Leaving car for 4 months.

Anything F-Type related......
AL1

Post by AL1 »

I was wondering if anyone had left their car sat for 4 months or so before? I'm away next year, and have two options...

1) SORN the car, leave it sat in a private car park (free to use below my apartment). My insurance is about £1,400 a year, so this would 'save' me about £460 on insurance. There's no plugs in the car park so wouldn't be able to trickle charge, so presumably the battery would be dead when I returned. Also if it was SORNed, and not insured, if someone drove Ito it, or a car next to it caught on fire, I'd be screwed I imagine?

2) Insure a friend, and ask them to take it out for 40 mins once a month or so. Car stays insured, and hopefully friend doesn't drive it into a tree.

Any other options people can think of?

cj10jeeper

Post by cj10jeeper »

Couple of things you can do:

Take the battery off and have it on a smart charger in someone's garage to keep it in good condition. Disconnected and left on the car alone it would also be fine

If you cancel the insurance you may save some (less than you expect, based upon how insurance refunds work), but as you indicate won't be covered unless the car park is your property and may be covered by contents (you'd need to check carefully).
Better is to get laid up insurance. Call your insurer to discuss. I would not leave it in an open park without cover as you risk 000's if stolen or damaged for a small saving
2014 MY 3.0 V6S Roadster
Subtle enhancements to create the car I wanted from SVR nose cone, 400 series side skirts & customised 'design' rear bumper, to heated SVR steering wheel and more
gasgas

Post by gasgas »

how about renting it out while you are away
JurassicF

Post by JurassicF »

I really would not cancel your insurance.
For what you save with insurance companies cancellation policies, the risk is far too great.
You come back after your trip, the cars gone....your out of pocket big time. You can SORN and still keep your insurance active.
Charge your battery up and then just disconnect, should be fine. A nice car cover...sorted.
F-Type V6S convertible MY16
Glacier Pearlescent White
Red soft top
Red electric and heated sports seats
Black dash and door cards
Red belts
Flat bottom heated wheel
markjord

Post by markjord »

cj10jeeper wrote: Fri Aug 31, 2018 12:17 pm Couple of things you can do:

Take the battery off and have it on a smart charger in someone's garage to keep it in good condition. Disconnected and left on the car alone it would also be fine

If you cancel the insurance you may save some (less than you expect, based upon how insurance refunds work), but as you indicate won't be covered unless the car park is your property and may be covered by contents (you'd need to check carefully).
Better is to get laid up insurance. Call your insurer to discuss. I would not leave it in an open park without cover as you risk 000's if stolen or damaged for a small saving
Do you have to disconnect the battery? I always left it connected while the trickle charger was on my M3.
cj10jeeper

Post by cj10jeeper »

markjord wrote: Mon Sep 03, 2018 4:43 pm
cj10jeeper wrote: Fri Aug 31, 2018 12:17 pm Couple of things you can do:

Do you have to disconnect the battery? I always left it connected while the trickle charger was on my M3.
My suggestion was as OP has no electricity where the car is parked, so either disconnect to prevent any drain, or take battery somewhere if he wants to keep it on a charger

I too leave the battery connected when using the CTEK
2014 MY 3.0 V6S Roadster
Subtle enhancements to create the car I wanted from SVR nose cone, 400 series side skirts & customised 'design' rear bumper, to heated SVR steering wheel and more
chicb

Post by chicb »

Use a storage facility for cars while you are away. The car will insured by them & it will be looked after. When you return, it will be good to go, battery up to scratch & all fluids checked. Do not just leave it in a car park as it will soon be obvious by anyone who regularly passes it that it has been sitting for a while. It would be easy to lift it onto a flatbed & drive away as people will assume its off to a garage for some work. Do not cancel the insurance if leaving it in the car park, you may save a couple of hundred but loose many thousands if its gone
F type convertible, (gone)
Range Rover Sport,
S63 AMG Coupe Mercedes
Porsche 911 (992) Carrera 4S
PhilB

Post by PhilB »

AL1 wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 6:08 am One thing I hadn’t considered was bored teenagers who like to hang out in the car park... :@
I've had to edit your original photo Al, due to the obscene language and drawings.
I think people can still get the idea of what was done though.

68C6F2A4-65E5-4B00-A660-45FAECD78590.jpeg

Nick

Post by Nick »

Lucky it will wash off, look at that gold Porsche which was spray painted...
MY15 Coupe V8R Carbon Ceramic Brakes, 20" Anthracite Wheels Panoramic Roof, Meridian 770
DaddyDarren

Post by DaddyDarren »

Really tickled me that Phil 😄
White 2014 V6 Coupe
OEM P7 Grill
VAP Lowering Springs
VAP 200 Cell Cats & Downpipes
VAP Pulley & Stage II 453 BHP Remap
Vorsteiner 21” V-FF 103 Alloys
PB Brakes 8/6 Pot Drilled Big Brake Kit

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies