shift and ride the torque and so still make good progress and not fly off into a hedge.

The RWD really gives the R the character of something special

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
F-TYPE R, Carbon Ceramics + Forged Wheels, ALL the Carbon Fibre - Mirrors, Side Power Vents, Bonnet Vents, Front Splitter & Interior Console