Test your and your cars limits

Anything F-Type related......
scharlton

Post by scharlton »

Hi All,

Had my second visit to Car Limits who operate out of North Weald aerodrome near Harlow.

They run a day course which teches you the basics of car control in a very clear, informative and exciting way. The day basically consists of various techniques including
  • Braking - how to stop in the shortest distance, which from 60mph they managed to save 28m off my original distance
  • High speed turn - accelerate to 70mph then lift off throttle and turn left. Sounds easy but unless you are feeling the car through the steering wheel you will spin but once they've taught you what to do and with some practice it starts to make sense and the spins turn into controlled turns
  • Very high speed turn - once you have the hang of that they increase to 90 mph and do the same under hard braking, very exciting especially as you brain tells you it's too fast and hang onto everything with a death grip but in fact you must relax and be gentle to feel what's happening through the steering wheel
  • After some more exercises in the afternoon it's some laps around a cone course with the stop watch running to put into practise what you have learned
Overall a great day and the skill of the instructors is impressive. Depending on how heavy your right foot is you'll lose 1mm or 2mm of tyre tread and I averaged 9.8mpg over 52 miles on the day.

I'd put up some video I took on the day if I can work out how to change from .MP4 so this forum will accept it, any ideas or software reccomendations and file formats greatfully accepted.
2014 Coupe 5.0R RWD
White
Herts

Grosey

Post by Grosey »

Upload to YouTube and post the link?
Dan_Veluwe

Post by Dan_Veluwe »

@scharlton.
Sounds like fun ! Does your own car insurance cover the damage if you crash during the course ? Mine doesn't...
But maybe different rules apply for the insurances in the UK..
Range Rover P400e autobiography Loire Blue (2019) :P
Mazda__MX30_RED___2021_ BEV
FT jag _P300 _Ultra Bleu, 2018 ___________SOLD :(
D5 lr__SD4__Corris Grey, Blck roof, 2018_SOLD :roll:
FP Jag – 25t _Loire Blue ,2020 ____________SOLD :|
PussCat

Post by PussCat »

Thanks scharlton. Link doesn't work, but a search using >>> car limits Harlow <<< gives the carlimits site at the top of the page.

As a numpty driver, I'm seriously considering that or a similar course.
VROOOOM! (Pockle Pockle Pockle) MY17 V6S coupe in BRG.
scm

Post by scm »

Dan_Veluwe wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 5:44 pm Does your own car insurance cover the damage if you crash during the course ? Mine doesn't...
But maybe different rules apply for the insurances in the UK..
My insurance excludes track use, and racing (on or off the highway!). Basically, it only covers driving "sensibly" on public roads. :(
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
Dan_Veluwe

Post by Dan_Veluwe »

scm wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 7:25 pmMy insurance excludes track use, and racing (on or off the highway!). Basically, it only covers driving "sensibly" on public roads. :(
:shock: ... ... I better remove my youtube dashcam recordings... :mrgreen:
Range Rover P400e autobiography Loire Blue (2019) :P
Mazda__MX30_RED___2021_ BEV
FT jag _P300 _Ultra Bleu, 2018 ___________SOLD :(
D5 lr__SD4__Corris Grey, Blck roof, 2018_SOLD :roll:
FP Jag – 25t _Loire Blue ,2020 ____________SOLD :|
PussCat

Post by PussCat »

The video at the top of the Car Limits page is quite instructive in itself, and well worth a look.
VROOOOM! (Pockle Pockle Pockle) MY17 V6S coupe in BRG.
PhilB

Post by PhilB »

scharlton wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 4:12 pm I'd put up some video I took on the day if I can work out how to change from .MP4 so this forum will accept it, any ideas or software reccomendations and file formats greatfully accepted.
The site will accept direct uploads of still pics but video has to be posted via an external link to a site such as You Toob or other picture/video hosting site.
scharlton

Post by scharlton »

Hi all,
Here are some links and replies to your questions and comments

I guess I wasn't insured but this is not a track day, it's based on an open airfield with plenty of run-off and I reckon there's no chance on crashing your car although I do know someone whose car broke a suspension part doing this so it's not completely without risk.
2014 Coupe 5.0R RWD
White
Herts
Jaguandy

Post by Jaguandy »

Wow, that spin just kept going, looked like my old Capri type spin. I'm surprised the opposite lock didn't tame it.
I have the AWD, but must look into some airfield tests. Thanks.
F-Type R Coupe Firenze (Italian Racing Red) AWD MY16

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post