2 months in, questions/advice for the wiser!

Anything F-Type related......
Jimbo095

Post by Jimbo095 »

Hi all

I'm now 2 months or so in to ownership and invariably a few niggles/questions have come to mind so hoping some you lovely peeps can shed some light and/or offer some advice. Not to butter everyone up but this group and the FB groups I've joined I think are brilliant, it's rare to see negativity/criticism and the like towards other members and their posts. I'm loving the car thus far the items below are only a minor detraction from the enjoyment, I could reel off many positives that I'm sure have been written before so will just get to the nitty gritty!!

In no particular order...

1. Speakers (370 meridian) I feel are either inadequate, need some attention/insulation or the user is not setting them up to the optimum settings! I get buzzing/vibrating from the door and rear speakers along with some bass that just feels the speakers can't cope or are cheap. I have seen a Topix fix for sound deadening/padding but am wondering if anyone has other words of wisdom, apart from open the windows and press the LOUD button!! :D

2. Rear number plate: I see some cars have the shaped number plate and some cars have regular sized ones, mine has the former as the dealer use them as a routine. I personally think the shaped ones are aesthetically more pleasing as they fit the gap perfectly. What I'm after is somewhere I can buy a blank template of the perspex/acrylic so I can manipulate the spacing a little at my local number plate printing place. As it stands they can't get the right size from their usual supplier and the Jag dealer understandably won't provide a 'blank' as their logo and postcode is embedded in it. Apparently it's the same size at the old XK8 plate, I did order one but I got a cheap bit of black plastic with a barely reflective yellow stickered surface requiring some black stickers to put the letters/numbers on! I've seen one done like this in the flesh and it looks plain awful and the lettering withers with heat from the sun!

3. Rear diff, cross brace, subframe area rust: Essentially how bad are we talking to be unacceptable insist on replacement parts? My car only has 700 miles but was built in 2016 and has some surface rust.

4. Rattling trim!: My pet hate! I do seem to get a fair few trim vibrations/rattles that just plain irritate me. Mostly from rear towards parcel shelf and boot strut area but hard to pinpoint, even the rear centre console trim has it's moments! There can be some from in and around the top of the dashboard but again, hard to pinpoint.

5. Tyres: I have the factory Pirelli's but have read amongst the threads the benefit of MPSS's, are we talking ride/grip/handling/noise or all of the above?!

6. AP Velocity upgrade: I believe several of you have gone down the SC pulley and remap via AP and used David Appleby Engineering, I'm considering doing the same but wondered if any other SVR owners have done it yet and their thoughts. I also understand TImbo has done it to his R along with the 200 cell catalyst, what exactly does that entail and what are the effects? I see there are plenty of positive comments Tim, looking forward to hearing the sound for myself if I can make a breakfast club at some point!

Any other common things I should be checking as it'll be heading to dealers soon to hopefully address the OSF wheel arch panel gaps and overpaint!!!??

Thanks all in advance, I'm sure I've got more questions stashed and to come!!! :roll:, yes I'm a tad OCD but guess there are worse flaws!!
Last edited by Jimbo095 on Mon Sep 10, 2018 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AdrianL

Post by AdrianL »

2019MY i4
Jimbo095

Post by Jimbo095 »

Top man, however I don't think they offer 'creative' spacing looking at their website, will give them a shout though just in case...
ajbh

Post by ajbh »

Can only help with one :)

Pirellis -> Michelin I found better grip and handling but they were more noisy.
basher

Post by basher »

Hi Jim,

I'm also 2 -3 months into ownership, but thankfully have fewer "niggles" than you. ;)

380 Meridien. I'm actually really happy with it, even compared to my old TTS 680 B&O system. Yes - it's not as configurable, but I don't play my music anywhere near as loud as I used too, so I can hear the wonderful exhaust. In fact, more often than not, I choose not to listen to any music at all. :mrgreen:

Rusty rear cross brace. I asked dealer to treat it under warranty during 1st service last month. They duly obliged. Not sure exactly what treatment they applied, but it has been painted.
Rhodium silver F-Type 400 Sport AWD coupe.

PB Brakes big brake kit: drilled & slotted rotors, big yellow calipers. 😁
Jimbo095

Post by Jimbo095 »

Thanks peeps, perhaps I'm a bit too OCD basher which may explain my perceived niggles!!! Meridien wise it may just need tweaking, it's not that bad but certainly noticeable on certain songs more than others. I've looked at the technical bulletin for padding out the rattling speakers and my car is not one of the VIN numbers affected, allegedly! Car is going in for a once over to check common issues so will get them to check all my issues and ask them to treat rust on cross brace, I'll try and get a photo of it too...

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post