Using convertible hood storage space for luggage

Anything F-Type related......
Sollita

Post by Sollita »

I surely can’t have been the first to do it, but I need extra luggage space for a twice a year 750 mile journey to and from our French place. Has anyone else on here used the same method as I describe below?
I investigated the hood storage space. It seemed fairly robust though it has gaps either side. So I threaded an empty big unstructured hold-all between the headrests (having first removed the wind deflector of course) then I filled it up using rucksack liner bags, closed by draw strings, full of clothes and other similar laundry bags. I had a series 1 Lotus Elise for 7 years and used the same technique for filling it’s bizarre boot.
It worked well as long as you don’t want to put the hood down of course. Most of the journey was fast autoroute which isn’t very comfortable at high speed anyway for hours on end top down.
To empty it at the end of the trip means taking the small bags out one by one from the hold-all, but not such a big deal.
PS I am not sure how strong this storage platform is so I put heavy items in the main boot.
2014 V6S Italian Racing Red, chrome blacked out, 20” black painted wheels, R body kit.

daytona650

Post by daytona650 »

Yep - use it all the time for long trips (we live in France and the UK too)

You do similar to us. It either gets a few medium size draw string bags in it or coats if it's that time of year. We tend to stick to soft clothes etc in the bags.

Where abouts in France mon ami?
2013 V6S Convertible - Salsa Red, Performance Seats, 20" Wheels, Climate Pack.
howard

Post by howard »

how do you remove the wind deflector?
Sollita

Post by Sollita »

Hi Daytona650,
We spend 5 months a year in Marseillan, Herault, on the Etang de Thau, between Sete & Agde on the Med. We take the F type down in May and bring it back in October.
Ashley
2014 V6S Italian Racing Red, chrome blacked out, 20” black painted wheels, R body kit.
Sollita

Post by Sollita »

howard wrote: Tue Sep 04, 2018 9:55 pm how do you remove the wind deflector?
Push down deflector at one side and flip top section of mount fwd then repeat the other side. See You Tube video “how to remove f type windscreen”

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post