SVR shopping - top tips wanted

Anything F-Type related......
Steve C

Post by Steve C »

Calling SVR owners...I could do with a bit of your experience here :)

I will be venturing out in October to take a serious look at some nearly new SVR coupes - MY18s preferred to get the new style seats and the LED's. I've already taken on board some of the advice on here about the main options to have if possible - carbon wing, carbon exterior & interior, pano roof or carbon roof etc. No fussed about carbon ceramic brakes as it will be a road car - no track days.

Any other thoughts on what I should be looking for and any common sort of faults that crop up?

Also there are quite a few ex-Jag fleet cars hitting the market at present - and in total there are a dozen or so SVRs on Jag approved used and Auto Trader in various states of spec that could fit the bill. I am bit cautious about these given some will have been demonstrators or press hacks - one that looked quite nice I spotted in a Top Gear review so has probably has a hard couple of years life!

Feedback much appreciated.

Steve.

scm

Post by scm »

I've had two Jaguar ex-management cars, a 2010 XKR and my present F-Type. The XKR had done 11250 miles in 3 years, and the F-Type had 3,000 on it when I took delivery. Try to find an ex-management car as they've probably been "owned" by someone very local to the factory so won't have huge mileages. As you say, avoid the fleet ones that have likely been thrashed!
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
Kdes

Post by Kdes »

You probably don’t want one of the jaguar experience demo cars from the Goodwood festival of speed either, though from what I saw they were all v6s

Kev
Last edited by Kdes on Sun Sep 30, 2018 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Storm Grey V6 coupe 2016MY
Steve C

Post by Steve C »

Thanks Gents,

I have spotted one that is ex-retailer management on an 18 plate that is worth a look. Hopefully they might drop the price in the 2 weeks before I can go hunting...
RRB

Post by RRB »

Probably a daft question.....how do you tell if they are ex management cars?
2017 Black 400s convertible :D
cj10jeeper

Post by cj10jeeper »

RRB wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:59 am Probably a daft question.....how do you tell if they are ex management cars?
Retailer management - just demonstrators that are assigned to an individual manager. They get to take it home. Demo in the day
My Evoque is one of them..
2014 MY 3.0 V6S Roadster
Subtle enhancements to create the car I wanted from SVR nose cone, 400 series side skirts & customised 'design' rear bumper, to heated SVR steering wheel and more
Steve C

Post by Steve C »

cj10jeeper wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:36 am
RRB wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:59 am Probably a daft question.....how do you tell if they are ex management cars?
Retailer management - just demonstrators that are assigned to an individual manager. They get to take it home. Demo in the day
My Evoque is one of them..
Good to know, thanks.

The Jag 'approved used' website distinguishes between them - in the lower right corner of the photos, quite a few are flagged as 'Jaguar internal fleet' but one or two are flagged as 'Retailer management' - although to be fair they caveat both sets as having potential multiple users. Based on this I think there's not a lot of difference in reality.
Jimbo095

Post by Jimbo095 »

I bought an ex JLR owned static demonstrator a couple of months ago with only 315 miles on the clock but a Feb 2016 car 65 plate. As it was not used on the road but on stands it wasn't registered with DVLA until November 2017 but the plate has to reflect the manufacturing date so is a 2017 65 plate on the V5. I was advised by the dealer that the factory warranty would expire Feb 2019 but I'd get the 2 years approved used from the day I bought it. On the JLR system it showed as that too but the warranty department had it covered under factory warranty until November 2020, reflecting the reg date. So, long story short with a little assistance at my local dealer I managed to get it changed in the main system to November 2020, bonus.

I had been close to buying a 2017 car with 24,000 miles for similar and similar spec that ironically was a Jaguar management car. I ended up sacrificing the LED lights and new seats etc for essentially a 'brand new' not even run in car albeit the pre-facelft model. To spec the car came out at over £130,000 so I was happy with taking the significant discount on an 'older' car. I'm very much starting to bond with the car but have some OCD niggles as always! Still only has 800 miles on the clock so long term it's always going to be a low miler. Best of luck in your search, I think the noise/test drive will instantly convince you. Below is a link to my car's twin, exact same spec except mine has the alcantara steering wheel, the registration is even only one digit out and registered the same day. BTW, I love the carbon roof but am sure the pan roof is equally as pleasant brightening up the place! Oh, the carbon brakes I wasn't fussed about and would never pay nearly £9k for however, given they are supposed to potentially last the life of the car and there is no noticeable brake dust it's a big winner for me and I'm not tracking the car either.

https://used.jaguar.co.uk/search#/details/2888235
Steve C

Post by Steve C »

Jimbo095 wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:57 am I bought an ex JLR owned static demonstrator a couple of months ago with only 315 miles on the clock but a Feb 2016 car 65 plate. As it was not used on the road but on stands it wasn't registered with DVLA until November 2017 but the plate has to reflect the manufacturing date so is a 2017 65 plate on the V5. I was advised by the dealer that the factory warranty would expire Feb 2019 but I'd get the 2 years approved used from the day I bought it. On the JLR system it showed as that too but the warranty department had it covered under factory warranty until November 2020, reflecting the reg date. So, long story short with a little assistance at my local dealer I managed to get it changed in the main system to November 2020, bonus.

I had been close to buying a 2017 car with 24,000 miles for similar and similar spec that ironically was a Jaguar management car. I ended up sacrificing the LED lights and new seats etc for essentially a 'brand new' not even run in car albeit the pre-facelft model. To spec the car came out at over £130,000 so I was happy with taking the significant discount on an 'older' car. I'm very much starting to bond with the car but have some OCD niggles as always! Still only has 800 miles on the clock so long term it's always going to be a low miler. Best of luck in your search, I think the noise/test drive will instantly convince you. Below is a link to my car's twin, exact same spec except mine has the alcantara steering wheel, the registration is even only one digit out and registered the same day. BTW, I love the carbon roof but am sure the pan roof is equally as pleasant brightening up the place! Oh, the carbon brakes I wasn't fussed about and would never pay nearly £9k for however, given they are supposed to potentially last the life of the car and there is no noticeable brake dust it's a big winner for me and I'm not tracking the car either.

https://used.jaguar.co.uk/search#/details/2888235
Jimbo,

Many thanks - this is really useful stuff. I had seen the car you linked (I've looked at all of them on the Jag Approved Used site!) and was wondering about the plate and year discrepancy.

What you say about the brakes is also good to know - I had been put off by the potential replacement cost but if the Carbon Ceramic discs effectively last for life then presumably the only time you need to grit your teeth is when replacing the pads? (Saw on another thread that a set of 4 replacement pads was North of £2k). Any idea whether the pads also have a longer life than those for the standard steel brakes?

Cheers,
Steve.
Jimbo095

Post by Jimbo095 »

I'm not sure about why they last so long but can only assume it's the pad/disc composition. Apparently the 2017 car with 24,000 miles still had around two thirds of pad life left too and they'd not been replaced! Bodes well I'd say and yes I read somewhere it was around £900 for a pair of pads, suffice to say I won't enjoy that day if/when it comes!! The £4k I paid for full PPF I paid after collecting the car still hurts now but the peace of mind factor was worth it, even just for my more relaxed cleaning method let alone stone chip prevention!! Incidentally the Firesand is much nicer in the flesh, from a personal point of view anyway. I originally considered wrapping it as I wanted the spec but wasn't 100% sold on the colour, I love it now! My buying thread if you need some bedtime reading, forum contributors invaluable...

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=2749&hilit=firesand

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post